Reloading 215 and 230 gr Hybrid Target

kellyz

I plan on working up loads for the above two bullets for my 300 RUM. It is a Remington 700 BDL action with BDL bottom metal. For the 215 gr, I plan on maintaining the rifle as a repeater. I use Remington brass, CCI 250 primers, and preferably Retumbo powder (I also have 1 lb of H1000). I am looking for help with OAL and starting powder charge from someone who has already gone through the exercise. For the 230 gr, I am looking to maximize OAL. I plan on using the same brass and primers, but will try RE33 based on the reported gains people are seeing. Looking for help on OAL and starting powder charge. Thanks in advance!

Kellyz,
Finding a "sweet spot" OAL is particular to the rifle. No two are alike. What are you planning to do with the rifle? Just hunt? Or target and hunting?
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

Both hunting and target. I just picked up a huskemaw 5-20 and these are the first two turrets I want to order. With the 230 gr, I was planning on having a single shot due to maximizing the cartridge capacity.

Kellyz,
Both the 215 Hybrid Match and 230 grain Hybrid match may not be able to be seated to magazine length because they are a long bullet. The 230 Hybrid Target, since you want to use this basically in the single shot mode you want to make a "dummy" round to the lands ( if you can get there ) and work backwards from the lands in .001 increments at the lowest powder charge listed for that bullet/powder/cartridge combination you are testing. Same for the 215 Hybrid match. This would be for target shooting. For hunting since you want to be able to use your magazine the 185 grain Classic Hunter is about as heavy as you can go for a magazine. The Classic Hunters are also a Hybrid bullet and very easy to tune for. Start at magazine length and work out in or back in .001 increments using the Lowest powder charge as listed above and work in the magazine box to find your seating depth "sweet spot". Don't be afraid to jump a Hybrid bullet. Its what they are designed for. Our hunting bullets have a little thinner jacket so they expand violently after penetrating 2-4 inches causing tremendous hydrostatic shock to the animal so the chances are increased that the animal will drop where its hit. We don't recommend using our target bullets for hunting because they leave a much smaller wound channel and may just "pencil" through the animal. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask. We are here to help. Thanks for using our bullets!
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

I know people that load the 210 gr. hunting vld at magazine length with good results. Maybe that is the route that I need to go if the 215 hybrids are too long. I was looking at the 1st edition Berger reloading manual and did not see information for the 215 gr bullets or information on RE33 for the 230 gr bullets. Is there a newer edition out?

Kellyz,
Yeah, in some cases you can seat a VLD or even the 215 Hybrid to work through the magazines IF they have modified their rifle with new, longer Bottom metal that is available through some custom gunsmiths or Brownells. But even then there may be an issue with optimal seating depth depending on the rifles likes or dislikes. Please contact us at [email protected] for the load information.
Take care!
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

Thanks for the info Phil! Anyone out there have good luck loading the 215 gr Hybrids to R700 BDL magazine length?

Kellyz,
Not that I know of right off hand .But that doesn't mean someone somewhere has been able to do it. Some guys have all the luck you know. If you cant get it done in the magazine that's in the rifle now. You can always upgrade the mag box and bottom metal and see if that will get you to where you need to be. A new barrel with the right throat may also have to be added to the mix. Its just money. At least that's what I tell my wife... then duck!
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

Kellyz,
Please contact [email protected] and we can help you with the 215 Hybrid load info. And work up something with the RL33 for the 230 grain. Please include what you need and the cartridge.
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

I worked up a load using HbN coated 230 hybrids kissing the lands with H50BMG and Nosler brass. I ended on Berger's max load listed at 94 grains for 2985 out of my 28" pac-nor. Max was 95 grains in my rifle, but got a better SD at 94. I am bringing the rig out to do some long range shooting tomorrow to confirm drops and see if they stay stable in cold weather out of my 10" twist. If I had a 4" wyatts box the rifle would be a repeater as the loads are 3.815" long. With .010" jump my max was 97 grains. As always start low and work up.

Reuben

Thanks for the info Phil! Anyone out there have good luck loading the 215 gr Hybrids to R700 BDL magazine length?

If this helps.... I shoot both the 215 and 230 OTM out of my .300 win mag. For the 215's, 77.7 grains of H1000 gives me 3012 fps. (30" Broughton 5c bbl) For the 230 OTMs i shoot 76.3 grains of Retumbo at 2900 fps.
If you want a good bullet that is EASY to tune ( and mag friendly ) I'd shoot the 230 OTM. I have shot deer out to 700 yards with it and 7/7 have dropped in their tracks past 500 yards.
The 215 is a great bullet but needs to be seated MUCH closer to the lands. And it's just as long as the OTM. I can't mag feed ( AICS ) with them as they are 3.725" long coal. Whereas my 230 OTM is 3.610".

I tried Retumbo with the 215's also but the speed was not there. Great load but the ES & SD were a bit high.

So in a nutshell , I'd give Retumbo and the 230 OTM a try...

If this helps.... I shoot both the 215 and 230 OTM out of my .300 win mag. For the 215's, 77.7 grains of H1000 gives me 3012 fps. (30" Broughton 5c bbl) For the 230 OTMs i shoot 76.3 grains of Retumbo at 2900 fps.
If you want a good bullet that is EASY to tune ( and mag friendly ) I'd shoot the 230 OTM. I have shot deer out to 700 yards with it and 7/7 have dropped in their tracks past 500 yards.
The 215 is a great bullet but needs to be seated MUCH closer to the lands. And it's just as long as the OTM. I can't mag feed ( AICS ) with them as they are 3.725" long coal. Whereas my 230 OTM is 3.610".

I tried Retumbo with the 215's also but the speed was not there. Great load but the ES & SD were a bit high.

So in a nutshell , I'd give Retumbo and the 230 OTM a try...
Ainsmall55,
Glad the 230 is working out for you! That bullet was designed around the 300 WM so should work really well at mag length. The 215 Hybrid is a different animal and your experience is not uncommon. Maybe a longer aftermarket magazine box/bottom metal would help there. That 3 shot group with the 215s is great! Did you try it at a longer range to see if the SD VARIANCE made a difference? Sometimes we can find a good load that exhibits great accuracy but has an ES and SD that INDICATES the load MAY have an issue at longer range. Testing is the only way to confirm this.
Thanks for the feedback!
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.