Well, I guess this Mauser isn't getting a new barrel....

Dave in WI

Spun the barrel off of a 98 Mauser to rebarrel. Cleaned up receiver to check for possible setback on lugs and noticed this where it was drilled/tapped for scope bases.....
Mauser98.jpeg

Just don't let your Base Screws, get LOW enough to be "NEAR, the Lugs",.. SHORTEN them, carefully ( Loctite Down ) to, NOT,.. protrude !
Plenty of Lug, "hold area" remains, just AVOID,.. Max Pressure, Loads !
Personally, I'd "Lap" lugs a Little Bit and,.. Use, the Action.
Does Brownell's still Sell "Short Chambered", Douglas Barrels ??
I've re-Chambered / Re-Stocked, Many of those Mauser's, back in the Day ( 1980's ) with, Douglas Barrels.

Last edited:
That happened a lot back in the day of surplus mausers, while its presence will be bothersome it will fine, Plenty of enfields Springfields and mauser have that issue I never heard of one having issues with setback or headspace problems, it my part of this world about 1 out of 4 rifles were probably surplus, many mausers were barreled to 375 H&H about half of the bottom lug would be ground or milled out to accept the longer cartridge, this act removed a lot more lug than a 8-40 Guard screw, I restocked a old mauser for a fella that was a retired African PH said he'd been using that rifle for 30 years claimed he took over 70 cape buffalo with it, it was chambered in 460 weatherby

The good ole' .280 Rem.,.. is another, Fine Choice for Mauser actions !
The .280 Rem. WAS very Popular in, the 1980's and as "Custom's",.. they Sold, very Well for, Me.
High BC 162's, to 168's, will,.. Humm