Semi custom build what barrel/caliber

midwesthunter

For starters, I will be using this rifle for hunting mainly. I plan on using a savage action. I am wanting to use either a 7mm RUM or 300 RUM. I want to use it for all big game. I was wondering what barrel length and o.d. was thinking 28-30 inches in a 1" diamiter. Also so many great barrel companies out there, what one should I choose? Also what twist rate? Thanks in advance.

Quit a few guys here have been veary please with there pac nor pre fit barrles on there savage rifles.

In my opnion 1" is a lot of barrel to be used in a hunting rifle but its just my opnion. Both my hunting rifle have diamiters justs under .800.

If it where me I would go with the 300 RUM 1-10 twist 28" with a brake but I am a 30cal whore so my opnion is kind of bias.

Quit a few guys here have been veary please with there pac nor pre fit barrles on there savage rifles.

In my opnion 1" is a lot of barrel to be used in a hunting rifle but its just my opnion. Both my hunting rifle have diamiters justs under .800.

If it where me I would go with the 300 RUM 1-10 twist 28" with a brake but I am a 30cal whore so my opnion is kind of bias.

I'm one of those guys that is super happy with his Pac-Nor on his Savage.

+1 on everything else ICANHITHIMMAN said as well.

I have a 28" 338Edge from Pac-Nor with a 'Savage Varmint' contour. It finished at .777" muzzle diameter.

AJ

Last edited:
I am going with a similar option. If your going ith a 300rum checkout some of the one that are for sale through the memeber there are some great guns out there that are custom shooting with great accuracy. I have seen prices between $800 to $1100. If your going with a 7mm i went and bought a brand new savage with all the features if it doest shoot to my like i will either cryocrypt the barrel or change it. Thats my 2 centsgun)

For starters, I will be using this rifle for hunting mainly. I plan on using a savage action. I am wanting to use either a 7mm RUM or 300 RUM. I want to use it for all big game. I was wondering what barrel length and o.d. was thinking 28-30 inches in a 1" diamiter. Also so many great barrel companies out there, what one should I choose? Also what twist rate? Thanks in advance.

I like and have both the 7mm and the 300 RUM and for all round use I would go with the
300 because of the range of bullet weights.

As to barrel dia, and maker I would have to go with ''My" Favorite barrel for a hunting rifle=
A # 6 contour Lilja ss 1 in 10 twist 26 or 27" (A standard 28" blank will finish at 27 3/8'').

This barrel is close to a Sendero contour.

The barrel will weigh 4.46 pounds and be 1.250" at the breach and .750 at the muzzle.

There are many good barrel makers out there and Lilja is one of the best in my opinion and
he delivers on time. (Normally 6 to 8 weeks)

Just my 2 cents
J E CUSTOM

If those are the only two calibers you are interested in, I would go with the 300 RUM. My personal favorite barrels are Krieger and Bartlein. For that caliber, I'd run the 200 grain class bullets in a 10 twist, 26-28 inch barrel. I don't see any need to go longer than that. I'd also stay away from a straight 1 in contour, and get something like a Bartlein #5 or 6 contour. I 'd probably also have it fluted to keep the rigity but reduce weight. Stick it all in a McMillan stock and be happy.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.