What barrel manufacture for semi custom build?

I just went through the same thing. I called all big guys and small and went with Preferred Barrel Blanks. The owner really took the time to walk me through the whole processes. He ask me questions I didn't even know to ask. He really made me feel appropriate and that he really wanted my business. I can not say enough good things about him. And the barrel it self has been amazing. Anyone looking for a barrel, I guarantee they deserve a look.

I like Bartlain barrels, but there are several good companies to choose from. Red Hawk Rifles in CO have Bartlain barrels in stock, so no wait time. Several years ago I had Haser from Bison Barrels in Gillette, WY build me a 25-06 barrel. One man shop, so slow turn around, but it shoots great. If the barrel on my old .270 ever wears out, it will get a new barrel and 270 AI chamber. Let us know how your project turns out.

I'm having my old Rem 700 270win sent in for a make over. The action will be trued and a new barrel will be fitted. I'm about 90% confident that I'm going with a 270ai, 1-8 twist, 26" , light Palma (or similar) contour. This will be a hunting rifle.

I've got a semi custom rem 700 SA in 223 with a 1-7 Bartlein. It is a blast (pun intended)

Loyalty runs in my bones, so originally I was going with a Bartlein, but I decided to consult the Oracle. What do you guys think?

Price, availability, lead time, and performance are all factors. Performance is king though.
What are you hunting with this gun? You are looking at putting a 5# barrel on the action. If you aren't using a suppressor then you may want to go with a Sporter contour to be able to cut weight. There have been a lot of great barrel manufacturers listed as for carbon fiber barrel and proof research to the list for steel barrel if you can find one and Broughton barrels, Alex Wheeler had 2 in his shop but I don't know if he still has them. Check with whoever is trueing your action they may have some in stock. You can also check with Southern Precision rifles (bugholes.com) usually has a great selection of barrels

Last edited:
I've heard some poor reviews on McGowen occasionally, with my first custom build they did fantastic on a 358 Norma Mag, they will certainly get my consideration on my next build.

I'm having my old Rem 700 270win sent in for a make over. The action will be trued and a new barrel will be fitted. I'm about 90% confident that I'm going with a 270ai, 1-8 twist, 26" , light Palma (or similar) contour. This will be a hunting rifle.

I've got a semi custom rem 700 SA in 223 with a 1-7 Bartlein. It is a blast (pun intended)

Loyalty runs in my bones, so originally I was going with a Bartlein, but I decided to consult the Oracle. What do you guys think?

Price, availability, lead time, and performance are all factors. Performance is king though.
Its been awhile now, but there was a time i had a hankering for a hot rod 6.5.
At that time the 6.5x 300 short mag was being raved about.
The smith i was going to use was a Pac Nor guy, and that was a long wait.
So i made some phone calls, and found pretty much the same reply.
Untill i called Brux, and the guy there said they had a few barrels in stock that filled my description except for length and diameter.
But they could fix that and have it in the mail in about a week.
So i gave him my information right there.
It was probably the most accurate barrel i ever had.
I said had because although the cartridge was a hot rod, it wasent as good of one as others i had.
So the gun found a friendlier home.
But making phone calls can be a solution at times.

I like Bartlain barrels, but there are several good companies to choose from. Red Hawk Rifles in CO have Bartlain barrels in stock, so no wait time. Several years ago I had Haser from Bison Barrels in Gillette, WY build me a 25-06 barrel. One man shop, so slow turn around, but it shoots great. If the barrel on my old .270 ever wears out, it will get a new barrel and 270 AI chamber. Let us know how your project tur

It is BUGholes.com. www.bugholes.com .
Be careful what websites you suggest! 🤣
Thanks I've corrected it I don't know why my phone continues to do this. Maybe Beavis or Butthead owned my phone beforehand and it just autocorrects to their terminology.

Recent Posts