New barrel for 300 RUM

Gone Ballistic

I am going to re-barrel my custom 300 RUM I originally had built to shoot two miles. Essentially, because I am going to also put a different stock on it and blueprint the action and barrel, I am rebuilding the rifle. The two questions I have regard barrel length and twist. My current barrel is 30-inches with a 1-9"twist. I am thinking of replacing it with a 1-8" or 1-7.75", if I can find one, as the BC's still seem to be climbing as more manufacturers come up with heavier bullets. My current barrel still has life left in it and my original thought was to shorten and re-crown it but, cost wise I think I would be better off to replace it. I love the extra speed the long barrel length produces but I don't like carrying a 63" rifle (14 3/8 LOP) so I am thinking 24-26" for length and 13 1/2" LOP should work which should drop 4-6 lbs. from its present weight and still shoot sub MOA. I am looking for any ideas and advice, including recommends, from all of you that may have had the similar experiences I am facing.

Some good barrels out there these days. I would have it cut 1-7.5, or 8. Bartlein has cut for me to 1-6". Their new barrel material for longer life is interesting. Downside 6-10 month wait.

Good Luck!
Thanks, I might go ahead and pre-order one as it sounds like a terrific material. I will probably go with the 1- 7.5" as I think it will handle anything that comes out in. 308 in my lifetime but, I've been surprised before. What caliber are you using the 1-6" for?

......What caliber are you using the 1-6" for?.......

Short version 6.5 Ultracat. A 6.5 RUM Improved basically.

New material for longer life could be a good thing.......
Good Luck!

I am going to re-barrel my custom 300 RUM I originally had built to shoot two miles. Essentially, because I am going to also put a different stock on it and blueprint the action and barrel, I am rebuilding the rifle. The two questions I have regard barrel length and twist. My current barrel is 30-inches with a 1-9"twist. I am thinking of replacing it with a 1-8" or 1-7.75", if I can find one, as the BC's still seem to be climbing as more manufacturers come up with heavier bullets. My current barrel still has life left in it and my original thought was to shorten and re-crown it but, cost wise I think I would be better off to replace it. I love the extra speed the long barrel length produces but I don't like carrying a 63" rifle (14 3/8 LOP) so I am thinking 24-26" for length and 13 1/2" LOP should work which should drop 4-6 lbs. from its present weight and still shoot sub MOA. I am looking for any ideas and advice, including recommends, from all of you that may have had the similar experiences I am facing.
As far as barrel length is concerned, I have a 26" 300 Norma. While recoil is not an issue with the Christensen Slayer brake on it, it gives me a mild headache after one shot. 3 shots & I have a significant head ache. My 28" 7mm stw doesn't affect me this way. So I'm not sure if it's something to do with my particular configuration on the 300 NM or if I simply need to go to a longer barrel or non rear angled discharge muzzle brake. I've got a 31" blank that I'm thinking about swapping to.

choose the bullets you want to shoot , that will tell you the twist you need . we shoot cutting 240 lazers out of 30 xc 30 inch 6 twist the 245 eol bergers disintegrate with a 6 twist will shoot in a 7 twist

choose the bullets you want to shoot , that will tell you the twist you need . we shoot cutting 240 lazers out of 30 xc 30 inch 6 twist the 245 eol bergers disintegrate with a 6 twist will shoot in a 7 twist
Disintegration of the bullet is my biggest concern as I am aware of what too much twist can cause a negative effect on certain weight bullets and bullets that have a thin jacket. I'm pretty sure I will go with a 1-7.5" twist rate but am trying to find information about how lower BC bullets look a 180gn-190gn Berger or Accubond with the faster twist rate.

the new barnes 212 lrx high bc bullet shoot fast and true they are a borerider style and have a short bearing surface will work great in a 300 rum

If fast twist and very high velocity is what you want to do mono's may be where you want to be.
Thanks, I am still wanting to keep the ability to make a long range hunting shot out to 1400 yards, if conditions are perfect but, because I have downsized my rifle and shotgun arsenals substantially, I still want to be able to stabilize the lighter bullets. I think monolithic bullets would work without any problems in a 25" 1-7.75" twist barrel. With my suppressor on my 30" barrel my POI didn't have much deviation but I needed a side discharge break to keep the barrel from jumping down. I was amazed when I filmed a slow motion video with my Hero 4 and saw how much the barrel moved with an axial break. It is amazing to me to see how fixing a problem can create a bigger one.
Thanks again for your input!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.