What’s in your quilt?

I'm not a hunter, I just walk my rifles in the outdoors during hunting season so I can't help there. However, I backpack. I've switched to a quilt myself and love it. This website has great info on light gear, gear lists, gear reviews, recipes, and other stuff.

I got a hammock gear econ 30 and use a sleeping bag liner if it's cold. You're already bringing layers so you can wear them at night too.

Also, this sleeping pad is excellent. Spendy, but excellent. However with this stuff you need to think backpacker with regard to how you treat your gear and not a hunter to beat the crap out of stuff.

https://www.rei.com/product/881575/therm-a-rest-neoair-xtherm-sleeping-pad
I really appreciate your input, and yes, the xrherm pad will be my next upgrade. It has a 5.7 R rating which is way up there compared to most other pads.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be very hesitant to go with down anything. Once it is wet, it collapses and it's worthless. And it takes several days to do. Even hydrophobic down only dries 10% faster. Which isn't much help. I use a Kifaru Doobie in place of a sleeping bag sometimes. I really like it except for it doesn't pack down super small.

I would be very hesitant to go with down anything. Once it is wet, it collapses and it's worthless. And it takes several days to do. Even hydrophobic down only dries 10% faster. Which isn't much help. I use a Kifaru Doobie in place of a sleeping bag sometimes. I really like it except for it doesn't pack down super small.

It would depend on the environment down is very effective in dry weather say Colorado where elevation is high and not expecting rain.
If in the east or south I may choose synthetics as even the snow is super wet.

Good bivy and a tent can mitigate if you are careful though.

If you're wanting to go light then down is about the only option. As long as you have a quality shelter to keep it dry you should have an issue. For cold weather hunts (less than 30 deg) I use a sierra designs zissou 11 degree mummy bag and a long big Agnes insulated air core ultra. This set up is less that 3.5 lbs packed in an air purge dry bag. For warm hunts i use the same pad and a Sierra designs quilt 35 deg, it comes in at 2.5 Lbs packed. There is certainly better quilts than this, but it has worked well for me. A good pad makes a huge difference in warmth as others have noted and can allow you to get a much better nights sleep.

I've been using a down Jacks-R-Better quilt for the past 2 years. I love it! I've used it in a tent on an insulated air matress and in a hammock and it works great either way. I have never had a condensate problem leading to losing the insulating value. Before I got a quilt I spent a year using my mummy bag unzipped like a quilt to experiment so I already knew that would like a quilt before I bought one. On the coldest night's I stick my mattress in the foot box and tuck the quilt sides under the matress to stop drafts. As already posted a warm pad is important when it's cold but that hold true with a sleeping bag as well.

I can recommend th Jacks R Better quilt I have been very happy with mine.

I was thinking the same thing. I got an EE down quilt with the 850 fill but didn't get a chance to use it yet. Also got a hammock/tarp/underquilt for kicks. I can tell you the down quilt very light and packs down small. Seems to me I read an article over on Rokslide about one of those Alaskan dudes who monster hikes in the back-country who used a down quilt and didn't have any problems with it. He stayed warm and dry and he got rained on quite a bit.

Enlightened Equipment custom order to your desires with a Thermarest Neoair Xtherm and fitted sheet and you are good to go... sleep like a baby.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.