Tripod Shot Positions and Western Hunting

Ah good points. Maybe the heavier one would be better suited for my general use then. Not that I'll get to hunt anytime soon. But when I do I usually try to go light.
Light doesn't always mean less stabile. It is really about the design. The smaller the diameter of the head or base the more flex. The smaller the diameter and taller the legs, the more flex. One of the reasons some tripods are more expensive is due to the way in the which the unit is designed and incorporating quality parts. Yes, generally a 8-10 lb tripod is going to blow the doors off a 3 lbr. However, can a 3 lbr do the job.... It can if it's designed right. In september I was shooting rocks off the tripod at 1500. I've killed yotes 700-1125 off that tripod. It weighs 3.5lbs ready to deploy and hold a rifle. It will extend tall enough for standing shots. The problem is that this tripod is by no means cheap in my book. However, after 3 years beating the sheet out of it, I am impressed, and feel it was WELL worth the expenditure. So my point, it may be worth it to you to consider the quality and value together and see where you end up.

PXL_20211106_143038725.jpg

I finally found the balance I was looking for between tripod weight and stability. 28mm top leg and 4 sections.

Usually the clamp is just that, clamps to the rail. The head is what swivels. For cheap you can run a amazon Chinese made clamp. I run a skeletonized clamp for weight reduction for 3 years now, zero issues. I am looking hard at a RRS 50mm quick clamp tho.
Yeah I didn't realize a person didn't need ball head to swivel on a tripod.
I've bought those cheap Chinese adaptors, tapped them and installed them on bipods lol

Yeah I didn't realize a person didn't need ball head to swivel on a tripod.
I've bought those cheap Chinese adaptors, tapped them and installed them on bipods lol
I have an old non swivel Harris bipod that I must of got on trade. I'll have to look into adapting a cheap swivel on there.

Rather that a bunch of cheap Amazon aluminum adapters, clamps, and swivels wouldn't you be better off to just get a plastic Y fork to clamp into the top of your tripod.

I have two sizes of Harris bipods, but just use a Cabela's tripod. I used some of my wife's nail polish to mark preset levels. Carry it adjusted for standing. Then have a different color set for use when I'm using my folding swivel stool. Simplicity.