What 30 cal bullet ....looking for good BC?

kac1345

Ok guys I hope this goes better than my last post lol!
I'm looking for a Hunting bullet to shoot out of my 300WM for long range hunting, I would like to shoot something in the 190-220 range I have a 1-10 twist so this should not be a problem.

I have a few questions on a few
What are the Clich River bullets like? BC wise ect.

Lost River? same question on the J36 and J40's also whats the difference between the Magnum J40 and the standard J40

Basicly you guys get what I'm saying I'm looking for the highest 30cal BC Hunting bullet available.

First off, I would recommend whatever shoots best in your gun. People have posted here that they could not get the lost river bullets to shoot worth a hoot.
I would say give the Nosler Accubond a try, either in 180 or 200gr. Read about the 180 AB/300WM in this post

"First off, I would recommend whatever shoots best in your gun"

Yes that is a givin...but I was looking for something with a little better BC than .5

Dont waste your money of Lost Rivers.
Try Sierra's match kings, Berger's, JLK's, or some of the other high quality custom bullets from some of the other guys listed on this site.

Ive been shooting the 220SMK out of my 300WM for quite some time. If its gonna be used primarily past 500yds or so, the differance in path from the lighter bullets at faster velocity is minimal, and the wind deflection is far superior. Ive got 500 of them on the way as we speak.
I haven't shot any of the CR bullets yet, so I can't comment on them, but if anybody tries to sell you some lost river bullets... RUN!!!
To answer your question about the "magnum J40, and the standard J40" the magnum is a shorter ogive to fit into the magazines of 300WM rifles built on 30-06length actions.
You can't go wrong with the 210s from Breger or JLK, and the 200, and 220 SMKs are good too. In my testing, the Bergers and JLKs tended to be more sensative to variations in seating depth, and didn't shoot enough better than the SMKs to justify the extra cost. Im currently loading for 3 300WM rifles for LR use, and all of them shoot very well with somewhere around 73-79gr of H1000. Very low Es is possible with this combo.

[ QUOTE ]
Basicly you guys get what I'm saying I'm looking for the highest 30cal BC Hunting bullet available.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how you feel about using match bullets on game, but since you mentioned the J40 (a match bullet) ill assume you are comfortable with it. I can personally vouch for the 175, 200, and 220SMK, as well at the 178Amax all working well on "deer sized game". Talking whitetail to muley sized.

That being said, here is a list of a few match bullets that are being used for LRH. If anybody wants to fill in the blanks, jump on in.

Sierra 168 MK .462
Sierra 180 MK .475
Sierra 190 MK .565
Sierra 200 MK .600
Sierra 220 MK .655
Sierra 240 MK .711
Sierra 200 GK .597
Berger 168 .512
Berger 175 .537
Berger 185 .569
Berger 190 .583
Berger 210 .640
JLK 190 .602
JLK 210 .665
AMAX 168 .475
AMAX 178 .495
Cauterucio 190 ____
Cauterucio 210 ____
Clinch River 216 ____
Hornady 180 SST .481
Lapua Scenar 155 .508

There are several other custom bullet makers whos bullets aren't listed here. Feel free to add them if you have measured BC data.

As an add on, your 1:10 twist will likley stabalize the 240SMK as well. They did fine from my 300WM at 1330ftASL even on cold days. if youre down on the coast with cold weather, maybe not, but they work fine from a 1:10 here.

My friend and I shoot the Hornady 190gr btsp out of your 300wm's for hunting. The bc is .491 we have used them for a few years and have taken everything from ground squirrels to moose with them. 71gr of IMR 4350 and cci 250 mag primers have performed well in every 300 we have shot them out of. They don't shoot as good as a SMK, but my 26" sendero shoots them 1/2 moa at 3000 fps. And the animals we have shot with them never have complained too much....

abinok Thanks for the reply...and the list ..you saved me some internet surfing time lol, It looks like The 220SMK and maybe the 210JLK would be what I want to test...I have some 200SMK's loaded now for bbl break -in, Any idea where to buy the JLK's? I considered the 240 SMK's I went with a slightly shorter tube than most 24" on my 300WM ..I wanted a 6.5 contour but yet not to heavy to carry. I know I should have went a bit longer ...but thats ok , Thats what I have the .338LM for /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Thanks to everybody else who posted as well.
Keith

[ QUOTE ]
Ok guys I hope this goes better than my last post lol!
I'm looking for a Hunting bullet to shoot out of my 300WM for long range hunting,

[/ QUOTE ]

200 gr Accubond

[ QUOTE ]
It looks like The 220SMK and maybe the 210JLK would be what I want to test...I have some 200SMK's loaded now
Keith

[/ QUOTE ]

You said Hunting bullets not Target right?

You can find the JKLs at:
Jimmy knox of Dover Ar. 1-479-331-4149
haven't seen any game shot with them... but id expect performance on par with the SMKs.
Anybody who thinks the SMK won't work on game must have been under a rock for the last few years... no slam on the accubond, its a GREAT bullet, but intill we start talking about moose or bigger, ill take the SMK any day.

If they are such a great game bullet they why does Sierra does not advertise them as such? Is it that they want to keep this great secret for themselves only and not chance selling a lot of bullets?

I do not get it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

POP,
Perhaps you should make a post simply titled "matchkings won't work as a hunting bullet" and see what happens. A lot of guys around here use them. I know you know this since you have responded to those threads before.
Try them! They work!
for those wanting some entertainment and discussion about sierra matchkings for game, heres about a months worth. over 100Pages

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/...3510355&p=1

if you want the short version, try this one... only 5 pages... nobody was stupid enough to step up on the anti-matchking side /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...rt=all&vc=1

I know that a lot of people use them here....and elsewhere for that matter. Personally it is one of biggest pet peeves. What can I say?
I just do not think they are the best tool for the job at hand. Lots of guys have been killed with the 25 ACP but it will never ever be my choice for self defense.
However you still not answered my question about Sierra not advertising them as a hunting bullet and actually warning against their use.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.