Pre-shot checklist - what is in yours?

tlk

Need some help with my in-field pre-shot checklist. What is in yours? Not just "range it, wind it, dump it", but the things you do before the shot.

Went shooting yesterday at 700 and had my hind end handed to me by the wind, and I suspect other things, so I wanted to refine/double check my checklist. One of the things I forgot was to adjust the parallax off of 100 yards - duh.

For those of you that have acquired the ability to make a one shot hit at 600, 1000 and beyond, my hats off to you.

Thanks for the help.

On thing that you can never be too sure of is safety. I always try to make sure I double check target background. I live in the crowded east coast though so some of you midwest hunters might not have this problem.

The only thing on my check list is:

1) Return the turret to Zero after shooting at that target or at that range.

The list is taped to the scope.

AND I still mess it up!

All other items are pretty natural.

I do most if not all of my shooting/hunting from a hide, thus have glassed the area pretty thoroughly for other hunters, horses, cows or whatever.....

I kinda get laid out with the rifle adjust my scope for power and parallax and position. Then I sit and watch the wind and try to see what it is doing while getting ranges and punch eniro data into program. I then really watch the wind and listen to it while watching my Kestrel and get settled on a speed and condition I'm going to take the shot in and dial it into program, then I get on the gun and and dial the elevation and wind in and take dry fire shot, run a live one in and breath at a slow steady pace while waiting for the wind then when I have the wind at the bottom of the next breath I let it go, follow through and watch for the hit then cycle the bolt never breaking position then I turn my turrets back to zero. If I'm of I figure out what happened and if I know what happened I redo everything and take one more shot to confirm what happened, then I pack it all up and try again another day. Two shot max is what I take when working on cold bore shots if I miss and one if I hit, kinda incentive to learn the wind :D Take your time and learn the wind it's gonna kick you butt all over the place but once you start getting it nailed it is a good feeling, this is my first year consistently hitting cold bore at the range out to 1000+yrds, on game it has been a little shaky with getting a good range, wind has been dead on:D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.