What about IMR 4350?

GLTaylor

I have a question for you all. I have a 6x47 i would like to develop some loads for with 105gr and 95gr Bergers. The hands down favorite powder for the PRS folks seems to be H4350. I only have IMR 4350 and cannot find H4350 here.
Is there any particular advantage to the Hodgdon variety and are there any quirks I need to look out for using the IMR powder?
Thanks in advance.

H4350 acts like a slower burning powder in some of my rifles than IMR 4350, and just the opposite in others. They are close enough that seating depth, neck tension, primers etc. may effect your results.

I use IMR 4350 in my 243AI and it shoots great. Just wasn't sure about the smaller case size.
Got some loaded up to check pressure and velocity. 40.5 grs fills up to base of neck. Don't have any data to go by for the 95gr Bergers. Everybody shoots 105s and H4350.
But just found out my barrel is 1:9.5, instead of the 1:8.5 i was expecting. Dang it. Next time I won't wait 10 yrs to shoot a new barrel. Got some 95gr in today. Barrel should stabilize them. Shoots a pattern with the 105s😡

I have a question for you all. I have a 6x47 i would like to develop some loads for with 105gr and 95gr Bergers. The hands down favorite powder for the PRS folks seems to be H4350. I only have IMR 4350 and cannot find H4350 here.
Is there any particular advantage to the Hodgdon variety and are there any quirks I need to look out for using the IMR powder?
Thanks in advance.
Switched to IMR4350 when i could not get H4350 and was surprised that only 1/2 grn more turned out just as good results. ES just about same within 5FPS.

I haven't bought any IMR4350 in years, but used it for a long time with good results, beginning in the mid-'60s. I've since been using H4350. I don't recall ever doing any formal side-by-side velocity or accuracy comparisons using both 4350 versions, but the results with these two have been very similar. The only difference is slight variations in powder charges. Use what you have or can find; I doubt you'll go wrong with either powder. I've gone exclusively to the Hodgdon Extreme powders (H4895, H4350 and H4831) for most rifle cartridges, always buying by the keg.

I forgot about Accurate Arms 4350 - it's a good one, too, and very similar from velocity and accuracy perspectives to the other 4350s, but I don't know how temperature resistant it is.

I forgot about Accurate Arms 4350 - it's a good one, too, and very similar from velocity and accuracy perspectives to the other 4350s, but I don't know how temperature resistant it is.

The temperature sensitivity charts I've seen put accurate 4350 pretty low. It would be my second choice after h4350 in that regard even though I've not tried it yet. For some reason, it just doesn't seem very popular among all the 4350 speed band powders

I have never tried H4350. I have a bone stock .243 win and I love the IMR 4350 at 45.5 grains it has done great at 100 to 700 yards. With 80gr. Nos ballistic tip. We can still hit at 900 but it opens up due to my scope and pushing it close to transconic. I have some rounds loaded 7 or 8 years ago and they still do good.

Well, i found out my barrel (9.5 twist) won't stabilize the 95 gr target vlds either! I am really disappointed🤣
According to Berger's twist rate app I need hunting 95 gr bullets or smaller. Something diff about the profile I guess. Now I'm shooting some flat base 80 gr I have on hand. REALLY not what I wanted. It's a shame I don't hunt prairie dogs any more. That's about all this Krieger barrel is good for🤬

Guess which powder my new 30-06 liked.

Attachments

• DSCF1249 (2).JPG
    DSCF1249 (2).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 131
I have found that I can use IMR and Accurate 4350 interchangeably in my 25-06. I get the same accuracy and when you round everything up the same velocity. I have really never noticed any real huge velocity and thus impact strikes with temperature swings but I normally don't do much shooting when it is below freezing or above mid 80s.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.