what am I missing----

Catbrain

i got a new caller --- an Iotec 350+. seems to work nicely.
I have 3 different coyote packs within 500 yards of me. One is only about 200 yards away. I hear them all singing several times a week after dark. I usually
don't hear them until 9 or 10 pm lately. I have been trying to call them in about the last hour of daylight. So far I have gotten absolutely no reaction.... I can get all the neighborhood dogs howling but co coyote showing himself. Tried
coyote calls, rabbit yells and deer bleating. Do I need to put out some kind of stinky bait material ?

There are lots of them around-- but I cant seem to draw them out-----

Tim

You know how far they are from you and what direction they are as well; they appear to be educated to calling, are you using a lower volume as if the closer ones are only 200 yards away from you and the far ones are 500 yards they don't need much volume to hear your call. Most likely if they are educated to calling you will end up shooting them by stalking them and sniping them, if you can't trap or snare them.

One day I walked one of the fields they are in. There were several abandoned hay machines in the field. It hasnt been mowed in about 15 years it looks like . briars up to your head-- and lots of them. As I walked up to one of the old mowing machines-- a coyote ran out from underneath-- ran about 10 feet and did a swan dive down into the 2 foot very thick grass. I think he remained frozen after that. But the briers were so heavy I couldn't go any farther.....

Thats about 5 acres like that with a creek on the far side.
They keep attacking one of my cats---- i'm ****ed and hunting for scalps------

Adjacent to that briar field where one of the packs lives ( I think) ---- there is a cross fence and cross that fence is about 30 acres of pasture that the cattle keep very short.
I have been trying to draw them out into that slick pasture area-- but so far -- nothing-----

Am I going to have to get a thermal scope ? :cool:

PS-- as far as I know -- these have never been hunted
by anyone. so it would Suprise me if they have become educated..... I have tried high volume as well as low vollume..... same negative result-----

i got a new caller --- an Iotec 350+. seems to work nicely.
I have 3 different coyote packs within 500 yards of me. One is only about 200 yards away. I hear them all singing several times a week after dark. I usually
don't hear them until 9 or 10 pm lately. I have been trying to call them in about the last hour of daylight. So far I have gotten absolutely no reaction.... I can get all the neighborhood dogs howling but co coyote showing himself. Tried
coyote calls, rabbit yells and deer bleating. Do I need to put out some kind of stinky bait material ?

There are lots of them around-- but I cant seem to draw them out-----

Tim
You are probably misjudging the distance. I have 200 yds from my front porch to my Goat field. Then behind my house we have several groups calling (North) and then to the East we have several other groups. Sounds like they are right around the corner but really a MILE or Two+ AWAY.
Their sounds when packing up at dusk will travel really far. DSheetz you can chime in on how far the groups howling really are in distance.
I doubt that you have several Packs living within 500 yards of each other. Thats like the distance from my back deck to our food plots and 100 yd shooting range.
When you hear then sounding off at night try to mark their position with a compass of where you hear them. then during the day take a walk in those directions to see the terrain of the area. If you have a GPS like a Garmin Etrex with a TOPO you can plot out your walk. You can also just use you Smart Phone and Google maps. (Garmin with a TOPO is much better IMO).
You can check your whole area out and have a better understanding of where to possibly make a Set to call and possible produce some Yotes!
You can also use Google Maps & Weather to give you forecast and wind speed/direction. The Tools available in todays time can help you be a successful Yote Hunter.
Good luck Yep Yep Yep

With the amount of humidity in the air in your area their voices will travel a long distance and sound like they are right next to you. Here in my area that varies every day as some days we are as low as in the teens in humidity and other days quite high. Not having a lot of trees and pretty open I have been able to see coyotes when they are talking, and it is amazing as to the distances their voices travel. This is the time of year here that they really won't be talking much if they have young pups, but they will be patrolling their areas and keeping unwanted coyotes out of them. Here if you aren't in their areas, they normally just come to the boundary lines of their areas at this time, and just watch to protect against intruders, so then if you are trying to get them to leave their areas and enter into another area at this time it will be difficult at best to do that. For me when that happens, I find it works for me to go to them and get inside their territories to call them and to use a low volume if I'm using other than my hand-held howler, and even with it I will muffle the sound.

Last edited:
Last Friday I hunted a Lambing camp that has piles of coyotes, but have never been able to get one killed. It's thick sagebrush and they are call shy. I got up in where I thought they would be and very quietly started squeaking on a plastic call, then did very low volume rabbit distress on a hand call. I finished off with pup distress from a hand call and had a male come in hot 45 degrees down wind and was moving quickly to my direct down wind. I was able to get him before he got there.

I guess what I'm saying is, if your in a tight, thick spot watch your down wind and be ready to go! Low volume ,long pauses and be patient. I've bumped quite a few while hiking, and if I move a few hundred yards and wait then start calling I feel like I get them to come back often. If they don't sprint for the next county your still in the game!

And like said before, spot and stock is a lot of fun and frustrating! But it's hunting, sometimes you win and sometimes they do.

You'll get em!

If I order some briar pants and some snake gaiters-- and take the benellim2 with 00 flite control---- that might get one if I happen scare one up out of the grass. O think you would have to be quicker than when flushing quail---

some one suggested putting out a rabbit in a box cage as bait--- anyone tried that ?

If they are attacking one of your cats, do you have a cat in distress call on your caller? Go pattern that shotgun with the flight control wad and the buckshot. It might be a way tighter pattern than you expect. Pattern the shotgun at the distance you expect to shoot them. If you don't know, pattern it at 20 yds and again at 45 yds.

If you can see out into your field a ways, try this. Put 4 bales of hay in a + pattern with the corners of the hay bales barely touching. Throw birdseed/corn on the ground in the hole between the hay bales. Toss some hay over the seed so the birds can't see the seeds. Mice will find the seed and coyotes will sit on top of the hay bale waiting for a mouse. You can shoot them off the hay bale from a distance.

If none of that works, you should contact a local canine trapper. Look for a local trapping association in your area and talk to them. Here in Indiana we can trap/shoot coyotes on our own property or property that we have permission on 24/7/365.

@Catbrain, while 00 Buck sounds like the ticket, #4 Buck or even BB's are better for Coyotes in the brush. I've killed with nickel plated #5's at 35 yards while pheasant hunting.
Currently my go-to load is 3" #4's for brush calling.
They aren't hard to kill, you just have to get enough pellets in them.

Ed

If I order some briar pants and some snake gaiters-- and take the benellim2 with 00 flite control---- that might get one if I happen scare one up out of the grass. O think you would have to be quicker than when flushing quail---

some one suggested putting out a rabbit in a box cage as bait--- anyone tried that ?
Federal with flight control wads are great. I acquired a couple of boxes of Federal #1 buck with their flight control wads. It's my new favorite. 15, .30 caliber pellets makes it great for a lot of things.

I have about 25 lbs of nickel plated "F' size shot---- but I cant seem to find a wad/load that makes a tight group.
(even with a turkey choke.)
I could look for some #4 buck at the store.

Thats a nice idea about the hay bales. Might try that !