What’s up with Hornady’s reloading podcast?

I'm a bit confused. I've heard of the first podcast episode you referenced, and tend to agree with the premise that more than three or five shots need to be fired to determine group size. I've not heard the second podcast you mentioned. Are you saying Hornady is telling folks they need a 20 shot group to determine group size (first podcast) and they are also saying a reloader can determine a loads accuracy with just two shots after a change? Those two directly conflict with each other, so I must be misunderstanding?
My history says it was episode 121. I never watched the whole thing

Haven't listened to the podcast but did read the Outdoor Life article. The author talks about his first hunting rifle being a Remington model 710, which tells me he's either fairly young or extremely late to the game (which I am also in that category). Hard to put trust into his words when his experience is already somewhat behind that of many on this forum. That said, he also states that both he and Hornady admit that experienced Reloader a will likely not believe what they say and find it inside…basically telling the naysayers up front that they are expected to naysay in an effort to invalidate them.

I think what they are talking about is very accurate when it comes to loading their bullets as far as jump. Now if you're talking VLD's or other secant ogive bullets I think seating can have a pretty big affect.

As far as ladders it is interesting getting them to repeat. I have had a few barrels that seemed to have a "flat spot" that was somewhat repeatable but I think that comes down to hitting a sweet spot on case fill and ignition and it's never going to repeat exactly as it did. I don't think there is anything magical about .3 grains more or less somehow shooting better and if you shoot a 10 or more round group you won't be able to tell the "node" from the .3 grain different load.

I love it when guys shoot a bunch of 3 round groups with .2 or .3 grain differences and all average about 1" and then one will be .3 and they think they have something. Do that again and let's see that one load that shot .3 shoot it again at that exact charge.

Do some research . Most factory ammo. Inconstant seating depth, brass weigh and length, powder charge and type, primer seating depth, It is no wonder you see factory youtube videos about group dispersion. Group dispersion is a real thing but if you reload and control the variables the group dispersion become very small. Ask anyone that seriously competes in competition. No one is winning long range with factory ammo. Is factory ammo good? Yes. Is it as good in every individual rifle as a carefully tailored hand load? No. This is where I have a problem, when all accuracy/group size/dispersion test experts come out with their results for their product and put a blanket type statement out declaring their results a gospel. Some qualify the finding by admitting that it is only a small sample size, but it is usually such a small and low key acknowledgement that it is often missed. This type of misinformation leads the new shooter that is trying to learn down the wrong path that thing could and should be better and the knowledgeable rifleman/reloader to feel challenged. There is nothing wrong with factory ammo as long as you find something your gun like. It is great for most long range out to medium type distance. for most this is inside 500 yds and that is a long way, especially in the wind with most equipment, if you are not practiced. This is just my 2 cent on the factory ammo producers pigeon holing all shooters, ammo and reloaders into one basket. That is not the case.

Yes. And atips. Accuracy can be tuned with bullet seating depth, powder charge and/or a tuner. It's been common knowledge since I started in the early 90's. I don't know why Hornady is trying to convince otherwise other than maybe they are struggling with accuracy and just trying to convince this is normal

Yes. And atips. Accuracy can be tuned with bullet seating depth, powder charge and/or a tuner. It's been common knowledge since I started in the early 90's. I don't know why Hornady is trying to convince otherwise other than maybe they are struggling with accuracy and just trying to convince this is normal
Like melting plastic tips???

I forgot to mention the ammo manufactures take on barrel tuners. I feel with the limited testing and the parameters used by them, along with the ammo and limited firearms used, that the conclusion that was reached was only valid for "a rough assumed conclusion" at best. If tuners or any weight affecting the barrel of a rifle made no difference, why would we bother free floating, bedding the shank, or bedding the barrel and acknowledge the differing results?

I don't, and never have, bought into anything Hornady…
Their BS new name for their new cartridges, being PRS, is laughable. Every bullet of theirs I have ever measured varied by .005" at least on the BTO. This is NOT precision or anywhere close to it.
They call everything 'Match' and none of their products are match grade…

Cheers.