Well I bit the bullet and ordered some hammers…help appreciated, don’t wanna waste them

Second in running 1 grain increments to pressure. Saves a ton of components. Once you get into Hammer groove, prob can find pressure in 5-6 loads so you save $$$. Couple other common points is at least 2 PDR bands in neck and start with mild crimp 1/8 turn.. I started shooting Hammers without crimp and saw improvement once I started to crimp. Lee makes real easy crimp die that I think is best way to manage crimp on Hammers. One more is I don't worry to much about jump, Hammers don't seem to care. Just consistent CBTO is what I work off to fit magazine for good reliable feed.

Many thanks to @ButterBean the crimping machine.

To clarify my question how "fine" of a grain ladder do you need to safely find max pressure?

OCW load dev this summer... I had reached velocities on the higher end before I found pressure signs, so next range session I loaded only 3 rounds with 0.1g increase, I fired all fine but didnt notice a huge increase in pressure. So next range session I loaded another 3 rounds with another 0.1g increase in charge weight. I fired 2 fine, but the third I finally felt a slight heavy bolt lift.
Since I was at max velocity for typical published data for similar bullets, so I stopped there.

but, what if I used the 1 full grain per bullet method to find pressure?

To clarify my question how "fine" of a grain ladder do you need to safely find max pressure?

OCW load dev this summer... I had reached velocities on the higher end before I found pressure signs, so next range session I loaded only 3 rounds with 0.1g increase, I fired all fine but didnt notice a huge increase in pressure. So next range session I loaded another 3 rounds with another 0.1g increase in charge weight. I fired 2 fine, but the third I finally felt a slight heavy bolt lift.
Since I was at max velocity for typical published data for similar bullets, so I stopped there.

but, what if I used the 1 full grain per bullet method to find pressure?
I would use .5 too 1 gr increments , being that 257 wby has a lot of freebore , no need too seat past the second drive band.

Can you expand on this or clarify for me... if you find pressure with 1 shot tests and back off a grain is that all thats needed for Hammers?
Real Numbers Example
223cal 70gr HH for 223 Wylde

Nosler suggest starting 23gr Varget
Since I shoot gas gun I'll start 22gr Varget.

22gr = 2500
23gr = 2625
24gr = 2750
25gr = 2875

I notice slight case mark and flat primer at 25gr.

I'll then load 2 bullets

The 2 that shoot best is what I'll go with, even with slight pressure sign.

After doing the above method for years. I now just stick to the 25gr pressure load. I can gain slight advantage in ES, SD, and tighter groups by playing with .3gr variations. Will do so for Prairie Dog Loads. But for hogs and coyotes I don't bother with it. Dang bullets always seem to shoot under 1MOA even with the sting of 4 different loads.

Hope that helps.

Numbers example for Absolute Hammers.

.264 97AH for 6.5 CM
I started with an old Sierra Load data for their 85gr Varminter ( no longer in production).
BDDE8A3F-B056-4B8E-A962-022EFAC9EDAD.jpeg

I started with 42gr or Ramshot TAC. Found pressure at 44gr.

Loaded 2 rounds
43.4gr @ 3410 FPS
43.7gr @ 3490 FPS
44gr @ 3550 FPS
44.3gr@ 3445 FPS
Every one of these loads were SUBMOA. But the one with the least ES and SS was the original 44gr. That's what I used for this years Prairie Dog Hunt.

Don't forget Brian and Steve put out a Reloading Video: