what bullets for 338 LM

View attachment 210841I hunt with mine and have been running the burger 250 grain elite hunter and is very accurate out to 1250 yards basically the rifle can shoot better than I can,By the way I have never heard anything about muzzle brakes and boat tail bullet before now
Hey Bill.....can you Shoot "Steak 250 gr instead of Burger" ( gotta hate spell check! ) Or are you just getting Burger because you are using a .338 on Deer?

I have a Weatherby Accumark in 338LM that I hunt with and have been loading the 250 and 300g Noslers Accubond. My longest shots are only 600-800 yards so I prefer them over their LR bullets. Two reasons: I like exit wounds and have more confidence in their performance for shorter shots. The BT's are also not as pronounced but I've not noticed them being any less accurate.

I just always shoot hunting bullets because I do not want to have two different loads and two different types of components for each rifle I like to keep it simple I rarely hunt with them due to the weight but I want to be ready any time at a moments notice

View attachment 210861I was starting out fresh once and I must say that I was doing most everything wrong and still had good results with my savage 338 keep at it read as much as you can and it will only get better mine is a custom chamber cut with a reamer to my specifications so start much lower but my load is Lapua brass federal 215 M primers 94 Grains of retumbo and I also Molly coat My 250 grain Berger elite hunter bullets about 2930 fps
Thats some nice shooting

225 Hornady SP, 250 Lapua Scenars, 300 Lapua Scenars, 300 Berger OTM or Elite Hunters.
All shot extremely well in my Savage 338 LM with factory brake.
Would regularly ring a "bell" (scrap SCBA air tank) at 850 with the Hornady 225's.

I have a Weatherby Accumark in 338LM that I hunt with and have been loading the 250 and 300g Noslers Accubond. My longest shots are only 600-800 yards so I prefer them over their LR bullets. Two reasons: I like exit wounds and have more confidence in their performance for shorter shots. The BT's are also not as pronounced but I've not noticed them being any less accurate.
Six Pack, I have the same rifle. I am working with 300 Nosler CC. So far 95 grn RL33 seems promising at 1/2" but I can get it better. I need to play with seating depth. Do you mind sharing your loads for both the 250 and 300?
Thanks
ASD

I am running the 285ELDs in mine with zero issues. Have been impressed with factory loaded accuracy from Hornady on the 338LM loads unlike some of their other loads.

Now that all my factory ammo is out, Im going with the ELD but in Lapua cases and 215match primers and h1000.

Mine seems to like the Lapua Scenars and the Berger 300 grain Tacticals. Wasn't fond of Rotumbo as H1000 so, that is my powder of choice. Since my knees and hips aren't conducive to hunting anymore, my only shooting is at targets. I had a range master comment that the 300 grainers moved a lot of dirt. When I do my part, it's capable of 3/4 MOA.

RL33 with 300 gr berger bullets , is what I'm shooting . a guy I shoot with I turned on to these too . he has a range from 800 - 1600 . we have shot at 2045 and 2375 . this is a good long range combo . here is a 200 yard target from a week or two ago . I was double checking things . my new lot of powder is slow , compared to the lot I just finished . .

Attachments

• P8170922.JPG
    P8170922.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 102
I am running the 285ELDs in mine with zero issues. Have been impressed with factory loaded accuracy from Hornady on the 338LM loads unlike some of their other loads.

Now that all my factory ammo is out, Im going with the ELD but in Lapua cases and 215match primers and h1000.
I see Bill is having great success with match primers. I have been struggling with the 285s reloading also using H1000 but regular 215.My first experience with match primers were 210m for my 6.5 creedmores. Only thing I changed was the primer. I posted here and found several folks experienced the same results....the primers opened my groups from .250.....to...2.4". So maybe try both as a word of caution on your load development. Just my note! And....I will try the 215m..... but this time I will buy 100 instead of 1000.

I see Bill is having great success with match primers. I have been struggling with the 285s reloading also using H1000 but regular 215.My first experience with match primers were 210m for my 6.5 creedmores. Only thing I changed was the primer. I posted here and found several folks experienced the same results....the primers opened my groups from .250.....to...2.4". So maybe try both as a word of caution on your load development. Just my note! And....I will try the 215m..... but this time I will buy 100 instead of 1000.
Good to hear as I have never seen that but also have only used about 100 of the stash that I have in a 300WM. I will try to pick some of those up next time I am at the store for testing and see how they compare. Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.