What’s you pack load out?

For me it's archery elk and usually rifle mule deer. In eastern Oregon. But I'm starting to wonder about Oregon.
I think Eastern Oregon is going to be a really hard archery hunt this year. With the drought it's already very dry out there. Yes it's like that every year, but I think this year will be very bad.

Yes it is pretty darned dry and it will definitely not vote well for archery season. Knowing water sources may be your biggest friend. My reference to wondering about Oregon was meant more towards the changes that are being talked about for archery season and their feelings towards firearms.

Yes it is pretty darned dry and it will definitely not vote well for archery season. Knowing water sources may be your biggest friend. My reference to wondering about Oregon was meant more towards the changes that are being talked about for archery season and their feelings towards firearms.
On that I haven't kept up on much. I honestly didn't think I'd stay in Oregon. But the Eastern side is alright.

A bunch of young studs on this forum. I can bivy overnight by adding just 7 lbs. to my pack if water is available. I use a 2-1/2 # quilt. I use a GoLite Lair for a tent (13 oz). It is open in the front, so i tie it to a tree to keep the rain and snow from blowing in. I use an 8 oz bivy instead of a ground cloth. I use a blue foam pad on top of pine duff or grass to pad my old bones. I use Platypus bags for water, and a Sawyer filter. I use a 2 oz. alcohol stove made from a tomato juice can and a titanium cup. Ray Jardin's "Beyond Backpacking" has great ideas for lightweight. If I"m going in snow weather, I have an 11# Kifari Tipi tent with a wood stove, and a NeoAir air mattress in addition to the blue pad. In the summer, I can go for a week with food and water (for the hike) with a 33# pack. My rifle weighs 6.5 lbs with scope and homemade Safari sling.

Base weight for my last 4 day elk trip was 29lbs, and 12 of that was rifle haha.
I was into Ultralight backpacking for years before I ever did any overnight hunting trips, so that helped me out.

I did a 5 night, 6 day thru hike and I was at 22lbs with full food and 2 liters of water. Lots of water on the trail so I didnt carry more. That was with a hammock and tarp setup. With hiking, the more you know, the less you need. Hunting requires a bit more equipment no matter how much you know.

Without food, just gear my pack is 30lbs, food is about 1.5lbs per day. 40lbs base weight is a bit on the heavy side but cutting ounces can cost you hundreds if not thousands. The "Good Idea Fairy" will get you. I try not to pack to early before a trip because adding one thing here and there over the course of a week can hurt too.
You had me all messed up. A thread you started on the hide popped up as deleted member then your hide name is here lol

My Moroka 65ltr pack consists of similar to the OP, but I also have my daypack attached to the main pack, this consists of my 2 knives, a skinner, skinner/gut hook, rangefinder, binos, camera/tripod, gloves (winter/summer) para cord, ammo (28 rounds), first aid kit, snack food, knife sharpener, tape for the muzzle, 2-3ltr water bladder, pair of spare socks (hate wet feet), spare beanie and a few odds and ends like KFC towelettes for cleaning blood off hands etc. I also have a small pump spray bottle containing Eucalyptus/Tea Tree oil to spray on myself and gear.
This adds another 10-12lbs if water is included.
We have a spot where we access via a boat, and other people are very scarce, so we set up a base camp with 44 gallon plastic drums buried with gear in them so we don't have to pack everything in each time, but as above, this is what I take if going to different locations. Normally, 5 days is max for me, 2 days walking in/out and 3 solid days hunting.
We also do the same in NZ, but the relos' have already taken care of Basecamp and tents and stuff.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Posted this in another thread but since I don't often do pictures often, thought I'd move this here too…

I'm down to 34 lbs base weight, with no intention of moving to ultra light for hunting.

Attachments

• A5262200-FF20-47BA-8C99-31B9948F72D2.jpeg
    A5262200-FF20-47BA-8C99-31B9948F72D2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 75
  • 4117E9F7-9A7A-42BE-A26E-BEC4B6E4FF8B.jpeg
    4117E9F7-9A7A-42BE-A26E-BEC4B6E4FF8B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 69
Just weighed mine last night for an upcoming 8 day deer hunt, 70 lbs. Will usually backpack in 3 miles and hunt within 2 miles of base camp. Plan for 2 trips on the way out. 1st- Meat trip 2nd- Gear.

That included.

Pack
2L water bladder
Gun, bipod, suppressor, 15 bullets
Tent, pad, pillow, bag and drop cloth
Dried food and snacks
1 extra shirt and pants
2 extra pair socks
2 extra pair underwear
Solar light, lighter, headlamp, foam seat pad
Jet boil, bowl, utensil, bottle
Kill kit- knife,saw,game bags,gloves, cord
Emergency kit- first aid,matches,life straw,batteries
Wipes, toilet paper, poncho
Tripod,adpters,cell phone
Misc- toothbrush, soap, hand towel, etc..
Small pistol

Just weighed mine last night for an upcoming 8 day deer hunt, 70 lbs. Will usually backpack in 3 miles and hunt within 2 miles of base camp. Plan for 2 trips on the way out. 1st- Meat trip 2nd- Gear.

That included.

Pack
2L water bladder
Gun, bipod, suppressor, 15 bullets
Tent, pad, pillow, bag and drop cloth
Dried food and snacks
1 extra shirt and pants
2 extra pair socks
2 extra pair underwear
Solar light, lighter, headlamp, foam seat pad
Jet boil, bowl, utensil, bottle
Kill kit- knife,saw,game bags,gloves, cord
Emergency kit- first aid,matches,life straw,batteries
Wipes, toilet paper, poncho
Tripod,adpters,cell phone
Misc- toothbrush, soap, hand towel, etc..
Small pistol
Did you steal my pack??? Exactly what's in mine…. I'm always between 65-70lbs for trips that length.

Recent Posts