What are these

Tnwhip

I know what they are but I can't find anything about them. They are Hornandy 243 bullets marked on the box as SINGLE SHOT PISTOL BULLETS Hornady # 2435 They are 80g . I guess they don't make them anymore. Not on their web site. They are not in my book and I couldn't find anything on the internet.

Tn- no doubt designed to be fired at the velocities of a TC contender or the like. hornady can tell you specifically. ron

I know what they are but I can't find anything about them. They are Hornandy 243 bullets marked on the box as SINGLE SHOT PISTOL BULLETS Hornady # 2435 They are 80g . I guess they don't make them anymore. Not on their web site. They are not in my book and I couldn't find anything on the internet.

The Hornady 80gr SSP item # 2435 is indeed discontinued as shown in my Hornady 9th edition reloading handbook on page 218 for .243 Win rifle, page 241 for .243 WSSM rifle, and page 698 for .243 Win ENCORE (as noted by roninflag).

They are Interlock Soft Point bullets initially/primarily designed for pistols like the ENCORE, thus the designation Single Shot Pistol (SSP).

These bullets were designed to be used as a bullet for deer size game and lighter to be used in the muzzle velocity range 2700 fps or so. They are basically the 80 gr varmint bullet with the interlock ring added. Sierra also made a line of SSP bullets which from my experience with them on deer are not much different than their varmint bullets. I have a wildcat caliber 6mm-225 Winchester 14" barrel for a T/C Contender that will send the 80 gr bullets on their way at 2800 fps. I killed a dozen or so deer with the Sierra 80 gr SSP bullet between 40 and 120 yards and never did have one exit. The first two or three were placed tight behind the front shoulder and the deer ran off 50 to 100 yards and left little to no blood trail. The bullet did break up and do a number on the heart and lungs though. I started taking only neck shots or placing the bullet between the shoulders where the neck meets the body when a deer was facing me and would put it's head down. These were BANG FLOP shots. I have since relegated this caliber/barrel to varmints because I got a 14" barrel in 30-30AI that will send a 125 gr Nosler ballistic tip on it's way at 2670 fps and it just SMOKES deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.