What’s your spookiest hunting experience?

A few stories...
Sitting in my tree stand at the edge of a field one day outside Smithfield, VA. It is a normal, quiet day until the woods come alive with horrific screaming. It goes on for maybe a couple of minutes and then all goes quiet again. I don't know if it was a battle amongst foxes, bobcats or raccoons, but it was pretty eerie.

Hunting just north of Divide, CO about 8 years ago with a buddy of mine. We split up and meet back at the truck several hours later. He says that I need to come with him to see what he found. He's a bit freaked out about it but he won't tell me about what he found. He takes me a couple of hundred yards off the road to an old campsite that looks like nobody had been there for at least a few days. No tent or sleeping bag to be found, so we think it may have just been someone's resting spot. Next to the fire ring is a backpack with some pictures of family members(?), coffee, sugar, a few clothes. We guess that the older gentlemen in some of the pictures was the owner of the backpack. A book and glasses are laying on the fire ring. Some old, torn up rain gear is thrown over a fallen tree. A loaded shotgun is leaning up against a tree, just feet away. The shotgun had been there for at least a few days as there was a little rust forming in the barrel. We try not to disturb the scene too much and call 911 as we don't know if this is a missing person situation, a lost hiker or something else. A couple of deputies show up and question us before letting us go. Never heard what came of the situation.

Hunting turkeys east of Walsenburg, CO a couple of years ago. It is a very arid area, almost desert-like. We are walking across a field towards a woodline when I catch something out of the corner of my eye just as I'm about to set my right foot down. It is kind of funny how you can launch vertically when only one foot is on the ground and you're off-balance. I'm not afraid of snakes, but when you unexpectedly catch a 3'+ snake that blends in with the dry grass slinking across your path and right where you are going to put your foot, it will scare the !@#$ out of you. Turns out it was just a harmless, puffed up Bull Snake. We all lived to see another day.

Sitting in a tree stand on Ft. Leavenworth, KS. This small Army post has the largest standing block of old timber in the state of Kansas, or so I'm told. Lots of huge, old trees down by the river. When you hear the distinctive cracking of wood getting more frequent, the pucker factor tends to go up. When you hear a big tree falling in the woods and taking other trees down with it, you start to wonder if your tree is going to be next. I don't know how far away that tree was from the one I was in, but when it hit the ground, I could feel my tree shaking. Way too close for comfort!
I really dont like snakes. All types. At all. Not one little bit.

Mule deer hunting in New Mexico. We went to check out a new area later in the afternoon. Shadows were getting long rounded a bend in the road there lay a human corpse in a pool of blood! The law was on the way as some else had called it in! The law had lots of questions for us. Next day we drove further back in there in low lock in a jeep! Came up on a little two wheel drive pick up with the doors open and bullet holes in the windshield! We were in the bottom of a canyon and could have been picked off from either side! Rifles ready we headed to the nearest phone (way before cell phones exited)! Law split us up and had more questions. The most scared I have very been. Turned out to be a local murder! That first night I learned to drink whiskey straight and it did not help me sleep!
Hunted Starr, Webb and Duval counties down in south TX for 20 years.. some weird stuff happened during that time. They would tell me to sleep with my sidearm under a pillow with my truck keys because someone could rob me while I slept in the trailer. Dead humans etc. Probably 10x worse now.

Last edited:
This one happened 40 plus years ago out in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Had a sketch part-time weekend job at the Toyota dealer, where's a guy go to another Toyota dealer and bring a new rig back. So me, the girlfriend ,and a buddy go with, spent a Saturday drove couple hours and brought back to Santa Fe, this little 4X4 Toyota pickup truck.Buddy parks my rig, and we pickup his girlfriend, some beers, and the 4 of us gonna take the new Toyota up the mountains on the fire road to look for Elk and watch the Sunset, which are very cool colors, out there. Buddy and his girl are riding in the bed of truck, still legal back then, heading up and we are still on the shady side of the mountain, but,pine tree had fallen across and the road is blocked. Turned the 4X4 around parked it, gonna miss sundown but, perfect evening , good company, couple beers, mountain air all good so far, anyways. For some reason,we decide to pop the hood and check out the motor on this little popcorn fart rig. His girlfriend had great survival instincts and like a border collie, she was always scanning the horizon for impending danger or doom. She's going, hey Boys, look at this chit !!! This frikN Thing is running thru timber, comes to where the dozer cut the mountain off to make the road, he drops like 15-20 foot down, *** over tea kettle ,to the road we're on, he's about 100 foot away from us. Thing gets up, like 6ft 8in or better, really bad posture, kinda bent over at top, and completely covered from head to toe, with same red clay sand dirt color of the fire road. Guy has no boots, is barefoot and filthy feet are are like super sized about 1/3 bigger than a normal person that big. His hair is like an old sheep that nobody shears anymore, thick matted mass all down to his shoulders and over his face. Guy has pants on that end 12 inches from ground and bottom part of the pants are cut in long strips.He had what looked like denim coat no color, other than dirt showing, with sleeves just cut like foot short of his hands. Guys righting himself after his tumble and we're walking over towards him, we're now about 50 foot away with only a Buck 110 and a beer bottle, if the S' hits the fan. He turns his face about 1/4 turn to look our way, Holy Hanna, super ugly dude, huge over hanging brow line, face just filthy dirty, never seen soap. He turns and starts long striding straight away down the fire road, The Girls are going, Let's get the F' Out of Here Now!! We go back to the truck, girls are already in the cab. we close the hood. Buddy's girlfriend will not ride in the pickup bed so 4 of us are jammed in cab of that little Toyota pickup. All the way back to the lights of Santa Fe, we're going What the F' was that? Did you see his FrikN Feet? Holy Hanna his face was a F'N Nightmare!! Nobody said anything about Bigfoot, don't think we'd even heard of him ,back then. Next morning, we turned in the Toyota to the dealership, went had a good Cowboy's breakfast at the Square in town.

Last edited:
I realize this could go a few different directions, but I know we all have some stories that left us freaked out or weirded out.

I have two, both deer hunting in Northern Idaho. Hiking down a skid road when I heard the most insane yipping and cayaying. It was heading right at me at speed, and I went from confused to fully assuming I was about to be whacked by coyotes/wolves/feral dogs. My hind brain took over and I dove behind a stump and threw my rifle across it, just in time to see a pair of Barred Owls come zooming through the brush, just making the most godawful racket you've ever heard. Took a few minutes to calm down after that.

Second was weirder and still unexplained. I packed a small muley about 4 miles back to the truck, arrived around 9pm, and found another guy waiting by my truck. Super nice, said he was just making sure I made it off the mountain cause it wasn't the safest area (his words). I asked him why, and he just put his finger to his lips and said "sit and listen". I was wrecked so I was happy to sit for a bit. After about 5 minutes, on the opposite side of the canyon I heard what I can only describe as a wounded elk squalling. Half bugle, high pitched, but changing tempo and pitch oddly. It went straight to the spine and made me want to bail. Right as that sound ended, the same type of call lit off on the mountain I had just came down. A third call answered the second from back to the west a good ways. These three calls went back and forth for all of 15-20 minutes before they just stopped with no warning. The other guy and I hadn't said a word the whole time we listened, fairly transfixed. Then he just smiled and me and said "this is why I waited. Not a good mountain to be on after dark". And off he drove. I have no idea what I heard that night (I'm not a big foot believer) but it was the most eerie, hair raising communication I've ever heard. I moved shortly after that (graduated from school and moved home) and I've never been back up there.
Now THAT is a great story & I believe every word of it. 👍

This one happened 40 plus years ago out in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Had a sketch part-time weekend job at the Toyota dealer, where's a guy go to another Toyota dealer and bring a new rig back. So me, the girlfriend ,and a buddy go with, spent a Saturday drove couple hours and brought back to Santa Fe, this little 4X4 Toyota pickup truck.Buddy parks my rig, and we pickup his girlfriend, some beers, and the 4 of us gonna take the new Toyota up the mountains on the fire road to look for Elk and watch the Sunset, which are very cool colors, out there. Buddy and his girl are riding in the bed of truck, still legal back then, heading up and we are still on the shady side of the mountain, but,pine tree had fallen across and the road is blocked. Turned the 4X4 around parked it, gonna miss sundown but, perfect evening , good company, couple beers, mountain air all good so far, anyways. For some reason,we decide to pop the hood and check out the motor on this little popcorn fart rig. His girlfriend had great survival instincts and like a border collie, she was always scanning the horizon for impending danger or doom. She's going, hey Boys, look at this chit !!! This frikN Thing is running thru timber, comes to where the dozer cut the mountain off to make the road, he drops like 15-20 foot down, *** over tea kettle ,to the road we're on, he's about 100 foot away from us. Thing gets up, like 6ft 8in or better, really bad posture, kinda bent over at top, and completely covered from head to toe, with same red clay sand dirt color of the fire road. Guy has no boots, is barefoot and filthy feet are are like super sized about 1/3 bigger than a normal person that big. His hair is like an old sheep that nobody shears anymore, thick matted mass all down to his shoulders and over his face. Guy has pants on that end 12 inches from ground and bottom part of the pants are cut in long strips.He had what looked like denim coat no color, other than dirt showing, with sleeves just cut like foot short of his hands. Guys righting himself after his tumble and we're walking over towards him, we're now about 50 foot away with only a Buck 110 and a beer bottle, if the S' hits the fan. He turns his face about 1/4 turn to look our way, Holy Hanna, super ugly dude, huge over hanging brow line, face just filthy dirty, never seen soap. He turns and starts long striding straight away down the fire road, The Girls are going, Let's get the F' Out of Here Now!! We go back to the truck, girls are already in the cab. we close the hood. Buddy's girlfriend will not ride in the pickup bed so 4 of us are jammed in cab of that little Toyota pickup. All the way back to the lights of Santa Fe, we're going What the F' was that? Did you see his FrikN Feet? Holy Hanna his face was a F'N Nightmare!! Nobody said anything about Bigfoot, don't think we'd even heard of him ,back then. Next morning, we turned in the Toyota to the dealership, went had a good Cowboy's breakfast at the Square in town.
Well you either found Bigfoot or Cousin Lenny got lost from the rabbit farm!

Now THAT is a great story & I believe every word of it. 👍
Thanks! I went many years not telling that story, as I had a hard time articulating it and I didn't expect anyone to believe me. Then on my bear pack out in early august, the impetus for this whole thread was when I told my good buddy Tom that story and he stopped dead in his tracks and said "Holy S*** dude, I know that sound. My brother and I heard it once too. Clearly communication, but I've never heard an animal EVER make those noises". He relayed his experience, and I got to wondering whether anyone else had been involved in something similar.

Aww, you didn't like living on the "Rock"? A bit windy for my taste. I bet I hauled more crap out there than I can count.
The Black Pearl of the Aleutian. Man was I happy to leave there. In Feb of 75 we had a 7.5 earth quake. Followed up with a 6.5 four days later. No heat, no water in the buildings. Had to melt snow to wash your face. Never eating powdered anything, ever. I didn't include that info in the spooky story because I wasn't sure to be believed. That scared me so bad that I was shaking so hard I couldn't put my pants on. What the heck. If the guy's and gals here want to here about the most scared I've ever been? Let me know.

The Black Pearl of the Aleutian. Man was I happy to leave there. In Feb of 75 we had a 7.5 earth quake. Followed up with a 6.5 four days later. No heat, no water in the buildings. Had to melt snow to wash your face. Never eating powdered anything, ever. I didn't include that info in the spooky story because I wasn't sure to be believed. That scared me so bad that I was shaking so hard I couldn't put my pants on. What the heck. If the guy's and gals here want to here about the most scared I've ever been? Let me know.
That's what we're here for!

Bring it on!

Many years ago, a buddy and I backpacked into the high mountains of northern Utah the night prior to the opening of the deer hunt. We were dry camping with minimal gear because we expected to pack out anything we shot in one load, so our packs were light with only the barest of essentials (food, water etc.)
We hiked for several hours and got to a good spot about an hour before dark, settling in to watch as they were pushed by hunters setting up camps in the lower valley miles away.
About an hour after dark, there was a scream, followed by a terrifying cray and a pounding of hooves. I say bolt upright looking for the source of the noise just in time to watch a couple of deer run right at me and my buddy. I rolled to the side with my gun which was at hand and watch the 2 deer thunder past me followed closely by a Mountain Lion intent on making one of them dinner. As the Cat was about 5 yards away, running full out, it let out another scream which made the hair on the back of my neck stand straight up.
I'm glad the cat was intent on the deer and didn't realize we were right there and easy pickings. When the deer and cat were well clear of us, I looked over and my buddy was lying flat on the ground with his hands over his head so he wouldn't have been much help if the cat had decided we'd make a better meal. That said, I guess, looking back, I'm glad he didn't think to get his gun because that could have been a whole different story.

Quite a few years back I set out before daylight to get to an area to call coyotes. It is a long trek to get to the public ground behind all of the private property. A lot of wintering deer in this area. Once I left my vehicle I walk some not so used railroad tracks to get there. These tracks have some cuts it goes through so the banks are high. I also have one tunnel to walk through. I was carrying a small flashlight to help navigate the railroad ties under the snow. It's not easy walking. After a short bit I heard a very low very deep growl. Man was my flashlight scanning all around as I didn't know where it came from. I never seen anything, no eye reflections nothing. I stayed there having a mini debate wether I should go back or man up and continue. I was also second guessing myself if I heard what I think I heard. I continued on but I was scanning all directions all the banks everything. I soon reached the tunnel and started in, It is probably 150-200 yards long. Rock walls with a lot of timbers for support. I was really scanning all areas in here. At the same time walking fast as I was only 99 percent sure no train would come through. In these situations you are using all your senses and your nerves are at their end, thats when as I was walking a bunch of pigeons busted out of there. I pretty much died right there.