What about IMR 4350?

IMR4350 works great for me from 257bob to 338wm. I also use H4350. It is a matter of what the gun prefers. I am shooting on hunts from the 80s in Oct to about 0-10F in early Dec.

Well, i found out my barrel (9.5 twist) won't stabilize the 95 gr target vlds either! I am really disappointed🤣
According to Berger's twist rate app I need hunting 95 gr bullets or smaller. Something diff about the profile I guess. Now I'm shooting some flat base 80 gr I have on hand. REALLY not what I wanted. It's a shame I don't hunt prairie dogs any more. That's about all this Krieger barrel is good for🤬
You could probably go with 95 Hybrid or 87 vld hunting. Been using 87 vld hunt for several years with excellent results. Used in rem and savage 9.125 twist.

Its a very under rated powder these days. Just watch loads worked up in cooler weather in the heat. Not as temp stable as the H version.

I was loading IMR 4350 and IMR 4831 for a very long time. I never went over what manual stated for max load. I started to experimenting in the early 2000. When from late winter into summer using IMR4350. Running 165 gr bullet @ 3400 pfs in a 26 barrel. I was on the edge of being hot loads during the winter time, but summer came on it over pressure signs showed up. So the load didn't work out. Became aware of H4350sc. and started loading it in same rifle and bullet, just powder change. Lost 100 per sec., never had anymore problems with temper change. I gave away about 25 lbs of IMR 4350 & 4831. Never looked back. So be careful on IMR 4350 powder where the weather changes greatly.
SSS

Well, i found out my barrel (9.5 twist) won't stabilize the 95 gr target vlds either! I am really disappointed🤣
According to Berger's twist rate app I need hunting 95 gr bullets or smaller. Something diff about the profile I guess. Now I'm shooting some flat base 80 gr I have on hand. REALLY not what I wanted. It's a shame I don't hunt prairie dogs any more. That's about all this Krieger barrel is good for🤬
My neighbor prefers the 9.5 to 9.25 twist and it does stabilize the 105 Vmax as well as others. If you read up on marginally stabilized bullets closer to 1.6 to 1.4 they become more stable at long range due to loss in velocity and the retaining projectiles RPM. It especially helps when crossing the trans sonic and when the projectile starts its descending leg of the trajectory arc. If its spin is to rigged then it is flying more belly down the flight rather than nose on point. Which leads to a better long range BC and increased stability in transonic flight. Just a thought so dont throw away the Idea of shooting the HIGH BC 95' to 110's.

My neighbor prefers the 9.5 to 9.25 twist and it does stabilize the 105 Vmax as well as others. If you read up on marginally stabilized bullets closer to 1.6 to 1.4 they become more stable at long range due to loss in velocity and the retaining projectiles RPM. It especially helps when crossing the trans sonic and when the projectile starts its descending leg of the trajectory arc. If its spin is to rigged then it is flying more belly down the flight rather than nose on point. Which leads to a better long range BC and increased stability in transonic flight. Just a thought so dont throw away the Idea of shooting the HIGH BC 95' to 110's.
This is why I went with the 1:9 twist for the 110 to 115 gr. Rounds.

So poor .5-.6+ groups at 100 do well at 500+?
I have some 87 gr Hornady's and some 105 AMaxs i used to hunt deer with. When I measure them their ogives vary a bunch. Guess i could sort them, but that's a pain.
Thanks for the info. Got nothing to lose trying it!

I am wondering where I went to twist rates from powder, or did I come in late, Was it more on twist rates? From what I have read on twist rates for a 6mm it would somewhere between 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 on 105 to 115 grain bullets. Because I am looking at having a 6mm built for me shortly.

Sorry, we got distracted.
The original post was about IMR 4350 vs H4350.
I'm shooting IMR 4350 in a 6x47 that just won't shoot to suit me. Want to shoot 105s at 500. 8 twist IS best for this. My rifle only shoots .6 moa at 100 and worse further out. Not acceptable😡

My 300WM loves IMR 4350 and 180 gr Nosler bullets. 3000 FPS range
My old 300 win mag (a weatherby vanguard) got an honest 3400 FPS with 150 grain bullets and imr 4350. Performed exactly in accordance with Noslers published load data, which is remarkable in itself. To the grain, and within 10 FPS of what they said they got.

Okay. Question? Rifle action is it bedded, barrel floated? Trigger pull? I generally use Fed-210 & 210M primers. Generally my barrels have been in the 26" range using slower burning powders. Are you chronograph the loads at the range? You need to see if the velocity is close to the same. Tried different manufactures bullets? COAL to rifle lands. Case prep there is 8 to 10 items that either needs to be done or checked. There are people on this forum that probably help you more than me.
This is what I am looking at: 6mmAI or 6mm/284. Bartlein barrel in their new 400MODBB 30" barrel. Action I haven't come to grips with that just yet. A jewel tiger under 1 1/2 lbs. The stock I will have to build myself.
SSS
Mike

I have a question for you all. I have a 6x47 i would like to develop some loads for with 105gr and 95gr Bergers. The hands down favorite powder for the PRS folks seems to be H4350. I only have IMR 4350 and cannot find H4350 here.
Is there any particular advantage to the Hodgdon variety and are there any quirks I need to look out for using the IMR powder?
Thanks in advance.

I have used IMR-4350 for a long time now and I am starting to leave it alone, only have one can left. Why? Temp sensitivity. I shoot silhouette competition and matches will take a few hours. I sight in my rifle in the morning and as the temps rise so does my POI.

I'll see a POI change of 6" or more at 500m, I know already I have to adjust the scope in advance but don't want to deal with that anymore. I'm shooting a 7mm-08 with 150gr Sierra HPBT Matchkings under 44.5gr of IMR-4350.

Hope this helps and stay safe

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.