Reloading the Berger 230 Match Hybrid Target

gaps

What is the best way to develop a load for the Berger 230gr Match Hybrid Target? I am new to reloading and I want to know what is the best way to find a load. I am shooting a Phoenix Custom Rifle 300RUM with a blueprinted 700 action and 28" Kreiger barrel. I would like to load these at max or close to max charge as long as they are .5" or better. I know that max velocity and max accuracy is a tough combo but I want to find the best mixture between the two. I was planning on finding my max coal and max charge, then seeing how it groups. And then play with seating if I need to for better accuracy. Am I on the right track?

I have a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme reloading kit that I need to buy dies for. This is where I'm hung up on what dies to buy. What dies are you guys using for the 230s? I was going to get the rcbs dies to go with it. Will this setup work or do the 230s require a special seating die? Do you full length or just neck size?

I have 100 unfired Remington Brass primed with federal 215m. I also have one 8lb jug of Retumbo and three 1lb jugs of H1000.

I use the Hornady New Dimension or Custom grade dies, they have a sleeve inside that holds the bullet straight while it seats it in the case.
If you try to use the maximum velocity load and try to tune it for accuracy you are going to pull your hair out or burn your barrel out.
You will need to load up some rounds in 1/2 grain increments till the bolt handle just gets a little hard to open then drop back 2 grains and that is your max load. Then load 3 rounds at 1/2 grain increments to your new found max and take it out and shoot it at 300 yrds. ( When I was working up loads for my 338 Ultra mag they didn't group good at 100 yrds, then I found out that the longer bullets don't start to go to sleep, or stabilize to past 200 yrds ) then they will group better. Find your best 2 groups and go from there, by adjusting seating depth or powder charges just a little.
Sizing will depend if your once fired cases will chamber back in your rifle, then you could just size them till you resize about a 1/4 inch of the neck.
Good luck and keep us informed.
Tarey

Don't get too hung up on velocity, find the best shooting loads even if that means you're a few fps back of the all out max. Your cases and barrel will thank you

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.