What base for 300 RUM

and i will just re-state i have no issue and great flexibility with less expensive solid options. the burris rings and bases in $50 range. does it work ?
300 win mag bench gun shot .31/.32 at 200 when new.
navy seal mk 13 consistent hits at 1790 yds

The 300 rum is by nature very flat shooting and doesn't need as much MOA base as some less powerful cartridges. I also recommend that you buy matching brands of bases and rings for best fit.

Here is one that I recommend.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...-1-piece-maximized-picatinny-style-scope-base

That has the features you need.

J E CUSTOM
Thank you again for your comments,
I am still interested in why the 30 moa base will not be able to be zero'd @ 100?
I like the 300 RUM for the less moa (or in my case mil) needed to get out to 1740, but i'm still confused why I won't be able to get a 100 yard zero?

I know for a fact Nightforce aluminum rings will hold the scope you are wanting to use on this gun with aluminum bases. I have this setup with a 6-24PST and it is solid as a rock. Steel is better? maybe, heavier for sure. If I was using a heavier scope I would go steel for sure. But I know for a fact aluminum will work in this combination. Maybe I just got lucky???

I know for a fact Nightforce aluminum rings will hold the scope you are wanting to use on this gun with aluminum bases. I have this setup with a 6-24PST and it is solid as a rock. Steel is better? maybe, heavier for sure. If I was using a heavier scope I would go steel for sure. But I know for a fact aluminum will work in this combination. Maybe I just got lucky???
Orange Dust,
I ran a set of NF rings on a 6.5cm for a year and had nothing bad to say about them at all (maybe a bit pricey but that's it). I liked those rings and they were holding a NF3x15 F1 , albeit was a lighter caliber but still no issues.

Thank you again for your comments,
I am still interested in why the 30 moa base will not be able to be zero'd @ 100?
I like the 300 RUM for the less moa (or in my case mil) needed to get out to 1740, but i'm still confused why I won't be able to get a 100 yard zero?
The PST has 70min of elevation total. This means you will be at 30 and only have 5 to play with. You may or may not be able to zero the rifle at 100. Even if you do, you will be at the very edge of adjustment. Things can get weird there. That's the reason for a 20min @1000. Puts you in the center of the adjustment range at 1000 or so, and everything works better where you need it to most. Set the gun up for your normal ranges you shoot. That's where you will get the best performance in your scope.

One thing I learned using slanted mounts. Seems that using the level on the scope is just as important shooting groups at 100 as it is shooting long range. Not an expert by any means on optics, but using a base like this makes it more difficult to shoot good groups at 100 yds than with a flat one. Maybe its just me, like I said, not an expert on optics, I've just pulled the trigger a lot.

20min gets my vote too. The RUM is a very flat shooting rifle. 20 min will get you further than you can hit anything without benchrest accuracy.
That's what i'm looking for.
Hopefully will be able to work up a load to run .5to.75 moa accuracy around the 3000fps mark with the factory barrel.
This will be a steel shooter only, so I can take advantage of bullets for just that and not worried about terminal performance.
Will be able to run this gun out to 500, 1000, 1375, 1600, and 1740 at a friend's range. Not really interested in shooting this gun under 1000 except for load development thus the 100 yard zero.
I appreciate everyone's input very much. I'm out of my comfort zone on this one. I've been shooting a .308 for 10+years from 100 to 1000 yards.

You will learn a bunch about handloading shooting past 1000 yards. You will also do most of your load development at 4-500 looking for accuracy nodes you cannot find at 100. Whole new world. Enjoy!

You will learn a bunch about handloading shooting past 1000 yards. You will also do most of your load development at 4-500 looking for accuracy nodes you cannot find at 100. Whole new world. Enjoy!
You are so on point with that!
I'm fortunate to be joining in with some really great guys that are way ahead of me on this.
They do more of a bench rest style with it and all have custom guns (300rum to 338edge).
I'm the prs style shooter and going to see what I can do with the factory remington for now anyway.

You are so on point with that!
I'm fortunate to be joining in with some really great guys that are way ahead of me on this.
They do more of a bench rest style with it and all have custom guns (300rum to 338edge).
I'm the prs style shooter and going to see what I can do with the factory remington for now anyway.
You should have a pretty good education by the time you wear your barrel out, have the action blueprinted and another barrel screwed on. By then, you will have learned enough about wind and handloading to take advantage of the new extra accuracy. ANYBODY can pull a trigger. You will have a ball. Good Luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.