7mmRM 300PRC 28 Nosler

scsbronco

Hey guys,

Looking in a Elk rifle for myself. 300-700 yards is my practical range. Im looking for a factory rifle under 1800$. I was looking at the Bergara HMR in 7mmRM but the twist is only 1:9.5. Im favoring the 7mm RM if I can find it in the right twist. PH2 seems like the ticket. Open to input.

Xbolt hells Canyon LR has an 8 twist barrel, and plenty of mag length to chase the lands.

Might take a look at Christensen Arms' Mesa Long Range. I own one in 7 RM shoots great very nice rifle for the money. And it's chambered in all 3 calibers you listed. Good luck

Rep

I currently own the 28 Nosler and 300 PRC and previously owned the 7RM. All were custom builds and ive recently helped several friends evaluate "factory" options. Below are some of my general thoughts and learnings:

28 Nosler -- You're going to want a minimum twist rate of 1:8.5 to take full advantage of the powder capacity and 180-195 class bullets or solids (cutting edge/hammer). I still think 1:8 is the way to go here.

300 PRC -- I built mine on an 8 twist and i'm really glad i did. I can essentially swap the 215 Berger and 214 hammer with only a half MOA impact difference and a little velocity difference. You can make the 215 berger work w/ a 1:9 twist but it works a lot better if you typically hunt/shoot above 4000 feet of elevation.

7WM -- W/ a 9 twist and shooting 160-170 class bullets, its a fine setup, but wouldn't be my first choice for a dedicated elk gun.

Based on your statement of wanting a factory gun, I'd look at Bergara and CA, but neither do it perfect IMO:
  • Begara -- just a little slow on twist rates accross the board. 9.5 (7RM), 9 (28 Nosler), 9 (300 PRC)
  • CA -- good twist on the 7RM (9), slow on 28 (9). They got it right on the 300 PRC (8 twist), but i personally don't like carbon barrels on anything 30 cal or larger. CA also seems to have more QC issues than Begara.

If i can make a suggestion....take a look at Alamo Precision Rifles website. They build full custom and semi custom guns. The maverick is their entry level @ $2700 bucks. While you cant pick all your rifle components @ this pricepoint, you can pick your twist rate and barrel length, and stock color. Give them a deposit and save a few extra bucks while it takes them a couple of months to put it together. I'd recommend this gun w/ an 8 twist and a 26" barrel in 300 PRC as a dedicated elk gun over anything available from a production rifle.

No connection to any of these:

Could spend a lot more and get less think fierce twist is 1-8.5

The 2 Seekins I have shot were stellar...if they made a left handed element I'd own one:

I am a dedicated 338 fan--but my mountain gun is a 7 SAUM. I shoot 175 EOL and 180 out of it--and it will kill any elk walking. If you reload choose any--if you don't get the 7 RM, next would be the 300 PRC--the 28 would be handloader only...

I just went through this for my first custom build. I looked at all 3 you mentioned plus a helluva lot more. In the end, I decided on the boring old 7RM. Ammo and components (normally) easy to find, plus i already have one meaning i have lots of powders and components for it already. The beauty of going custom though is I can have it built with an 8 twist and have it throated to take advantage of the full magazine length and not be stuck to the spec'd coal. Call Richie at High Tech Custom Rifles in CO Springs. His entry level rifle is i think 1,700 or so; and full on custom for ~3,200. He's a one man shop with no overhead and no advertising costs built in; and been building rifles for decades.

If you are set on factory rifles only, I was looking pretty hard at the CA mesa in 300prc. But I've read a bunch of QC issues with different folks so i'm a little hesitant there. I also love tikkas, but the twists are a bit slow. You said this was an elk gun...Kimber hunter in 280ai at 5-1/4lbs (after you pull the goo out of the stock) is a pretty light and nimble mountain gun... I had one that i really liked, but sold it to help fund my custom build. I have a 7 pound .300wby in a mark v ultra lightweight that would be an elk hammer that I could maybe be talked into parting with ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.