Western hunting and hunting in general Opinion/Rant/Knowledge

Caveman0101

I've been hunting for almost 40 years, that is to say, all my life I can remember. Started with dove, squirrel, rabbit with 410 and 22. Grew up in the south, hunted and lived out west for the past 27 years. Killed my first deer with a gun when I was 9, first bow kill at 12. Most animals I've taken have been on public land all western game have been DIY. Never really kept count of deer and elk, until the last 6 years when my boys came of age, we've killed 20 elk in that time. So I think probably personally something like 50+ kills with a bow (whitetail, muley, elk) 25 or so with a muzz, 100+ with a rifle. I say all this not to brag but to establish I might know a thing or two about hunting. Mostly these days on hunting trips I get friends and family into a position to kill an animal and I enjoy it as much as doing it for myself and then I bat cleanup late season.
Now to my point, I keep reading guys asking what cal., for a given distance for western hunting and that they would never shoot over 500 yards. I say to myself either this person has no clue what hunting out west is actually like or they are going on a canned hunt where shots can be passed up until you get just the right situation. That being said you should never take a shot you aren't absolutely confident in making cleanly. Know your personal limitation and your firearms capabilities.
With today's bullet design I truly believe up to moose any North American game can be taken with proper bullet placement with 140 grain and up bullets as long as the velocity is within the designed range. This is a primary limiting factor in the bullets performance. So as long as you put it where it should go and the bullet is traveling the appropriate speed at impact they will do their job. !!! Please read that carefully before saying "it doesn't matter how fast the bullet is going if you don't put it in the right spot" I said bullet placement is crucial. But if the bullet is designed to work down to 2200fps then that should be your absolute limit whatever the distance. I've personally seen people in disbelief when you tell them and show them that there range with a 180gr bullet in a 30-06 with a 22" barrel should be limited to 400 yards or less. Because the MV was @2600fps and the low design limit was 2200. My suggestion was if you're going to shoot 30cal with that bullet get a magnum if you want more range or change bullets.
So what I'm trying to say is bullet selection is more important than caliber. After that, it is knowing exactly what your chosen caliber is doing at any given range.
Now about actually hunting. The most consistent way to take elk and deer on public land out west with a rifle is to be able to shoot from ridge to ridge. Mostly that puts the ranges at 400-800 yards. Once I became proficient at this form of hunting elk we've taken multiple elk every year. And for the guy who is going to say "you can always get closer" I can't even begin to tell you how full of bulls!!! that is. I've killed elk at 7 steps with an arrow, I've called in 25+ bulls for friends and family to shoot with bow and arrow, I know how to get close. If you are on public land and have an opportunity to take a good clean shot with a solid rest at a distance you know you can place the bullet at the exact right spot then take it. Because I don't care how far back you think you are, there is more than likely some other guy trying to do the same, or an Fn coyote is about to mess it all up. (had both happen on several occasions)
So in conclusion: stop asking what cal. for out to 500 yards, start asking what bullet should I use for long range hunting that can also do the job at 50 yards. And pick something in a range and weight that you will be comfortable with the recoil.
P.S. I started elk hunting with a 30-06' then 340wby, then 300wby, I've killed the last several with 280rem and 260rem out to 700 yards all one shot DRT.
So think bullet, bullet placement, bullet, bullet placement in whatever caliber you like and shoot well.

Shot placement, projectile selection and velocity when it hits the target...the big three.

As an aside, I went out and met with Don near the Millican (area) in Central Oregon at the "Nosler" range and man was it fun shooting with the old guys. I was astounded at the knowledge of Don and the guys there. I am 59 and was the youngster. The next shoot is August 13 I believe and the second Tuesday in September and October. $10 for two rounds at 300 yards and I got to work the targets up and down and mark the shots like in competition, then I got to shoot prone with some instruction as needed. It was fun practice while beginning to learn the formality of competition. I used my own reloads.
The August shoot is for 500 yards, September at 700 and October at 900? or 1000?
I have never pulled a trigger out past 400 yards even in practice. But, I am really enjoying this "class", and , need the instruction. It ain't easy.
There was room for more shooters and I believe more are welcomed and if you are in the Bend, Oregon area PM me and I will try to hook you up with Don for the August shoot.

It is just inexperience speaking. Those folks should reserve their shots to reasonable distances until they get things figured out (experience). If you need to go online to ask: What caliber, or what bullet for 500 yds, it is a public qualification that you probably don't know guns enough, ballistics enough to be shooting game that far. Also, the " what caliber to hunt_______?" is another tipoff. No secret caliber is going to kill a deer any more than the other once you are in the right parameters.
Here is the secret: There is no constant for making the 500 yd shot and there are MANY cartridges that do it well with a conscientious shooter! Each situation is different, even for the most skilled shooters, which, by-the-way is what makes them a skilled shooter. They know how to dope the wind, they know to consider shot angle, and most important, they know their equipment and limitations.
I too am a believer that a good 140 gr bullet is adequate for anything in N.A. up to the big bears, given the shooter considers the minimum fps for bullet perfomance and keep it to a distance to maintain adequate energy.
I mean, what is the difference between 1800 fps and 1500 fpe whether it is shot out of a .280 or a .338? NONE! They may arrive at those parameters at different points in their trajectory, but they are equal at the point whereas the energy and speed are the same. The quality of the bullet makes the difference after that.

My other nugget of wisdom I'd like to bestow to newbies: always go prone with a bipod when shooting an animal at distance. If not pass on the shot. I don't care what type of rest you buy, short of the ones they use for PRS matches, you will not be steady enough to shoot past 400 yards or so. I've had to prove this time and again to guys who go by the Caldwell tripod rest (or the like) and think they're going to stand up and shoot accurately out past 500 yards with one. Until you can hit a moa size target every time at whatever distance you decide is in your range you should not be shooting at animals. And whatever distance you stop hitting the target every time, well that is your range, until your capabilities improve.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.