what bullets for 338 LM

I am running the 285ELDs in mine with zero issues. Have been impressed with factory loaded accuracy from Hornady on the 338LM loads unlike some of their other loads.

Now that all my factory ammo is out, Im going with the ELD but in Lapua cases and 215match primers and h1000.
One more note...my friend...I was showing signs of pressure at 91.5 GRS...yes 2 over max in the reloading manuals....but that's load development...shooting good now at 91 .....be safe shoot straight! And one more.... excellent results with Sierra Matchings 300 gr.

I use 98 grains of RL33, Federal 215 GM primers in Lapua brass with 300 grain Berger OTM'S. I get 2730 to 2760 fps out of my 26" barrel, and Quickload is spot on. I should mention that I also have throated the barrel to allow an OAL of 3.937" with the bullet .010 off the lands. It is a stout load, Quickload shows 62,950 psi and I believe it. Cip psi is 60,916 psi so it is over CIP pressure, but the original Lapua design was for 65,000 psi. British snipers regularly use "over pressure" ammo in their 338 Lapua AI's. Lapua brass is strong and I have never had an over pressure problem and have fired 800 plus rounds of this load. The case heads have a witness mark of the ejector hole, but not pronounced. I have very good accuracy too, 1/4 to 1/2 moa depending on how well I do my part.

One more note...my friend...I was showing signs of pressure at 91.5 GRS...yes 2 over max in the reloading manuals....but that's load development...shooting good now at 91 .....be safe shoot straight! And one more.... excellent results with Sierra Matchings 300 gr.
Noted. I bought the ELDs without any real testing other than plinking with factory ammo (who plinks with a 338LM, I know...). I normally prefer Bergers but got a good deal on the ELDs at the time. If they dont perform as well Ill be switching to the 300 Bergers most likely.

Noted. I bought the ELDs without any real testing other than plinking with factory ammo (who plinks with a 338LM, I know...). I normally prefer Bergers but got a good deal on the ELDs at the time. If they dont perform as well Ill be switching to the 300 Bergers most likely.
I'm thinking they are next also...and I also do a fair amount of PLINKING with mine...lol

I see Bill is having great success with match primers. I have been struggling with the 285s reloading also using H1000 but regular 215.My first experience with match primers were 210m for my 6.5 creedmores. Only thing I changed was the primer. I posted here and found several folks experienced the same results....the primers opened my groups from .250.....to...2.4". So maybe try both as a word of caution on your load development. Just my note! And....I will try the 215m..... but this time I will buy 100 instead of 1000.
I read somewhere that they are the same primers but the ones that passed their stringent specifications go in the red box the ones that don't pass go in the blue box but it came from the Internet so who knows also I had good luck with CCI 250s but I get about 35 to 40 ft./s more out of the same load with the 215 M

View attachment 210841I hunt with mine and have been running the burger 250 grain elite hunter and is very accurate out to 1250 yards basically the rifle can shoot better than I can,By the way I have never heard anything about muzzle brakes and boat tail bullet before now
Did you ever hear about "stacking 'em like chord wood? " Looks like you do a good job of it!

I would rather have wolves than CWD. Very worried about this year's deer herd in West Tennessee.
You are absolutely correct I'm also worried about this it is the closest that has ever been to me it has been reported two counties west of me

I hunt in Fayette Co. It is the epicenter for Mid South CWD. This may be my last year hunting in W TN. Looking for plan B.

Last edited:
You have to come over to Wayne county there are like five management areas within 45 minutes of my house Eagle Creek being the largest over 20,000 acres Arnold hollow tie camp but dry Creek area has been completely logged out there are still deer there but it's not the same

Also it doesn't apply to me so I'm not positive but I think you have to completely debone and clean any skull plates before you can leave the county with them I know you must to cross the state line we have a lot of hunters come up here from Alabama

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.