What 6.5 creedmoor die sets are you using?

Kingdr1300

I've got a Ruger Precision coming so it's time to get my dies for it. I've mostly used RCBS and Lee for all my hunting rifles and have been happy. I won't be shooting competition but would obviously like to be as accurate as possible out to 1,000ish yards. I may not even use match bullets. Thinking about the Berger VLD hunting bullets which are what I use in my 300WSM just in case I want to pack it up to a view point for deer. Thinking about the Lee 4 die ultimate set. Anybody use those for this caliber? Recommendations? Thanks in advance guys and gals!

I have a "frankendie" set that consists of a Redding Body only, Lee Collet neck sizer, and a Forster micrometer seating die. Works well. Use the same setup on quite a few guns. That being said, I have found my Creedmoor just isn't all that sensitive to "precision" hand loading techniques. Regular old hornady dies work great too. I have pretty much resided myself to the fact I'm capable of about half MOA accuracy in realistic shooting scenarios. I can easily achieve that amount of accuracy with just a basic set of dies with my Creedmoor.

I have been using Lee dies for a number of years for most of my hunting rifles. When I bought my Savage Model 10 Stealth in 6.5 Creedmoor I purchased the Lee die set, which included a Collett die and that is what I have use to load my gun. How has this worked out. I shot the best 3 shot group at three hundred yards that I have shot. A 1/3 inch 3 shot group got my attention.

Attachments

• 20170128_142724.jpg
    20170128_142724.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 127
I have been using Lee dies for a number of years for most of my hunting rifles. When I bought my Savage Model 10 Stealth in 6.5 Creedmoor I purchased the Lee die set, which included a Collett die and that is what I have use to load my gun. How has this worked out. I shot the best 3 shot group at three hundred yards that I have shot. A 1/3 inch 3 shot group got my attention.

Thank you, I was hoping to hear something like this!

I too use a Frankendie set.
Lee collet
Redding body die
Hornady seater.
I purchased the Lee Ultimate die set to get the collet die. But I honestly think you can get good ammo from the set, the only thing that I would check, is if the Lee seater die stem/cup is cut enough to allow for the VLD type bullets to seat without the bullet tip bottoming out on the seater cup. I haven't checked this because I don't use it.

Last edited:
Whidden full length non bushing sizing die with the expander kit for adjusting neck sizing

Wilson in line seater

My brother and I both have Hornady sets for out 6.5 Creeds... I also use Hornady dies with my 405win. I am a fan of Rcbs and Redding dies, but the Hornady get it done just fine. My Ruger predator in creed is just over 1/2 moa with the 143 eld-x and h4350 with zero load development or seating depth adjustment; I simply chucked a factory eld-x in the die and ran the seating stem down on it.

Haven't yet been able to test how the reloads shoot, but I just got the Hornady match grade set with .288" bushing. The sets I have for other rifles are the standard RCBS full length dies, and I must say this Hornady set sure seems like a definite step up in quality from those.

I typically use RCBS, Lee and Lyman dies but for my 6.5 Creedmoor I bought my first go at Hornady custom grade dies because they were less expensive than the RCBS. My local store only carries 6.5 creedmoor dies in RCBS and Hornady and for some reason RCBS are $65 for the 6.5 creed and the Hornadys were only $40
Im really liking these Hornady dies. I especially like the seating die with the bullet alignment doohicky.

I typically use RCBS, Lee and Lyman dies but for my 6.5 Creedmoor I bought my first go at Hornady custom grade dies because they were less expensive than the RCBS. My local store only carries 6.5 creedmoor dies in RCBS and Hornady and for some reason RCBS are $65 for the 6.5 creed and the Hornadys were only $40
Im really liking these Hornady dies. I especially like the seating die with the bullet alignment doohicky.
rcbs still considers the creed semi-custom... look at the die group on the rcbs... I'm pretty sure they aren't group A dies.....

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.