Anyone know what these are?

muskrat7387

IMG_20160423_110447295.jpg

They mic out at .359 and way 139gr and feel like they are solid copper. Just curious if anyone knows what they might before.

I would bet they are for a gun of some sort! Sorry I couldn't resist. Try cutting one in half that will tell you what they are made of. How long are they?

R U sure they mike out at .359? They could be .357 mag pistol bullets. Triple cannelure looks like someone made them from a mold.

If it wasn't for the weight I would say that they are for a 35 cal. BPCR, most likely a 35-40 Maynard, which is a 38-55 case sized down to 35 cal. If cast from most any lead alloy it should 200gr. +
Could be shot out of a pistol cartridge such as a .357 maximum in a TC Contender.
Not likely to be for a smokeless rifle, 35 Whelen, 35 Rem. due to the lack of a gas check.
Interesting

Cliff

I haven't had a chance to cut one i n half yet. But they definitely are light and look as they have been poured in a mold. The gentleman that brought them to me wanted me to load them in a 357 mag case to shoot out of his 357 maximum. I just figured it wouldn't be a good idea. Any thoughts on loading them for it.his pistol is a ruger black hawk..thanks for your help

Are they jacketed or just copper plated? I'm guessing the latter.
They may be for the old .38 S&W round, some of which ran a little big on bore size and took a .359 or .360 or sometimes even larger bullet and often was loaded with a 140-150 gr. cast lead bullet.

If you had a .35 cal. rifle that slugged out at .358, they'd make nice plinking/small game rounds. I shoot a 158 gr cast lead bullet over a charge of Unique out of my .35 rem. It makes a nice, cheap, light recoiling plinking round for the old lever action.

Back in the day some casters used a zinc alloy similar to Zamak to cast bullets. They were lighter by about 30% than lead and harder. As I recall the author shot the same bullet into a log three times recovering it with a knife and loading it again.
If they are quite hard that is probably what they are made of. Just dropping them into a solution of copper sulfate will copper plate the zinc.
Where did they come from originally?

KB

The length of the bullet nose makes me think they have been cast out of some material other than a lead based metal. My Lyman 357 Keith style mould bullets weighs around 150 gr. as cast out of wheel weight metal, The Keith design is a pistol mould with a short flat nose. These bullets may be to long to stabilize and give good accuracy in a pistol twist barrel. If they are crimped in the grove area like a pistol bullet will they fit the cylinder of a Black Hawk.? I wonder if someone cast them out of a light metal trying to get higher velocity out of a 35 Rem. or 35 Whelen.
Good Luck and Be Careful in this project.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts