What caliber rifle for coues deer

oldfarmer1

I am a converted bow hunter for the last 40 years. Still hunt WV and Pa with a remington 760 in .270. My son moved to AZ six years ago and I have had a chance to bow hunt mule deer with him. Now I have a chance to hunt coues deer during gun season. He tells me the shots could be between 300 and 350. Should I consider getting a new gun? If so what caliber? If not what weight and factory bullet recomendations. I do not reload and do not know someone who does. Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your 270 for Coues deer. A very large buck will field dress at 110-115 lbs. with smaller bucks dressing at 60 to 90 lbs. I have taken several over the years with a 243 and an 85 gr. hollow point boat tail out to 300 yards with well placed shots. Welcome to Arizona hunting the little gray ghosts!

As long as your 760( I assume it's a pump action) can hit a milk jug reliably at that range, you will be fine. I use a 284 Winchester with 140gr bullets.

Hunting coues is more about finding them and being able to hit a small target and less about " fire power".

Whatever caliber you can consistently hit an 8" circle with at the ranges you expect to shoot. I've taken several coues and my average shot is around the 350yd range. These deer are only 12" from the top of their back to the bottom of their chest. It's also very seldom not windy in the canyon country they call home. I encourage you to get out and prove to yourself what your maximum effective range is and have enough respect for the animal to hold yourself to this range. If you find you can only stay inside 8" at 100yds then that's ok, you are an experienced bowhunter. I wish you the best of luck!!! The best part is you'll be hunting with your son!!!

I am a converted bow hunter for the last 40 years. Still hunt WV and Pa with a remington 760 in .270. My son moved to AZ six years ago and I have had a chance to bow hunt mule deer with him. Now I have a chance to hunt coues deer during gun season. He tells me the shots could be between 300 and 350. Should I consider getting a new gun? If so what caliber? If not what weight and factory bullet recomendations. I do not reload and do not know someone who does. Any help would be greatly appreaciated.
Take your ole 760 our and do some shooting at those ranges and see how it performs for you.

If you can hold MOA or even close to it, then it's all you need.

For 300-350 yards on these small whitetails, your 270 will be perfect as long as its an accurate rifle. From what I have heard, hunting these deer can be tricky and at times, you have to take shots at a very small target so you do need an accurate rifle but the 270 in an accurate rifle is plenty for these deer at ranges well past the range you list.

Your .270 will do fine. Very popular round for hunting Coues. Your son is correct that 300-350 being common, but be prepared to shoot farther if possible. Practice out as far as you can - even if you don't feel comfortable shooting farther, the practice will make closer shots seem easier. Good luck!

I know a 300 RUM works well! This one was at 470 yards so be prepared to go long. DSCN0391.jpg

Almost 2 years ago, I took my long range tikka 595 rifle in .260 Remington, along with a bipod and a range finder, to make a 300-600 yard shot on Coues deer. The very first morning of the season, my rifle brought down a very decent Coues deer at the incredible distance of 50 (fifty) yards. Keep the scope's magnification at the extreme low end while walking. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.