EE Quilt vs Kuiu sleeping bag

I love my EE 20 revelation, I sleep on my side and find bags too confining. With a quilt you can vent if too warm, add an over quilt if to cold.

I have a 20 degree EE Quilt and the 15 degree Kuiu bag. Hands down prefer the quilt. The Kuiu is nice, but it is very restricting. Basically all I can do is lay on my back with my legs pinned together.

Re: EE Quilt vs Kuiu sleeping bag (BAG!)

A mummy bag is always more efficient for the weight than ANY quilt B/C quilts don't have hoods and are usually not mummy shaped to reduce the area needing to be heated by your body.

A mummy bag is always more efficient for the weight than ANY quilt B/C quilts don't have hoods and are usually not mummy shaped to reduce the area needing to be heated by your body.

I don't even know how to respond to this post, there is so much fail here. Have you used a EE quilt extensively in cold weather?

I don't even know how to respond to this post, there is so much fail here. Have you used a EE quilt extensively in cold weather?

I've been looking into quilts and this was a hesitation I had since I'm used to a mummy bag. Do you just pull the quilt over your head? Or just wear a warm hat and use the quilt like a blanket?

Thanks

I have a Hammock Gear 15 degree quilt and will also never go back to a mummy again. I'd always wake up to change positions in a mummy and now I can move around much easier and don't wake up nearly as much. I was very reluctant to switch so I tried unzipping my mummy bag similar to the quilt style and decided to do it and I'm glad I did.

I've used other backpacking quilts (Jacks R Better, etc.) But there is no disputing that mummy bags have far more thermal efficiency than quilts.

You may be warm enough in a quilt WITH proper headgear, you may be more comfortable in a quilt than a restrictive mummy bag but you will NOT be warmer in a quilt of the same total weight as a mummy bag. It ain't me saying' that, it's physics.

I do wear a stocking hat with my quilt buy also had to wear it with the mummy as tightening a hood made it much worse when moving around. I'd disagree with the thermal efficiency vs total weight issue since a quilt does not have zippers and draft tube, etc. So I think the weight of a 15 degree mummy is not lighter than a 15 degree quilt with the same down quality. I think we are not talking a lot of weight either way. Conceptually, I agree heating less space is required in a mummy because it's so tight but I think the down underneath you, zippers and draft tube in a mummy is basically wasted weight. Both systems require an insulated pad for colder weather so no difference there. Assuming both are comfortable at the same temps, I'd rather be comfortable and sleep good, rather than be comfortable and not sleep well. Not saying mummies aren't good for some but for those of us that move around a lot, a quilt is a great option and I was rather skeptical before I tried one.

you will NOT be warmer in a quilt of the same total weight as a mummy bag. It ain't me saying' that, it's physics.

Actually it's thermal dynamics not physics at all. And your statement contradicts itself. Two insulating layers of equal weight and the same insulating material will retain the same amount of heat. The difference is that the quilt is open on the bottom where the bag is not. However much of the insulating value from the mummy bag is lost on the bottom because the down is smashed and the is not much loft remaining. With bags other than down this is not as much of an issue but still exist. The biggest reason a mummy bag seems warmer is because it is easier to control drafts.

I agree with you Wyodog. Drafts can be a concern/issue with a quilt. Mine has places where you can attach straps/cord which I put under the pad to minimize this issue. I also ordered the sewn in foot box so it's similar to a mummy in the foot area. Some have snaps that help keep the foot area more secure from drafts and if you unsnap it can function just like a blanket. At any rate, I love my quilt but I'll still keep my mummy for other family members that are not rollers at night!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.