What’s the farthest you have taken a big game animal with a rifle?

Bull elk (my avatar) 1050 yards. 338 CheyTacImp, Berger 300 gr EH.
Cow elk 480 yards. 338 CheyTacImp, 280 barnes LRX.
Pronghorn doe 755 yards. 7-300 NMI, Berger 195 EOL
Pronghorn doe 747 yards. 7 Practical, Berger 180 Hybrid.
Mule deer buck 550 yards. 6.5 JRS 125 Nosler Partition.
Mule deer buck 829 yards. 30-378 Wby Berger 215 Hybrid.
Coyote 429 yards. 300 NM Berger 210 VLDH.
That's the fun of living where you can see something that far. Almost no chance of that in Alabama. I'm envious.

Ok I'll jump in. 543 yds bull elk with 300 RUM 180 Barnes TTSX. A bunch of buck and doe lope between 400 to 500 yds. Most with 7 Rem Mag and 300 RUM and couple with 300 WM, 6.5 PRC and 1 with 6.5x284. The longest deer shot was muley buck in Ut. Very steep uphill 656 yds. First two shots high. He just looked around and never moved. Then I remembered to hold low on up and down hill shots 🙄 Third shot I held on air under chest. Dropped him. The angle was so steep I was laying on the ground prone with stock on the ground and me sideways and I didn't get bit by scope. Was a 7 Rem mag. Had to go down a hill cross a creek then up the steep sob pulling myself up by bush's and trees. I was young and great shape though. Coming down I couldn't keep the buck from passing me and poking me in butt and legs with antlers. I came down a different route and it ended up a 30 ft. Cliff down to stream. I told buddy I'm dropping it off cliff. Couldn't hold him any longer from sliding off. He tries to get under to catch it. I yelled get out of the way ! He stepped back and when it came down an antler tine poked him in the thigh. I yelled you dumb sob ! Could of been a lot worse. 😳 I drug across stream and said go up and tie my pack frame to a rope and throw down. I cut the buck up and tied to frame and pulled up each time. Got done and when drove off he said don't ever do that again (shoot that high up) 😆 We were on way home from a 5 day camp hunt. About 1/2 mile from hitting pavement. I was driving and still looking for a buck. You know what I mean... I looked left and way up high I saw him and said that's either a bighorn a a big buck way up there. Looked in binos and said it's a buck and I'm going to shoot him. He said I don't see a buck. Lol. You know the rest of the story. Sorry for rambling on so long. A memory will pop into my mind and I want to re live it and tell it. Helps remember them 🤔

I forgot a couple... longest whitetail doe 442 yds with a, a , a, a... 6.5 Needmore w/143 eldx. Then right after another at 412 right by first one . Not long shots . Then last year a doe lope at 424 yds with a 257 Weatherby. Done !

Last edited:
Ok I'll jump in. 543 yds bull elk with 300 RUM 180 Barnes TTSX. A bunch of buck and doe lope between 400 to 500 yds. Most with 7 Rem Mag and 300 RUM and couple with 300 WM, 6.5 PRC and 1 with 6.5x284. The longest deer shot was muley buck in Ut. Very steep uphill 656 yds. First two shots high. He just looked around and never moved. Then I remembered to hold low on up and down hill shots 🙄 Third shot I held on air under chest. Dropped him. The angle was so steep I was laying on the ground prone with stock on the ground and me sideways and I didn't get bit by scope. Was a 7 Rem mag. Had to go down a hill cross a creek then up the steep sob pulling myself up by bush's and trees. I was young and great shape though. Coming down I couldn't keep the buck from passing me and poking me in butt and legs with antlers. I came down a different route and it ended up a 30 ft. Cliff down to stream. I told buddy I'm dropping it off cliff. Couldn't hold him any longer from sliding off. He tries to get under to catch it. I yelled get out of the way ! He stepped back and when it came down an antler tine poked him in the thigh. I yelled you dumb sob ! Could of been a lot worse. 😳 I drug across stream and said go up and tie my pack frame to a rope and throw down. I cut the buck up and tied to frame and pulled up each time. Got done and when drove off he said don't ever do that again (shoot that high up) 😆 We were on way home from a 5 day camp hunt. About 1/2 mile from hitting pavement. I was driving and still looking for a buck. You know what I mean... I looked left and way up high I saw him and said that's either a bighorn a a big buck way up there. Looked in binos and said it's a buck and I'm going to shoot him. He said I don't see a buck. Lol. You know the rest of the story. Sorry for rambling on so long. A memory will pop into my mind and I want to re live it and tell it. Helps remember them 🤔

That reminds me of something that happened several years (in the early '90's I think) before we relocated here.

A local minister was dragging a Mule Deer that he'd killed, down a steep little drainage. He either slipped or the deer came down on him ….anyway, antler tore through the Femoral Artery. I guess the only good thing is, it was over pretty quickly! memtb

16 Power ? I find that amazing, and I'm not doubting you. I find it difficult to hold my 30x scope steady enough to see clearly. It is very frustrating. Nightforce 8-32 NXS.
You don't need high power, just sufficient resolution. I've got a prairie dog at 1404 and a rock chuck at 1590 and both were shot around 14-16x.

Recent Posts