What am I missing, besides the coyote?

lonegunman762x51

I've managed to get out and hunt for coyotes in the eastern Washington area a few times lately and have not had a bit of luck. I've hiked in, set up a hide, had the wind on my side and a good view of the terrain and managed to turn up not one single dog.

There is no shortage of coyotes in the fields around my home, they spend their nights teasing the neighborhood dogs and eating the cats. The problem is that this is a "no shooting" area of the county with a lot of homes on small acreage lots like mine.

There is a lot of BLM and state land west of me and it has a lot of road hunting pressure on the weekends. I almost never see anyone hiking into the roadless areas or hear anyone calling. Some of the roadless areas are several thousand acres. There is plenty of sign in the area but every coyote I've seen on the last three trips has been within 200 yds of a highway or home.

What am I missing?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.