Here is what I have...Savage Mod. 11 vt .308

savagekindaguy

Hi all. I am not sure I ever introduced myself. My name is Ron and I am living in Iowa at present. I have a Savage Mod. 11 in .308 and I want to use it for coyotes until I can afford a .223/5.56 of some configuration.

I have loaded many rounds of 150 gr, 180 gr, and now I just received 200 125 gr Speer TNT bullets.

I have been hearing that the heavier bullets may be best because they do not damage the hides. I will keep them as backups. But, is there any one of you who use these Speer TNTs in .308 for yotes?

Tell me a few of your experiences. I haven't started working up loads yet so maybe someone can give me a starting point.

I have many Lake City brass and quite a few once fired. I also have 3-4 different powders to try. Rx15, IMR 4064, IMR 4895, IMR 3031. I cannot remember what others I have but those are what I have used with good success for the heavier bullets. I want to get some Varget soon.

Anyone have experience with the bullets?

Thanks
skg

I have used the TNT's with varget, winchester large primers, and WCC83 brass. I found great accuracy with these bullets at 0-300yds but haven't tried them farther. I have not shot a coyote, but there isn't much left of a groundhog once they're hit. I would say RL15 or IMR8208xbr would be great choices too.
p.s. this is in a savage 112BT

Last edited:
I have used the TNT's with varget, winchester large primers, and WCC83 brass. I found great accuracy with these bullets at 0-300yds but haven't tried them farther. I have not shot a coyote, but there isn't much left of a groundhog once they're hit. I would say RL15 or IMR8208xbr would be great choices too.
p.s. this is in a savage 112BT

Thanks a lot. I do have among others, Reloader 15 and my rifle seems to like it. I found some of the other recommended powders including Varget so I may get some of that also. I am wanting to get a .223 or 5.56 chambered rifle sometime this year so I won't be using this rifle much for coyotes. But right now bullets are cheaper than a new rifle so I will use it until I replace it.

Thanks for the help.
skg

I SHOOT THE 155GR BERGERS W/RL-15 FED 210M PRIMERS FOR ALOT OF GAME FORM VARMINTS TO DEERgun)

check out the new CFE 223 made by hogdon. Shoots very well for my 308, good velocity to boot.

if or when you buy a 223, you can use that powder for both.

just a thought.

Thanks. I will jot this recipe down.

BTW is there a way to delete posts that one needs to change completely, or cannot complete? I tried to post some pics and have no control over posting pictures or deleting the text I posted but no longer want to leave posted?

Oh...also...is there a like button?

1/18/15 Maybe making progress posting pics...fingers crossed.

I could only find one picture of my rifle and one target that I saved of the initial trip to the range to sight in. New rifle, first time out.

Attachments

• Savage 11 vt_1.jpg
    Savage 11 vt_1.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 5_18_14 May Shootout2.jpg
    5_18_14 May Shootout2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
In case anyone wonders, this is a 3" spot that was on the corner of a larger target...but I can't find it or the large target to measure exactly.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.