What’s your opinion here?

Deputy 819 I've basically went through the same ordeal. Between my dads uncle who never had no children and my dad who had me the only son. I inherited several and I mean several firearms. Of dads uncles there was a lot of cheaper shotguns that I personally have absolutely no use for. With that being said the ones that do have some value I can see keeping and the ones that he hunted with I wouldn't take an arm or leg for lots of good and fun memories. But the others I'm not against selling . But still I'm not advertising

This actually happened to me. My uncle passed away and had all these awesome military surplus rifles. Like really cool stuff. SKS, pre ban AKs, a matching serial number M1 garand, Colt 1911s, k98 mausers, m1 carbines, and several military kits /uniforms that matched the weapons country and time period.

My cousin, my uncles only son, a good dude, loves guns, but didn't understand their monetary value and rarity. He "needs" money and just decides to sell all this stuff off to his "friends." I specifically asked him not to sell the stuff, and if he were in a money bind I would just give him cash for whatever stupid little bills he had. So he sells all this stuff for like $500-$600 a piece and now here he is still broke, without cool guns, and nothing to remember his dad by. Still pi sses me off to this day just thinking about it. He could have at least sold them to me. I would have held on to them for him. It could have stayed in the family. AND he regrets it!

Still pi sses me off to this day just thinking about it. He could have at least sold them to me. I would have held on to them for him. It could have stayed in the family.
Absolutely! Those items you mentioned are on a whole other level and definitely should've stayed in the family. That sucks, bro! :mad:

Another story, best friends grandpa passed away. He was a straight up hoarder. Super wealthy, and he would buy tons of guns. He would buy them and just put them under a bed, in a closet, or In the barn. When he passed away my buddy cleaned out his house and literally found hundreds of firearms still new in the box. He didn't even know what to do with them. He kept the ones with sentimental value, like his grandpas hunting rifles and his CCW pistols, but sold or traded everything else off. So that one I can see being justified. Even though my buddy sold a ton off he literally kept about 50 that had some kind of direct correlation between him and memories with his grandpa. Pretty crazy....

I've ran into this problem with grandparent's things before too. My advice would be ask yourself what the person would tell you to do. It's a random gun with no emotional attachments. My guess is if that person were still alive and you asked them they'd tell you to sell it and get something you will enjoy. Just my $.02.

My guess is if that person were still alive and you asked them they'd tell you to sell it and get something you will enjoy. Just my $.02.
I appreciate your $.02, brother......and you're probably right on that one. The only thing that bugs me is that my Grandmother wouldn't sell it probably because she wanted me to have it......but yeah she'd want me to be happy regardless. 👍

So, a while back I remember a thread that got started about 'firearms you wished you'd never sold' (or something to that effect). This thread is similar to that, but a little more specific as to the situation/conditions. So, here it is. Let's say that you had inherited a firearm (in this case a near mint condition Smith & Wesson model 49 still in original factory box) from a close relative that had passed away and other than being a 'keepsake/sentiment/reminder' you really had no use for it. Do you hang on to it indefinitely simply out of respect or do you tell yourself that you're NOT selling your dearly departed family member (and you'll ALWAYS have the memories), but rather just an inanimate object and sell it/trade it for something you'd rather have/use instead? Of course, there's always just the 'keep it in the family' notion. My apologies for the 'Darker subject matter', but I'd really like to know how others feel about this. Thanks Gents.....Let's hear it.

That's a tough one. If you have a son or may have a grandson. He may be interested in it one day. I guess it would all depend on how close I was to the family member and if I had memories tied to the gun but it looks like you probably don't. I guess it depends on if you think you will regret getting ride of it or not. I'm sure that's no help cause you're trying to figure out if you will regret getting rid of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.