What’s your spookiest hunting experience?

This is one of those almost spending the night out…..and not preparred nor wanting to! 😁

I'll attempt to set the stage…..I was about 20, deer hunting from a blind in the thickets of Central Louisiana just north of my Grandfather's fence line. His little 40 acre place is at the end of a road of about 4 miles in length, with only 2 other places along the road, another 40 acre parcel and another 20 acre place. Both of which are timber/brush covered with no fencing…..it would be real easy to go right past or through these places without even knowing!

If you miss any of these 3 places….. from where I was hunting it's a pretty good ways to roads, a very small town, or any other homes. To the west, the small town is about 4 or 5 miles, to the north about 10 or 12 miles through some really nasty terrain, to the east about 4 miles to the gravel road running N/S, and to the south just a few hundred yards away my Grandfather's fence line…..if you didn't veer to the right very far, as I was near the NW corner!

I hunted until I could no longer see the sights on my S&W Model 28, and headed out to my Grandfather's place. In mere moments it was pitch dark, making any landmarks useless…..even with a flashlight!

After walking for what seemed like a long time to cover just a couple hundred yards…..I decided to take a look at my compass. What I saw left me in disbelief and denial…..it said that I was going almost 180 degrees the wrong! I didn't want to believe the compas. I even went so far as to, put ever metal that I had a ways from me to get an accurate reading…..still showed me 180 off. 🙀

Now came one of the hardest decisions that I had ever made……believe my compass or my uncanny sense if direction! 😂 With all of my thoughts telling me the compass was wrong…..I, with great difficult, made an about-face and started walking!

Much to the dismay of many of you, in a little while I found the fence line…..and lived to tell this story! 😂 memtb
Slight navigational errors can turn big!

Last elk season I was chasing a huge 6x7 on my own. I'd seen him cross the road, so I drove down 2 miles to another cross cut road and parked at the head of it and hiked down until I cut his very fresh tracks. So, being in decent shape and well prepared, I dove off the roads edge right at noon. Silly me to think I could catch an elk who was on the move.

I chased tracks down off the cut bank of the road and into a flat basin for about 300 yards, and then the tracks went straight up a mountainside. In my excitement I just trucked up it as fast as I could. It was one of those mountains that's at least a 25-30 degree slope, covered in bark less conifer branches under the snow. Half of your steps end up sliding backwards because you hit one of those slick wet branches.

I hit the log landing on the hilltop finally around 3pm, and here was my big mistake. I checked my GPS and saw I was at the end of a skidroad that tied into a road system, which looked like it dropped straight back to my truck. If I had zoomed in farther, I would have seen that the roads did not connect at all, and instead the system I was on was a 9 mile walk back to pavement, then 7 miles North to the road I was parked on. But, I did not look closely enough.

I started hiking down the skidroad and realized that without timber cover, the snow was mid shin deep and slow and exhausting to walk through. It was only half a mile to the nearest junction, but it took me 45 minutes to get there. Thankfully, that was a traveled road that had tire tracks to walk down.

By now it was nearly 4, sunset is at 5:15 or so. I changed into dry, not sweat soaked clothes for the hike down, and headed out. And kept going, and going. About an hour in I got worried I wasn't on the right route, and checked my GPS thoroughly and realized the mistake I had made. But at that point it would have been dangerous as hell to cross country back to my truck, so I stuck with my choice and kept heading down hill. Thankfully, I was prepared as I could have been. Extra clothes, bivvy, fire supplies, food and water, wearing all quality gear, several headlamps and batteries. It would have been uncomfortable to spend the night out there in the 15 degree weather, but I would have survived.

When the sun went down I started panicking a bit. I had to continually remind myself that I was on a traveled road, was well prepared, and would certainly have people out looking for me by dark. This was a bit fallacious, as my hunting camp thought I may have gone home without telling them so they drove into town to get cell service and start making calls, and weren't looking for my truck. I learned a lot of lessons this trip...

Finally around 8:30pm I saw headlights, and it was a guy heading back to camp. He very kindly gave me a lift, and I was shocked that it was nearly a 45 minute drive just to get back to my vehicle. That hike would have been brutal. We did start passing some camps within 3 miles so I would have had shelter and help soon enough, but I'm glad he came by when he did.

Getting back to camp, everyone was pretty angry that I didn't tell them where I was, and they were scared. But happy I wasn't dead! The only bad part, I jumped in the truck with my grandpa (who was too angry to talk to me for at least 30 minutes) and we drove into town to call my folks and let them know I was alive. Then I called my fiance, who is new to the hunting world, and got about a 30 second "Hi I'm safe I love you!" before my grandpa drove back out of cell coverage. She was pretty upset with me for not explaining things a bit more to her, which was fair. The next day we all stuck pretty close to camp.

I've never heard of someone putting a laser on their bow! Is that common back east? Nothing electronic is legal on a bow in Oregon so I've never seen one. Did the hunter actually launch the arrow?
I had never seen it done before or since. Doubt it's legal but I really don't know. Personally I bow hunt with a recurve and don't even have a bow quiver on it.
No he didn't release,but he was at full draw with a compound. I went from confused to really angry,and then scared when I realized how close it was to being a really bad hunting trip.

I had never seen it done before or since. Doubt it's legal but I really don't know. Personally I bow hunt with a recurve and don't even have a bow quiver on it.
No he didn't release,but he was at full draw with a compound. I went from confused to really angry,and then scared when I realized how close it was to being a really bad hunting trip.
That would be beyond infuriating. I'm glad your buddy was watching.

When I was a kid I was in a deer stand with probably four other buddies in different stands on the same property, about threemiles between me and the furthest other hunter. When it was just getting too dark to shoot, the woods all around me filled up with some kind of demented circus music that lasted about two or three minutes. Didn't fade in from a distance and fade away; it just surrounded the stand from every direction and ended when the song ended.

High tailed it out of the stand and met up with the other guys. They had all heard the same thing, immediately around them. We were all stupified and still talk about it to this day.

OK, my last Alaskan story (unless I can remember another one). Still in the military, still a real neophite hunter. Same 30-06 my father-in-law gave me. This time some commerical ammo (probably 180 gr silver tip as I remember).
My (just as ignorant) neighbor and I decide to go hunting brown bears. We pack up my camper and drive into the outback.
In the morning we find the entire mountan is covered in heavy fog (clouds? What do we know or care) As we are slowly walking in the fog, I see a silhouette of what appears to be a bear standing on its hind legs looking towards us.
Ever see a mount of a brownie? rifles 6 ft high and two big paws just waiting for you? What was I thinking. Obviously not much as I slowly approach looking through the rifle scope. **** thing started to look really big.
Then the fog begins to clear and in front of me on a boulder is this 8 inch marmot.
Say what?
View attachment 488861
As I have matured as a hunter, I often wonder what the outcome would have been if it had turned out to be an Alaskan brownie?????
This his brother?

I've always wondered that as well, how can a hunter shoot at a shape. When I was in grade school a friends dad was shot during elk season by other unknown hunters. Just shooting at movement.

If I don't have an absolute perfect angle and know exactly where I'm going to hit, I won't pull the trigger. It's such a foreign concept to think that someone could just… blindly fire at a shape

Many years ago, I worked with a guy that shot and killed his own father while on a turkey hunt! ☹️ Many people at the job thought it was intentional…..who knows? memtb

Last edited:
Brad, had a similar thing happen about 25 years ago …..though a coyote!

I was hunting elk, standing, glassing a large willow bottom! I was standing on a very small vertical rock cliff extended out from it's base about 20 feet nothing but broken rock! From where I was standing, the cliff continued in a sharp bend to my right!

I suddenly heard hooves on the rocks, then below me pasted a doe deer with a coyote "hot on her heels"!

The coyote must have smelled up, and "locked the brakes" immediately below me! That coyote's deer chasing days immediately ended when a 270 grain Hornady SP hit him between the shoulder blades!

Oh how I love a "Happy Ending"! memtb

When I was just a little kid, growing up in La, I had similar happen! The .177 Benjamin Pump was not very comforting! Perhaps that was the foundation of desiring to "ALAWYS" carry "enough" rifle! 😂 memtb
I had a Ben for a time when I was 9-10. Hard to pump up, I was kinda small. But boy could that thing put out the lead!