What cartridge?

I'm torn between what cartridge to chamber a custom rifle in. This will be a hunting rifle and primarily for Whitetails, Black Bear, Mule Deer and Antelope, with the intent of doing a few Elk hunts. This must be able to accurately shoot past 1000 yards though. I realize there are a lot of cartridges that fit this bill and can effectively take down any of the above animals. However, I'd rather not shoot a 300 wm or other hammer if I don't need to. I'd also rather restrict my distance on Elk to 700-800 yards as well as I do t plant on doing a whole lot of Elk hunting. Accuracy (easier to tune and load), barrel life, etc. are of high importance here. Unfortunately I do not have much experience with most long range calibers/cartridges and mostly shoot .30-06, .308, .270. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor which I shoot to 1000 yards but would not shoot any of the above other than possible Antelope at that range (would have to research that even). So I am looking for recommendations from you guys. I have considered 300 PRC, 28 Nosler, 7mm WSM, etc.. I think the .277-.284 caliber cartridges probably fit the bill but don't hear too much about the .277's anymore. And the 28 Nosler sounds like it has horrible barrel life.
From what you are describing . You do this with a 7mm Rem mag or any of the high performance 300s . I wouldn't even count out a 30-06. I am a fan of the old 30s though. There are a lot exotic rounds these days but I like to keep it simple and reliable.

I'm torn between what cartridge to chamber a custom rifle in. This will be a hunting rifle and primarily for Whitetails, Black Bear, Mule Deer and Antelope, with the intent of doing a few Elk hunts. This must be able to accurately shoot past 1000 yards though. I realize there are a lot of cartridges that fit this bill and can effectively take down any of the above animals. However, I'd rather not shoot a 300 wm or other hammer if I don't need to. I'd also rather restrict my distance on Elk to 700-800 yards as well as I do t plant on doing a whole lot of Elk hunting. Accuracy (easier to tune and load), barrel life, etc. are of high importance here. Unfortunately I do not have much experience with most long range calibers/cartridges and mostly shoot .30-06, .308, .270. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor which I shoot to 1000 yards but would not shoot any of the above other than possible Antelope at that range (would have to research that even). So I am looking for recommendations from you guys. I have considered 300 PRC, 28 Nosler, 7mm WSM, etc.. I think the .277-.284 caliber cartridges probably fit the bill but don't hear too much about the .277's anymore. And the 28 Nosler sounds like it has horrible barrel life.
I was in that very same predicament many moons ago, my go too cal was 30.06 at the time but I wanted something more. I bought a Browning A Bolt ll in 7mm Rem mag. With the BOSS System. The ballistics & versatility & extended range capability can't be beat.

I suggest a 270 WSM. I built two of them for my now 19 year old twin girls. They started shooting them at 16. The rifles have 26" barrels and Thunderbeast suppressors

We use 170 grain Berger Elite Hunter, IMR 7977 powder and Norma brass. Everyone that gets behind those rifles remarks that the rifles are soft shooters.

We shoot steel with those rifles out to 1,300+ yards. We've taken elk, mule deer and antelope.

Adding a muzzle break to a 300 mag, 7mm mag or a 270 WSM would decrease recoil substantially.

If you like the 7mm, look into the Sherman Short Mags, they have ready brass from ADG i believe, but they are also very efficient and very effective in a true short action. They look to out perform the saum, I have a medium action Razor from Lone Peak and I am doing the 7Max which will give me a little more performance above the wsm.

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

7mm would be my choice

No matter what you choose - understand shooting big game at 700+ yards - hell - even a "mere" 500 yards - is NO SLAM DUNK. Wind is one of the biggest bugaboos - as well as the other variables that make it tougher to hit what you want as the distance increases. I wonder how many hunters have either missed or just wounded animals at these distances ? Don't hear much about that. Growing up - I bet I hunted as much as anybody - in the hills of Southern Oregon. We had BIG Mulies (measured by weight - 300 pounds plus - not racks ) - but we were in tall timber - and rarely shot anything over 100 yards. We also did not want to wound animals. We didn't have many Elks back in the 50's/early 60's - but some elk have moved down from Central Oregon (Or also - have come up from northern Cal) - in the past 50+ years - and a HUGE 7x7 - that weighed 1,100 lbs - bull elk - was recently taken just outside of town - Klamath Falls - - measuring over 400. :) I am guessing he was part Roosevelt elk - with the big body - and part rock Mountain elk - with the big rack. :)

I suggest a 270 WSM. I built two of them for my now 19 year old twin girls. They started shooting them at 16. The rifles have 26" barrels and Thunderbeast suppressors

We use 170 grain Berger Elite Hunter, IMR 7977 powder and Norma brass. Everyone that gets behind those rifles remarks that the rifles are soft shooters.

We shoot steel with those rifles out to 1,300+ yards. We've taken elk, mule deer and antelope.

I would look into 270WSM as well. Brass is available, factory ammo as well (just in case) and it is a great round for everything you mentioned in your original post that would use for.

I love 7mm and own several; a 7mm mauser, a 7mag, 7STW, and most recently a 28 Nosler. Anything from 7mag up will work, but don't count out the .30 cal. A light weight 300 WinMag with a muzzle break is easy to shoot/carry, lots of ammo availability, and it's definitely not too much hammer for what you wanna do.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.