What age were your kids when they shot there first big game animal.

My oldest daughter shot her first deer at 10 my youngest daughter at 8. Oldest used a 243 youngest a lever action 44 mag by her choice. If i had to do it all over again I now I would have had them use a 6.5 Grendel in an AR. I built one for me and I love deer hunting with it and it just lays them deer down. I built it with a CF barrel and a little 4-12 leupold scope and it shoots little tiny bug hole groups and recoil isnt even enough to move off target your shooting. I dont know what or if you have a minimum caliber for deer where you hunt but I would recommend checking out the Grendel round. I know when my grand kids get old enough to hunt that is what I will recommend for them. Most importantly treasure the times and experience with your kids they grow up way to fast now days and GOOD LUCK...

Good afternoon, I was just wondering how old were your kids when they took there first big game animal. By big game I'm including whitetail deer. My son is 4 and will be 5 next year and I'm hoping if he keeps progressing he will be ready to go next fall so he will be towards the end of being 5 almost 6 by the time deer season rolls around next year. He has been wanting to shoot almost every night lately. We have just been shooting .22's and .17 HMR for now as I'm sure the recoil of any of my bigger rifles will be to much. He has been doing really good the last couple of weeks so I now have high hopes he keeps progressing. I wouldn't take him if I'm not fully confident in his ability to make a good ethical shot and I will keep the ranges close. Just wondering what you guys kids ages were roughly. A great side affect of this, I get to build another rifle even if it is for him. Will be much easier convincing the wife to let me build another one if its for our son lol. Thinking either 6mm CM or .243.. Probably make the rifle fairly heavy, adjustable chassis for him since he is small still, shooting off a tripod was my thinking. Undecided on muzzle brake yet I really don't want to run one but it will help a ton and make those small calibers feel like nothing. Feel free to show off any rifle builds for your kids, would love to see them and hear the build specs!!!
I killed my 1st mule deer when I was 11 the same year I got my hunter safety card, my first bull elk at 12. My Dad wanted to make sure we knew our way in the woods and we're safe on our own. My own sons just never had the desire to hunt guess I did something wrong.

Probably not something you need to rush into. My son would have been in his teens when he got his first pig.
I might have have taken him when he was younger if opportunity presented.
He doesn't have the interest I have.

Maybe 6 is young, I don't know. I'm not against it but it's pending age, maturity and ability. Then it's a case of you are taking them and teaching the how to kill a game animal. Not against that either I shot rabbits as a kid and enjoyed it and took the rabbits for meat.

But is the child ready to take that kill up to you

Good afternoon, I was just wondering how old were your kids when they took there first big game animal. By big game I'm including whitetail deer. My son is 4 and will be 5 next year and I'm hoping if he keeps progressing he will be ready to go next fall so he will be towards the end of being 5 almost 6 by the time deer season rolls around next year. He has been wanting to shoot almost every night lately. We have just been shooting .22's and .17 HMR for now as I'm sure the recoil of any of my bigger rifles will be to much. He has been doing really good the last couple of weeks so I now have high hopes he keeps progressing. I wouldn't take him if I'm not fully confident in his ability to make a good ethical shot and I will keep the ranges close. Just wondering what you guys kids ages were roughly. A great side affect of this, I get to build another rifle even if it is for him. Will be much easier convincing the wife to let me build another one if its for our son lol. Thinking either 6mm CM or .243.. Probably make the rifle fairly heavy, adjustable chassis for him since he is small still, shooting off a tripod was my thinking. Undecided on muzzle brake yet I really don't want to run one but it will help a ton and make those small calibers feel like nothing. Feel free to show off any rifle builds for your kids, would love to see them and hear the build specs!!!
Small still? HE'S FOUR.....geeeeeez...you think? Only you will know when he's ready....I didn't let my crew shot big game till 11....but that was just me.

5years old...almost 6 though. When they are ready, let them at it!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1577162723822.jpg
    FB_IMG_1577162723822.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 20191220_174315.jpg
    20191220_174315.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 33
  • 20191102_180807.jpg
    20191102_180807.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 41
My oldest son was 6 yrs old when he killed his first deer . The younger brother was 5 yrs old . And the coolest part was they each killed their bucks and hour apart while all 3 of us were in the same shooting house together. Someone else mentioned the H&R 223 youth model and I'll second it for sure . I loaded 60 gr partions over w746 and they shot good and killed excellent.

While my two sons were young by somes standards I believe it is 100% dependent upon the maturity level of the child . I carried both my boys many evenings squirrel hunting as soon as they were big enough to walk . They were hunting with daddy. We'd go and every time they'd fall asleep and I'd pack them back to the truck or house. Now they are 18 and 16 but we've adopted 2 younger boys and they like to go also. So a new chapter has been started . I'll take kids hunting every single chance I get. I believe as hunters it's our duty to introduce anyone who wants to try it , but especially children

My oldest daughter has shown no interest in hunting and I knew from a young age she was very sensitive to animals and didn't expect it. She has gone hunting with me no problem, loves the meat, but has no interest in pulling the trigger. But she loves archery so I'm happy to enjoy that with her.

My younger daughter became proficient with a 6X45 with a brake that I set up for her. We went out one youth season when she was 10, she didn't get an opportunity. She has not wanted to go back out yet, blames the distance to the property and getting up early, but I don't expect she will get interest again. Recently decided to try vegetarian at age 11.

I took my son out at age 9 with the 6X45. He made a couple smart pass decisions because he did not have an ideal shot during youth season. Had to shoot the rifle off a tripod which was really limiting where we hunt so before the regular season I built him a 6.5 Grendel pistol that he could manipulate off a rest very well. Took him out opening day, realized he had decided he didn't want to shoot an animal so gave him an out rather than forcing and let him watch. I do expect in a year or two he will want to hunt, just have to let him decide that on his own. He found a really nice winter kill exploring in the woods and wants me to mount it for him.

AZ has a minimum age to legally take big game. 10 years old. Both my girls killed their first big game animal at 10.
My son-in-law never hunted big game before he married my daughter. So I took him hunting for the first time ever at 26 and he killed his first big game animal.
My younger daughter's boyfriend is 19. Never hunted big game. But he is interested in going. He just joined the USAF, so I am building him bonus points for the next 6 years, so when he gets out, we will be going big game hunting for his first time ever. I can't wait. I love taking new hunters out.

The five oldest were all 12 because that was the law but then they changed it to 10 were we live so. Our youngest was 10 for his first whitetail. 10 is just about right. They all were shorting 22 LR by age 4 and .223 by age 6.

Good Morning, Well it took a bit longer since it was quite a few years ago when one couldn't take hunter safety (required to hunt) in Wisconsin until they were 12. My son took it at 13 and first deer hunt was at 14. He was as tall as I was at the time so no need to trim down a rifle. I bought him a left hand Browning A Bolt in .308 topped by a Leupold 3x9x40 and the handloads I had developed over the year using 165 grain Nosler Partitions. We were out on private land on opening day. We both had buck and doe tags, he was to get the first shot. It was around noon when a group of four does came by. Two large and two smaller which we suspected were fawns of the year. They were about 125 yards away crossing an open field. One shot and he had his first deer.

Both my daughter and son killed their first elk at age 10. They each practiced for months shooting 4 days a week with a 22lr and scope. They were not allowed to hunt until their shooting skills were proficient. My son, now 12 has shot deer,elk, pronghorn and bear. I think 10 was a good age for my kids especially since that's the legal age in my state. I know other kids are ready at a younger age. Thank you for getting your kids into the woods!