What action and barrel lengths for 280AI and 7PRC

Nuclear Worker

Building a 280AI for my wife and a7PRC for myself. Looking at the 4.0 mag chassis or theMDT Hunt 26 . Thinking Defiance anti x action and CF Bartlein barrels in 20 or 22". These are Elk hunting rifles max shot of 600 yards for me and probably 400 for her. I know I will lose velocity at those barrel lengths but being more user friendly length is more important for us. Any thoughts on our plans?

If I remember right they developed the 7mm prc to be more efficient in shorter barrels than say a 7 mag, 28 nosler, 300 mag etc. With sharp shoulder, shorter but fatter case. 180 class bullets would be goin at least 2800fps even with the 22" barrel, and that would be at least a 800yd setup depending on accuracy....idk if you really gain a whole lot of mobility by goin to a 20" barrel especially in a 280ai unless your using a suppressor, I think goin with a 22" would benefit u more in performance than 20" would in mobility....also why not build 2 7mm prc's unless u have 2 different bolt faces already just curious.

Want less recoil for the wife. We're both 60 years old. She shoots a 3006 now with zero complaints. I could have her shoot my 375 Ruger and she wouldn't complain. Way too much pride. Just try to make it more comfortable for her.

Understandable, couldn't you just load a 7mm prc just a Lil lighter(less powder lighter bullet) then you only have to load devlop for 1 gun essentially just food for thought

Certainly can't go wrong with those the only issue is the price tag, but that action is everything u need it to be and more. For me 6, 7 ounces that u save on a Titanium action isn't worth the price tag, but they sure r sweet!

Recent Posts