reloading dies for bergers

retiredcpo

With the longer lenght of the bergers is there a prefered brand of dies for loading them so you wont have a issuse with the die pushing on the point instead of the bullet.
retiredcpo

I have notice this is a problem with several of the long secant ogive bullet designs, not just Bergers and to make matters worse it is excentuated when you are compressing loads. You may have to buy a special seater stem if one is available (Hornady A-max comes to mind) or have one made/modified by a machinist. In order to seat 7mm 160grn A-maxs I drilled a relief hole to clear the polymer tip then used bedding compound to form a perfect match to the ogive, worked but not ideal. Good luck.

You are talking about hollow points only. If there is evidence of bumping on the meplat (tip) of the bullet, then this is a problem. I know that Wilson will modify their seating cup for free. Redding and RCBS may do likewise. Check with them.

I modify the seater stem myself by drilling a slightly smaller hole inside the stem to allow just enough clearance for the bergers without deforming the tip. Easy fix and it doesnt change what comes into contact with the bullet so everything stays true.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.