Guess I'll thread and chamber my own barrel

mountainman56

Been emailing 4D about getting a Savage drop in chambered in 7mm Dakota. Now they tell me they won't do one on a standard shank in that chamber. They claim that Savage went to the large shank for safety reasons. Seems odd to me since the Savage standard shank is the same size as my Remington 700 in 300 ultra mag. On top of that it will be 14 to 15 weeks. Tried Pac-Nor but they will be 18 weeks. I'm stuck on this cartridge and I know I won't get it out of my system until I have one.

Enough is enough. I know my way around a lathe and planned on buying one when I retired. I'm just going to jump my plans ahead a few years. I realize these people have more business than they can handle but I'm tired of being at their mercy and their time frame. On top of that there is nobody I can depend on within hundreds of miles of where I live. Going to suck it up, buy the equipment I need and see if I can avoid making tomato stakes. :D

Been emailing 4D about getting a Savage drop in chambered in 7mm Dakota. Now they tell me they won't do one on a standard shank in that chamber. They claim that Savage went to the large shank for safety reasons. Seems odd to me since the Savage standard shank is the same size as my Remington 700 in 300 ultra mag. On top of that it will be 14 to 15 weeks. Tried Pac-Nor but they will be 18 weeks. I'm stuck on this cartridge and I know I won't get it out of my system until I have one.

Enough is enough. I know my way around a lathe and planned on buying one when I retired. I'm just going to jump my plans ahead a few years. I realize these people have more business than they can handle but I'm tired of being at their mercy and their time frame. On top of that there is nobody I can depend on within hundreds of miles of where I live. Going to suck it up, buy the equipment I need and see if I can avoid making tomato stakes. :D

I think the reason that they have a problem with the Savage is that even though the shank is almost the same size, the barrel is also the 1.055 for the large shank and the Remington barrel shank is 1.250
everywhere but the threaded part.

If you do away with the barrel nut then you can put a larger barrel shank on the action but it would/should be head spaced by a gunsmith.

I always do away with the barrel nut and install all of the barrels on savages regardless of the threaded tenon size and it supports very large cartridges in the chamber area.

The only problem with is that it is not a switch barrel any more.

J E CUSTOM

I think the reason that they have a problem with the Savage is that even though the shank is almost the same size, the barrel is also the 1.055 for the large shank and the Remington barrel shank is 1.250
everywhere but the threaded part.

If you do away with the barrel nut then you can put a larger barrel shank on the action but it would/should be head spaced by a gunsmith.

I always do away with the barrel nut and install all of the barrels on savages regardless of the threaded tenon size and it supports very large cartridges in the chamber area.

The only problem with is that it is not a switch barrel any more.

J E CUSTOM

Excellent point, I was thinking about that after my rant. I believe I will still go ahead with my project but will do it the way you suggested. Not interested in a switch barrel rifle anyway. This is something I have been meaning to do for some time, I will just step it up a few years. Luckily for me I have a VERY understanding wife. :)

Having your own lathe will not get you the reamer or the barrel one day faster than someone that doesn't have one. If a gunsmith wrecks your barrel it doesn't cost you anything but some time. When you wreck one you are out $350 and another 16 weeks. Even if you don't do anything wrong a reamer can just blow up and jam metal into your chamber walls and the barrel is scrap.

If I didn't do I rifles for a living there is no way I could or would justify $50,000 in the stuff needed to build decent rifles. I would just pay my $300 and play with my other toys till the new one was done. There are lots of good smiths with less than 90 day turn around.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.