Weight Sorting Brass Question

This is a new rifle. Rem 700 ADL that I got super cheap at Walmart. It shot factory Fed 150gr power points into 2.2" during break-in with junk scope that came on it. It will be a longer range deer rifle, as I have a .300 Ham'r for the shorter range stuff. Would also like to use it to accomplish a bucket list goal of "1000 yard kill shot" (on target).

I have H4831SC and RL22 currently, along with some 162 ELDX bullets and Fed 215M primers. Searching in vain for H1000 and Retumbo...

Hi Tony, I have the same rifle with the 26" barrel and I used remington ammo to break it in.

I have developed loads for 140gr, 150gr, 154gr, 160gr and 162gr bullets so far.

For the 160gr and 162gr bullets IMR-4350 and has worked best for me but I plan on trying out H1000 and IMR -8133, I'm in the desert so I need a temp stable powder that won't pressure spike with the hot weather.

With the 140gr, 150gr and 154gr bullets I'm at half MOA groups at 100 yds.

With the 160gr and 162gr I'm just under 1" so will continue working on those to shrink the groups a bit more.

Oh and I don't sort by brass by weights, I just do Not mix brands. I do have New Winchester brass and also New Remington nickel plated that I will try my loads on and see how the group and fine tune if needed.

Hope this helps

I tried sorting by case weight then compared it to alcohol volume weight and found the two aren't exclusive. I think you can mix headstamp as long as the volume is with-in the range you decide is acceptable.

Darrell

Don't waste your time sorting brass by weight. Even some bench rest guys don't do it anymore .

You need to sort by brass make, that's about it.

Have you ever test brass weight to case capacity? You will be surprised that most Brass that weighs very differently all have almost the same case capacity. And that's what is important for pressure, next is neck tension and case length, which will affect back tension.

Sort brass only by make, then resize, trim all the same length and you will be fine.

Don't waste your time sorting brass by weight, it doesn't mean much

Weight sorting is a waste of time.
Use cases that have the same head stamp and from the same batch.

Then full length size, trim and chamfer, debur flash holes and ream the primer pockets. If you want really good loads then also neck turn them.

Once the above is done THEN you can wieght sort if you feel you have too. But where is the extra weight? In the rim thickness or diameter?

Internal volume is far more inportant than the weight of the case.

Had some Nosler custom competition brass that is apparently weight sorted. After fully case prep the weights were all over the place.

In my AR-15 I shoot and reload a mix of brass and manufactur I use the same bullet but these are my practice ammo. I have separated brass loaed for my accuracy loads. Seams to do good for me and it's good for my muscle memory I do the same with my pistols. However in my bolt guns its same everything same way.

I would throw it all off a cliff and start over .

Taking Weiser's advice...sort of. I bought a shooters pack of 100 Norma brass. Gonna weight sort the once-fired stuff I have then load a variety of them to the same node that I find with the Norma brass to record any variations. Just out of curiosity. Will post results.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.