What age were your kids when they shot there first big game animal.

My daughter was 14 her first turkey was 12 that is the legal age in CT. I think every kid is different but they should be old enough to appreciate it and I do think that there issome benefit in waiting and the anticipation of being "old enough"

Attachments

• IMG_2436.JPG
    IMG_2436.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
I have a daughter and son. My son has no interest, but my daughter loves to hunt. In Idaho, kids can start at age 10 for big game. She is now 12, and has taken multiple animals including: mule deer, coues deer, whitetail deer, bear, cougar, and turkey. Her cow elk tag was the only tag we weren't able to fill, not sure how she missed 4 shots at a big elk but shot a cougar at 160 yards as it paused for just a second. This year she has a bull elk tag in AZ, and she was drawn for a once in a lifetime Bighorn Sheep tag! She started with a .243 but now shoots a 6.5 creed with a muzzle brake. She is probably a better shot than most my friends, me included.

2016-05-28 13.07.11.jpg

28125.jpeg

20181026_102804.jpg
20190417_202514.jpg

Resized_20191013_121757.jpeg

20201011_111641.jpg

20201126_122108.jpg

Attachments

• 2020-06-28 09.45.17.jpg
    2020-06-28 09.45.17.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I think knowing when the kid is ready is more important than the actual age, mine were 7-9, 3 boys and one girl. I had to know that they were fully capable of taking an animal ethically before they got to pull the trigger, for me punching paper didn't qualify either.

I'd think about a 7-08, dumb down some loads that they can shoot when they're young and it'll be something they can shoot the rest of their life. Good luck to the young ones.

That's just a level of awesomeness not seen much these days! Tell him congratulations and good hunting this year.
I knew my kid was ready at 8 years old because all he would talk about is wanting to get an elk so he could put meat on the table for his family. He was adamant about it. Even when we were looking for an elk to shoot, I still remember him saying,"I sure hope I get one dad so I can put meat on the table for our family." I kind of laughed because we weren't going to starve but still it was a good feeling that he thought like that.

Man I didn't realize so many places didn't have age restrictions, here in PA back in 2004 I couldn't hunt until I turned 12 so that was the year I shot my first deer. They started a mentor program in 2007 so my brother got to go hunting a year earlier than me and was 11 when he got his first deer using the same .243 that I used.

My daughter, who is now 20 has never had desire to hunt. My son, now 15 shot his first deer at age 9 and his second at age 12. He no longer has any ambitions to hunt. It saddens me some but I feel if I pressure it too much he will turn it away out of spite. I don't want that. Plus my son is very active in sports at school and that doesn't really leave much time for hunting.😔

I don't know how gifted your son is in sports, but the majority never play after HS. Even less make it past college level. He might come back to hunting after the sports is over.

Mine is still too young but I shot my first whitetail just shy of my 8th birthday. I remember it vividly. My dad ans hunting buddies made it a great experience and it set the foundation for my hobby, maybe life lol.
I will say, I remember having mixed emotions about taking a life. I don't think this was a bad reaction and it should be the case. It was a big deal and I remember dad making sure I new this was the case and to thank the animal and the Lord for the harvest.

I think it depends on the maturity of the child. I will wait until my child can comprehend the the value and magnitude of taking a life and why we do it as hunters.

Good afternoon, I was just wondering how old were your kids when they took there first big game animal. By big game I'm including whitetail deer. My son is 4 and will be 5 next year and I'm hoping if he keeps progressing he will be ready to go next fall so he will be towards the end of being 5 almost 6 by the time deer season rolls around next year. He has been wanting to shoot almost every night lately. We have just been shooting .22's and .17 HMR for now as I'm sure the recoil of any of my bigger rifles will be to much. He has been doing really good the last couple of weeks so I now have high hopes he keeps progressing. I wouldn't take him if I'm not fully confident in his ability to make a good ethical shot and I will keep the ranges close. Just wondering what you guys kids ages were roughly. A great side affect of this, I get to build another rifle even if it is for him. Will be much easier convincing the wife to let me build another one if its for our son lol. Thinking either 6mm CM or .243.. Probably make the rifle fairly heavy, adjustable chassis for him since he is small still, shooting off a tripod was my thinking. Undecided on muzzle brake yet I really don't want to run one but it will help a ton and make those small calibers feel like nothing. Feel free to show off any rifle builds for your kids, would love to see them and hear the build specs!!!
Where I live 12 is the legal age to hunt big game . But my kids were hunting rabbits and squirrels from the time they big enough to carry a 22. They were more than ready when the time came . They started with 243 and then 270 but the 243 killed more mule deer and cow elk than I can remember. But it's the first few hunts that my kids talk about . And there in there late 20's and early 30's now . So keep up the good work . And remember always have fun with your kids . It's worth it !!

Good afternoon, I was just wondering how old were your kids when they took there first big game animal. By big game I'm including whitetail deer. My son is 4 and will be 5 next year and I'm hoping if he keeps progressing he will be ready to go next fall so he will be towards the end of being 5 almost 6 by the time deer season rolls around next year. He has been wanting to shoot almost every night lately. We have just been shooting .22's and .17 HMR for now as I'm sure the recoil of any of my bigger rifles will be to much. He has been doing really good the last couple of weeks so I now have high hopes he keeps progressing. I wouldn't take him if I'm not fully confident in his ability to make a good ethical shot and I will keep the ranges close. Just wondering what you guys kids ages were roughly. A great side affect of this, I get to build another rifle even if it is for him. Will be much easier convincing the wife to let me build another one if its for our son lol. Thinking either 6mm CM or .243.. Probably make the rifle fairly heavy, adjustable chassis for him since he is small still, shooting off a tripod was my thinking. Undecided on muzzle brake yet I really don't want to run one but it will help a ton and make those small calibers feel like nothing. Feel free to show off any rifle builds for your kids, would love to see them and hear the build specs!!!
Happiest 6 year old ever then 7 last fall!!!

Attachments

• 0CEB9D6F-786D-42B4-B438-223EF7B27B59.jpeg
    0CEB9D6F-786D-42B4-B438-223EF7B27B59.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
  • D4BCA926-23D6-4458-9097-F30956D81512.jpeg
    D4BCA926-23D6-4458-9097-F30956D81512.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 20
  • 1B4A20C5-C461-44BB-8C67-F5FA1DE9BEE1.jpeg
    1B4A20C5-C461-44BB-8C67-F5FA1DE9BEE1.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • B94D9C18-3EEB-4F58-918A-852F68811276.jpeg
    B94D9C18-3EEB-4F58-918A-852F68811276.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 8E9FF8F3-8944-4364-A463-C91AD43EA2A5.png
    8E9FF8F3-8944-4364-A463-C91AD43EA2A5.png
    431.1 KB · Views: 20
I started hunting big game in South Dakota and had to be 12 and complete a hunter safety course! I now live in Wyoming and they have the same rule. They do have a provision where you can mentor a younger child but I'm not sure how this works. My daughter was 12 when she shot her first big game and my granddaughter the same my grandson will be 12 just before big game rifle season and has applied for an antelope tag. I've watched some of these TV shows where these real young kids shoot a deer and you can tell they are to young to be doing so! They just don't understand the significance of what they have done! I myself guess it's up to the parent if they feel their child is ready! I can see where a father or mother is wanting to get their child into hunting with them but need to realize if their child is mature enough to take a big game life!

great points guys!!! Plinker i would love to let him use a .223 first but its not allowed for deer in indiana.. I may still get him a .223 first for a couple years or however long till he can hunt deer. I did think about doing something in a AR platform as they are very easy to get a short length of pull on for smaller shooters..
If it is legal in your state maybe a 300 blackout. My two girls are very small and smoke hogs with the 110 grain VMax on a regular basis.