What’s up with Hornady’s reloading podcast?

nealm66

I remember reading something about Hornady saying something about small samples not meaning anything and causing quite a ruckus but I never really paid much attention to it all. I just watched a portion of a fairly recent YouTube video where they were discussing reloading while I'm healing up from a pulled wisdom tooth. Man, I feel sorry for all the folks that are sucked into their advice. I never watched the whole thing but it almost sounded like one of them was saying bullet seating didn't have much effect and a couple shots of a random powder charge would let a guy know if it was a good combination or not. Neither of these are what I've found through the years. Good grief. Eventually the truth will come out and I hope they have the honor to come back and admit they were misinforming people.

I remember reading something about Hornady saying something about small samples not meaning anything and causing quite a ruckus but I never really paid much attention to it all. I just watched a portion of a fairly recent YouTube video where they were discussing reloading while I'm healing up from a pulled wisdom tooth. Man, I feel sorry for all the folks that are sucked into their advice. I never watched the whole thing but it almost sounded like one of them was saying bullet seating didn't have much effect and a couple shots of a random powder charge would let a guy know if it was a good combination or not. Neither of these are what I've found through the years. Good grief. Eventually the truth will come out and I hope they have the honor to come back and admit they were misinforming people.
I have always been a cynic, and avoid infomercials from someone who is producing something to sell. In addition, a couple of friends and I had the worst luck with said company's ammunition, so one more reason for me to ignore anything coming out of their marketing department. Just me though.

Last edited:
I have always been a cynic, and avoid infomercials from someone who is producing something to sell. In addition, a couple of friends and I had the worst luck with said company's ammunition, so one more reason for me to ignore anything coming out of their marketing department. Just me though.
This right here. Unfortunately my range buddy is one that gets sucked into thier nonsense. I do my best to keep him out of the blackhole they emit. Sometimes I win, sometimes I just have to watch the trainwreck.

I guess we shouldn't care that they're wrong and a bunch of folks will never realize the true potential of their rifles but for some reason it really bothers me
The thing is if I were to challenge then, they can say " who the hell are you". A lot of the "experts" on line and YouTube are getting sponsored by many such companies. So, be your own cynic, make your own tests.

I'm a bit confused. I've heard of the first podcast episode you referenced, and tend to agree with the premise that more than three or five shots need to be fired to determine group size. I've not heard the second podcast you mentioned. Are you saying Hornady is telling folks they need a 20 shot group to determine group size (first podcast) and they are also saying a reloader can determine a loads accuracy with just two shots after a change? Those two directly conflict with each other, so I must be misunderstanding?

Well, maybe one of the poor soles sucked into that bs can find someone with actual experience near them and show them how to fix the load they created with that nonsense and then they might try to convince the other poor soles