Your Opinion on Self-Defense

Grit , thats why I encourage the call 911 , make it known that I know your their and the police are comming and DO not go looking for trouble.
I'm a trained SAWT officer and am full capible of clearing my own home in almost total darkness quietly , but I'm not gonna go looking for who ever is in here , I' will advance to my sons room and setup just up stream from their as any perp would have to pass their to get to me so that would be for his protection , but you never know what or who it was you heard , hell fo all I know it ould be a SWAT team that got the wrong house !! that would suck !!

JD,
Great advice. I am looking forward to the class. I expect they will address issues like these at length. Should be a great time. I expect the class and the permit will reduce the possibility of my ever having to use a firearm in self defense. Having a plan is certainly more than I do now.

WHen I travel I have something with me here in Tx. The CCW laws are set in place to still allow those who do not have one, to still be able to have it with them under certian circumstances. Most law enforcement here are understanding if you let them know up front that you have one in the vehicle if and when you are stopped. Our trips are usually to remote locations, and evil folks can and sometimes do travel there as well.

At home, I am all for calling the law first if the choice is available, if not, then the same will be said for judged by 12 over carried by 6. We have similar lines of defense as JD, the dog, alarm, and then me. Personally I would rather take my chances with me over the dog. As JD also mentioned, he knows how to take care of things here, and isn't shy about letting you know.
P1010027.jpg

I personally, would have a hard time taking the life of someone over something replacable, however family is a different matter. We have the right here in Tx to defend our lives, homes, and property with lethal force at night. This doesn't mean there will not be consequences, as mentioned. It would really bother me to have to resort to this, but if all else fails, and the intruder doesn't back off, I will do what is necessary to put an end to the situation.

Like many on here, this is a topic that gets me going so I just had to comment.

I have friend who lives in Cleburn TX. He had a son who lived in Pampas TX with his wife and two children. A little over a year ago a man parked about a half mile from his sons house. Walked to the house, kicked in the door, first shot the wife, then the husband, then the 11 year old son then shot the bed where the 9 year old daughter was hiding under the covers. She survived, she was under the bed, the shooter mistook the rumpled covers for the girl.

Yes, the person who broke into your home may be some strung out kid just looking for something quick to steal and just wants get in and out without anyone getting hurt. On the other hand, he could just start shooting......like in Pampas.

I have several friends in law enforcement. One piece of advice they all stress.... Don't pull your gun to scare an intruder or assailant. That can get you killed or in legal trouble (called threatening with a lethal weapon). If the situation has you in fear of your life or that of your family, shoot the person, and kill them........dead men tell no lies.

The related piece of advice. If you are not mentaly prepared to make that kind of decision, don't carry a weapon.

DS,
My 686 may be my favorite weapon. I have developed more skill, feal, and familiarity with this weapon than any other I own. This gun is my companion. It is usually close at hand. Residing between my seats with the handle sticking out. And, frequently hanging on my bedpost.

I was recently pulled over by a highway patrolman. He seemed to resent the handgun beeing there. He asked if I had a ccw permit. I said no. He asked if I had any kind of permit. I said, "Such aaaassss"? He asked why I carried it there. I said it was convenient. About this time it started to rain and he let the matter drop.

I know the laws here, and the manner I carry this gun is perfectly legal. The question it brings to mind is. Are the concealed carry laws themselves an infringement? We all have the right to keep and bear. Why don't we all have the right to bear in a concealed, non alarming fashion?

This is not a question I have explored. Just a passing thought.

About the 686, it isn't exactly concealable. I wore mine into the grocery store not long ago. I had been on a horse ride. I usually carry this gun while riding. And had not taken the belt off. I was supposed to meet my wife and was in a hurry. I recieved no comments, but the rig sure drew some stares.

For those who might be interested, Utah offers the most widely accepted ccw permit in the country. I believe twentythree states accept it at the moment. A very large number of the permits issued are to non residents.

This is how bad it has got in Britain;
If an intruder is savaged by my dog in my home, i am liable to prosecution for having "An out of control dangerous animal" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
This is what happens when liberals are allowed a free hand to bring in human rights laws without any debate at government level /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Ian.

Grit,

Believe it or not I am in the Czech Republic - Europe, CCW is still fine here. I carry a 21/2" barrel 686 plus IWB. I have been through a lot of pistols to settle on this revolver. It does what I need comfortable and reliable, I replaced the rubber grips with wooden ones so it does not chaff the skin. Granted weight is not light but I train a lot more with it than I would a scandium version I think.

David.

Ah, mine is a big pretty one. 6" barrel and the nicest trigger I own. It is a joy to shoot.

Grit, I think there is a big difference between you looking in a fridge in regular street clothes and someone in all black looking through drawers in a bed room. Still, not trying to be silly, but you must have algebra on the brain being a student and all. I can't say that I've ever mistaken a truck b4, however, mine is usually muddy and always has different tires than the usual truck would.

vet,
Only had one thing on the brain in college. It wasn't algebra. Lots of long nights. Lots of longer days after long nights.

As to the truck, the resemblance was almost scary. I have a big scratch on the passenger side above the wheel. The back of my bed is also dented so the four wheeler will fit. This truck had matching scratch and dent. It was dark too. He was also parked just one aisle in front of me.

Used to drive trucks that couldn't be mistaken. I prefer reliable and quiet now.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.