what did I do?

kyron

I recently received and installed a new trigger in my Remington 700. It is the Trigger Tech trigger. When I got back out to the range, something was very wrong.

My rifle was shooting around 1/2 MOA at 100 yards with a ten shot group. Now it is shooting at best 4 MOA with a 3 shot group.

I checked all the screws. Nothing was loose but I was able to add a little torque to the screws that hold the rings on the base. Back out to the range still 4+ MOA.

While looking over the rifle as thoroughly as I could I noticed something. The fore-end would flex to meet the barrel. This is a factory SPS stock so it is supposed to be supported at the fore-end, and it was before.

I cleaned up the action everywhere it contacts the stock, cleaned the stock. When I put the action back in the stock the action seems to fit perfectly, but the barrel is still floating.

Any ideas how this happened or how to fix it?

The order you torque the screws in can cause this on a Savage anyway. If you torque the front too much before doing the back the action will tilt and either be too high or low in the front especially if not fully bedded. I would look up HOW to torque the screws and the VALUES and go from there. I'm not a Remmy guy but I would guess that is the issue.

According to Remington 30-35 inch pounds. I can not find anything about them needing to be tightened in any particular order. I have tried both a little at a time, front first, back first. All gave the same result.

thanks for the suggestion though

Snug the front first.....then the rear! Not overly much on the rear as the action can be slightly bent out of alignment! Last step...take front down to around 40 inch pounds. If a good pillar bedding job is done....just snug down until hold down bolts bottom out!

Shortgrass,

Yeah I can see clearance all the way around the trigger when I put the stock on the action.

RMulhern,

Tried that procedure, barrel still floating. It is the factory SPS stock, from what I have read it can not really be pillared because the plastic used in it is a natural release agent.

I think the action screw torque might be the culprit, if you are 100% positive the new trigger isn't touching the stock.

I get what you are saying, but I've tightened them down, taken the whole thing apart and tried again at least a dozen times and no change. I have removed the barreled action before and had no trouble getting it back in.

The really odd thing is without even putting the bottom metal on, just putting the action in the stock I am getting the gap between the barrel and the fore-end. I don't think that was true before.

The security of the scope was the first thing I checked. Well The first thing after firing 20 rounds and wondering what the heck was going on.

Anyway I may have found a partial answer. My bipod is currently MIA so I was shooting today off a large center bag. the weight of the rifle was on the center not on the ends. I just trying holding the rifle by the ends of the stock and the gap was gone. Hold by the center or straight up and the gap came back.

Cheap piece of crap factory stock.

I get what you are saying, but I've tightened them down, taken the whole thing apart and tried again at least a dozen times and no change. I have removed the barreled action before and had no trouble getting it back in.

The really odd thing is without even putting the bottom metal on, just putting the action in the stock I am getting the gap between the barrel and the fore-end. I don't think that was true before.

Just tightening them down is not a precise science. Get yourself an inch-pound torque wrench and properly torque them.

If that still doesn't help, putting it into a good stock with a full-length aluminum bed block, and then skim-bed it, float the barrel, and torque to 65 inch-pounds.

The security of the scope was the first thing I checked. Well The first thing after firing 20 rounds and wondering what the heck was going on.

Anyway I may have found a partial answer. My bipod is currently MIA so I was shooting today off a large center bag. the weight of the rifle was on the center not on the ends. I just trying holding the rifle by the ends of the stock and the gap was gone. Hold by the center or straight up and the gap came back.

Cheap piece of crap factory stock.

Yes they are. Get an HS Precision, Manners, or Stocky's Long Range Composite stock.

Factory stocks are flimsy to say the least.

Stocky's Sotcks has new Carbon Fiber Stocks (Ag Composite) on sale now for $399, normally $599. We have a custom built with it and really like it so far. Good price for a carbon fiber stock.
Brian

I only see $477 stocks?

How do they compare to manners eh1? Also can you get flush cups Installed?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.