What action/gun to use for a 28 Nosler long range hunting build

kai

I'd like to build an accurate, long range 28 Nosler rifle for hunting and I"m seeking suggestions for components and specifications to use.

I plan to have an 8 in 1 twist barrel chambered for Berger 195 grain bullets for maximum range.
I have a lathe and mill and prefer to do some of the work myself.
I'd like to keep the cost under $2,500.

My main decision is what action or gun should I use for the base.
I'd prefer a stainless action because I hunt in rainy areas.

Would a Sako 75 or 85 action in the longer "V" length be adequate to handle the 28 Nosler with the Berger 195 grain bullet?
Or would a custom action or another factory gun serve better as the base?

I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions for components and specifications to use for my 28 Nosler build.

Last edited:
I don't know about the Sako.

An R700 from any RUM as a donor is perfect. Just a new barrel.

My preference has been to use Weatherby Mark Vs, any 300wby is again, perfect. Just a new barrel.

Pretty much anything that was a RUM should work with no modifications.

After reading a review by Broz at Long RangeOnly site, I would not bother building one, I would look at buying the Christianson Arms ridgeline in a 28 Nosler Priced at under $2000

I'd like to build an accurate, long range 28 Nosler rifle for hunting and I"m seeking suggestions for components and specifications to use.

I plan to have an 8 in 1 twist barrel chambered for Berger 195 grain bullets for maximum range.
I have a lathe and mill and prefer to do some of the work myself.
I'd like to keep the cost under $2,500.

My main decision is what action or gun should I use for the base.
I'd prefer a stainless action because I hunt in rainy areas.

Would a Sako 75 or 85 action in the longer "V" length be adequate to handle the 28 Nosler with the Berger 195 grain bullet?
Or would a custom action or another factory gun serve better as the base?

I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions for components and specifications to use for my 28 Nosler build.

I can't speak for the SAKO 75 or 85 but I am very please with my SAKO M995/TRGS-1. 28 Nosler would not be my personal choice but I'd say go for it. There is nothing more satisfying than building your own.

Good luck!

Ed

The reason I'm looking to build a 28 Nosler is to get a fast 8:1 twist barrel to use the Berger 195 grain bullet.
The factory guns all seem to have slower twist rates.
I hunt near sea level in rainy Washington and am looking to maximize accuracy and range for elk hunting. I'd prefer a stainless action.

The reason I'm considering a Sako 75 or 85 is that they have generally high quality actions and can be bought complete for around $1000. I like the safety and bolt release while loaded. I was considering rebarreling one but am looking for comments and other suggestions for getting an accurate rifle with 8:1 twist.

I'm not sure if it would be more cost-effective to use a R700 RUM action and if it would need to be blueprinted. I'm open to using a used action and stock as long as it has good accuracy and is a good fit for my use.

I have a custom 28 nosler. Bullet ends up being around 3.75 inches. A Wyatt's internal box with hinges floor plate works well. You can get a Stiller predator action for less than 1k. Or get a rem700 for 250-300 and a new bolt and true the action yourself. I would buy a bench mark barrel. There close and very nice barrels. I live in western Washington as well. Timney trigger and manners eh1 and you'll be looking pretty nice. I have a break on mine.

I just checked Benchmark barrels and they list their 7mm barrels as having a 9 twist.
All factory 28 Noslers I've researched, including the Christenson Arms use a slower twist around 9 or 9.5.
Berger bullets recommends a twist of 8.3 or faster for their 195 grain bullet that I plan to use.

I'd enjoy the satisfaction of truing an action myself and I have a lathe but I've never trued an action and don't have the specialty tools to true the action the way it see it being done on internet videos.

I've heard that R700 actions should be trued but that other actions including the Sako 75 and 85 don't need to be trued. I'm not sure that this is accurate information so I'm looking for suggestions and comments.

I'm trying to decide if I should just buy a Stiller Predator and build the gun form scratch, or work with a new R700 action or buy a new or used complete gun to rebarrel.

The Remington 700 SPS can be bought in stainless new for around $550 chambered in a RUM, but I don't know if this lower priced 700 would be a good candidate for an accuracy gun and if it can be trued as well other 700 actions.
Also, would I give up much accuracy with the SPS stock vs. a Manners stock.

Gents, thanks for the comments so far... Please keep them coming.

I have a 264 win mag in a sako that I bought for the action. I was planning on a build,but changed my mind....I would sell the whole rifle for 550.00....The stock is in real tough shape...

Custom barrels in 8 twist are available.
Now the big question is if a custom action would be a better choice vs a factory action.
I could buy a R700 long range with a RUM chamber with a Bell & Carlson stock and rebarrel it with or without blueprinting.
How much better would a custom action and a Manners EH-1 stock shoot than the R700 with the B&C stock and a custom barrel?

How much better would a custom action and a Manners EH-1 stock shoot than the R700 with the B&C stock and a custom barrel?

There won't be really any difference in accuracy between a manners EH-1 stock and the B&C stock, the B&C has a full bedding block and the manners will have pillars, you would want to bed both of them.

The two Rem 700 LR stainless rifles I have done load development for shot phenomenal for factory rifles. I live at 6600 ft elevation, one shot 168 Berger VLD's and the other shot 180 VLD's (both 7mm rem mags) and both are honest half MOA guns, I have seen both print half MOA or less groups out to 1300 yards. I see no reason why re-barreling with a quality barrel would do anything but improve this accuracy, without blueprinting. But, if you are going to the work to re-barrel, you might as well true the action.

As far as a custom vs factory Remington, a custom is always going to have tighter tolerances. Your bolt will have a more precise fit, you will have options for different bolt knobs, you won't have to worry about primers cratering due to a sloppy fireing pin hole (sometimes happens in factory actions), and truing won't be necessary. If you were to have a smith fix these things on a factory action, you would have put in enough $$$ to nearly or completely buy a custom action. However, if I had the tools to do the work myself, I would intentionally get a factory Remington action specifically so I could do the work myself, as I personally enjoy doing work on my own rifles.

With a custom action, you know your getting a precisely made piece of machinery. If the barrel is installed properly, and it is a quality barrel, that rifle WILL shoot well. A factory action may or may not shoot well.

Thanks for your detailed reply.
I also like the R700 long range rifles in SS and am considering buying one to rebarrel with a custom barrel.
I would enjoy doing the work myself, but don't have the special tools for blueprinting an action and realize that I could make the action worse.

It's unfortunate that some factory 700s are accurate while others are not.
Since I'm trying to keep my cost under $2,500, I could take.my chances with simply buying and rebarreling a R700 long range, or increase my budget and build a full custom gun.

If I go with the full custom gun option, I'd like to hear suggestions for components to use for a long range hunting gun shooting 28 Nosler cartridges with a COAL of 3.740.

Any recommendations on the action, barrel makeand specs, stock, magazine?

Last edited:
Thanks for your detailed reply.
I also like the R700 long range rifles in SS and am considering buying one to rebarrel with a custom barrel.
I would enjoy doing the work myself, but don't have the special tools for blueprinting an action and realize that I could make the action worse.

It's unfortunate that some factory 700s are accurate while others are not.
Since I'm trying to keep my cost under $2,500, I could take.my chances with simply buying and rebarreling a R700 long range, or increase my budget and build a full custom gun.

If I go with the full custom gun option, I'd like to hear suggestions for components to use for a long range hunting gun shooting 28 Nosler cartridges with a COAL of 3.740.

Any recommendations on the action, barrel makeand specs, stock, magazine?
I know its not what you want, but in one of the 7mm mags we are shooting the 180 Bergers at 3015 fps using reloder 26, and while it's no 195 at 3100, it is not too far behind the 28 nosler. Run ballistics and compare.

You could get a stiller action cut for the Wyatts mag box, a Wyatts 3.8XX" mag box, whatever BDL bottom metal you want, PTG strait taper .250" recoil lug, and custom barrel of your choice, a good stock and you would have a sweet rig.

Lone peak also makes a fine action.
So does Surgeon.
Bat Machine isn't a bad option either.
Defiance is also high quality.

Lots of good options. I recommend calling all of them amd tell them what ya want, they are all decent people and will point you in the right direction.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts