What’s your favorite big game hunt ?

Discussion in 'How To Hunt Big Game' started by trumperman, Jan 20, 2018.

1. trumperman

trumperman Well-Known Member

So what is your absolute favorite big game hunt? The one that you tell everyone they MUST go on! Lets hear details; species, location, outfitter or DIY, successful or not, going back, etc.
    I have been on a number of different hunts and want to start thinking about the next adventure

2. Barrelnut

Barrelnut Well-Known Member

Spring bear hunting in Oregon: Bears can be out in the open, DYI friendly, Nice weather (April and May), woods aren't crowded, Laid-back spot and stalk with long range shot possibilities. Good chance of getting one too.

Mack1964, Mike 338, Sevy and 3 others like this.
  3. Sykes

Sykes Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Black bears have me hooked here in Colorado. Can't wait for Sept 2nd to get here each year. Definitely want to start going up to Wyoming and do the spring bear season there

HARPERC likes this.
  4. CaptnC

CaptnC Well-Known Member

Spot and stalk about anything...gun or bow.

Or calling in gobblers...no blind...no decoys...no yellow call (feed/corn). Nothing like calling them in one on one without any cructches!

trumperman likes this.
  5. ScottMc7

ScottMc7 Active Member

Nothing gets the heart pumping and blood rushing like a bear hunt. There's always something about those teeth and claws you just wanna take em down.

6. Aoudad shooter1975

Aoudad shooter1975 Well-Known Member

Bighorn sheep...but unless you have an unlimited wallet then it's maybe a once in a lifetime thing... I'll break these out by budget...my first list is sub $10k...something if someone saves can do this type of hunt every year or at least every 2-3 years....

1. Aoudad sheep...$2500 to $5,000...awesome hunt just like a desert sheep hunt...I have taken countless Aoudad-I was born out in west Texas and own and access a lot of good Aoudad land...would do it everyday if I dint have to make a living...love it!!! ( semi guided...to guided..lots of good guide options..will have a great 3-4 days out in God's country)

2. Nilgai Antelope in South Texas--fun social hunt...good to do with customers or close family members--1-2 day hunt, Guided is the way to go..Double-shot outfitters, Pierce trophy hunts--are good options down here. Cost $2,500-$3500.

3. Pronghorn Antelope--done it lots of place and enjoy it...spend a lot of time behind the glass..peaceful...unless you are there opening day...then it's a rodeo on public ground. $500-$2500

4. African Plains Game safari to Namibia or South Africa...best bang for the buck in the hunting world...hunt for 6 days kill 5 animals--eat like a king for $5k-$7k--it's a true vacation--lots of good options Kowas safaris, Spiralhorn Safaris are two really good options.

5. Good ol whitetail deer...what's not to like!!! Free-to--$$$$$$$

Above $10k

1. Bighorn Sheep/Dall/Stone...love it done it twice and would do it every year I could. Lots of good outfits if you can draw a tag...some of Dall/Stone Prophet Muskwa is a good outfit...cost $15k-$100k

2. International sheep--Marco Polo, Gobi Aragli, ect....same as above...
    Do your research and enjoy a quality sheep hunt. $25k-$200k.

3. Cape buffalo/elephant. Dangerous, adrenaline filled fun..lots of good places...done it twice...price $12,000 to $50,000 depending on where and length of time.

These are my favorite. I have hunted cats (leopard)..and it was an experience but not my cup of tea. Hunted elk and moose--yes it's grand sport--but a lot of work begins when the critter is down--bear was fun once--but did not light my fire. Lots of things I still would like to hunt...the Capra species is really interesting to me--Mid Asian ibex, and Marco Polo is high on my list, . So is the ibex slam in Spain although they seem a bit pricy on these hunts. I'd like to draw a New Mexico Ibex tag and do that hunt there--but that tag is about as hard to draw as a bighorn!!! To much to do...so little time on this earth!!!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    tuscan, trumperman and CaptnC like this.
  7. Catahoula

Catahoula Well-Known Member

My favorite is DIY spot & stalk black bear hunting. Here in southeast Idaho we have a lot of grizzly bears as well. Can't hunt them but it puts some added excitement in the hunt when you see one & watch it for a while. I also like hunting big mulie bucks.
    Thanks, Kirk

HARPERC and Barrelnut like this.
  8. Plinker147

Plinker147 Well-Known Member

Nothing gets my heart pumping like big mule deer. Challenging to find a big shooter buck on public land beauties to look at.

Coues whitetail probably a close 2nd Extremely challenging to hunt all about glassing and shooting.

Bull elk in the rut are right up there too. Not as challenging but a lot of fun

Tesoro and Barrelnut like this.
  9. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

Wilderness elk hunt. Done about a half dozen trips in the Thorofare region. Most remote place in the lower 48. Plenty of elk, wolves and Grizz. Tough mental and physical hunt if a person is not in shape

truckdweld, MtPockets and Barrelnut like this.
  10. wyowinchester

wyowinchester Well-Known Member

Spot and stalk big muledeer. Most of the real big ones die of old age or mountian lions.
    Getting a look at one, is a heart pumper. Getting within bow shot, buckels the knees.

11. 26Reload

26Reload Well-Known Member

Late season Blacktail deer archery in Oregon....best times to see an elusive BIG Blacktail....and if one doesn't excite you go look for another....Oregon has a generous second season for the deer...you can start in south cascades and follow the season closures til you run out of time there...and incorporate a opportunity for coastal Blacktail as well....all the years I hunted in prime area I never killed a coastal four point.....did see some beautiful huge bucks..just wasn't able to finish the deal.......some people just smell like apples and get them every year....

Mack1964, Barrelnut and HARPERC like this.
  12. Kimber7man

Kimber7man Well-Known Member

Mule deer.

waltercrouse likes this.
  13. dok7mm

dok7mm Well-Known Member

++++ for high country mule deer, a magnificent setting and one of the most sought-after, but hard to attain, trophies.

14. Capt RB

Capt RB Well-Known Member

Whitetails in fresh snow. Love to track them. This is an up close and personal hunt with most shots inside of 50'.

adk hunter likes this.