Animal Tracking

rogueminute

Howdy all.
I am looking to dive into the realm of animal tracking and want to take a course to get a primer. I found that SGI (Solutions Group International) has a hunter tracker course but there is not a lot of information provided and I cannot find reviews or feedback from anyone who has previously taken the course.

Can anyone here recommend instructors or schools that one can attend for such fieldcraft?

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Howdy all.
I am looking to dive into the realm of animal tracking and want to take a course to get a primer. I found that SGI (Solutions Group International) has a hunter tracker course but there is not a lot of information provided and I cannot find reviews or feedback from anyone who has previously taken the course.

Can anyone here recommend instructors or schools that one can attend for such fieldcraft?

I am not being a smart *** when I say this, and maybe your area is different, but find an ol' timer! An ol proven trapper pays extra attention to where and why an animal puts its feet where it does, and no doubt is your best bet. Hunters are out there but rarely looking at the ground, with the exception of tracking wounded game. In my opinion a bleeding animal acts completely different then animals on the sneak or traveling naturally. Both are very important skills! A large part of tracking accurately is knowing very well, the area you are at.
State and federal game wardens and biologists are trained and paid public servants, try picking their brains. Some will help, some will act too busy, and some will be too stupid to help those that pay their salary.
Good luck and keep us all informed of what you find.

Howdy all.

Are you referring to this >>> http://shop.solutionsgroupinternational.com/products/hunter-tracker-course-htc ?

I agree with rooster740, esp. about the "ol' timer" and "local" comment. This reminds me of all the safari hunting videos I've seen, the PH use "local" trackers and I doubt if any one of them have taken any courses. :D

Good bow hunters are also a good source for the tricks of tracking because they normally always have to track there game. Some short distance and some very long depending on the shot.

Most have made many mistakes if they have Bow hunted very long and have learned from them and know what not to do.

The comment about terrain was good because different terrain and conditions change the way you track. To be good at tracking you have to adapt to the conditions and the shot placement. slow and steady is the rule if you don't want to make a mistake that may cost you an animal.

With todays high powered rifles, normally tracking is not necessary. But with Bow hunting Tracking is normal and part of hunting this way.

I thought I knew how to track after many years of rifle hunting (20 plus years) until I started bow hunting. 25 + years of bow hunting and I am still learning.

J E CUSTOM

I am 55 years old & have hunted & trapped all my life. Time in the field is the best teacher. My advice is to buy 4 pair of good hiking boots & start walking. You will learn how to track but most of all you will learn the habits of your quarry, whatever it may be.
Thanks, Kirk

The highest noted trackers that I have heard or read about , were either from arid dessert regions of Africa , or Mexico . I wish you the best of luck in your quest to learn how to track . +1 for finding a mentor .

If you get snow on the ground out of season back track the sign. Bring an ion or other video camera. When you get to an area where the animal is looking over it's back track take notes. This is what it does when not being pressured.
When you get on a track for a hunt you now know what type of areas that animal will look for you. You will notice that when unharried animals will walk there territory in a counter clockwise circle. Once they know they are being tracked will do the same as they get comfortable. Obviously if you know the terrain you may be able to exploit that.

Trappers can provide a wealth of knowledge. Dad was, and still is for that matter, a badass trapper. He broke 100 cats many times when the market was booming decades ago. When I was a kid, I had a coyote break a swivel attached to a #2 Montgomery. Dad caught up to him nearly 2.0 miles cross country. Still got the pelt, as well as the Monty. I've learned a ton from him, particularly about foot placement and habitual animal behavior.

Another good way to learn would be to follow tracks in snow. You can sure learn a lot while freezing your tail off.

When I got old enough to drive, I spent a lot of time with some native boys in NM. I learned volumes about tracking and behavior from them. I still joke that one of them, a year or two senior to me, could tell you how much your bullet weighed by how a bear left a blood trail. He's gifted no doubt. We're still friends, and 2 seasons ago he tracked a big cinnamon my mother had shot a bit far back over 1000 yards in Amber colored pine needles.... In the dark. Darnedest thing I had ever seen. "Big Red" overlooks the entry way to their home now, thanks to heritage and preservation of a near forgotten way of life.

No doubt... The skills you wish to learn are a dying art, and worthwhile.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.