Weatherby...your feelings

Redhead, I have replaced a couple of triggers in weatherby vanguards with the timney. About $100 and you can do it yourself not real hard.

Now for owning weatherbys I am not a fan for one reason and one reason only. Like mention by JE Custom a factory rifle to me is a donor action and only a donor action. To me there is nothing like having a rifle built to your specs the way you want. To spend the money on a weatherby you could have bought a custom action with all the bells and whistles. Same with Remington when you have them the way you want they cost almost as much as the Defiance I use from my gunsmith.

Brent

Last edited:
I have a Timney in a .375 Weatherby, much improvement set right under 3lbs crisp. I have had it on about 10 years put on by Timney, boy the prices have gone up! You wont regret it.

Weatherby?? No! Too much 'Hollywoodish'! Show guns all!

Not as long as I can have this:

It's difficult enough to get TWO LOCKING LUGS to mesh right....much less the multiple lugs on the Weatherby!!

I'm a fan. I like my Accumark 338-378. Great shooting rifle. Like someone else stated, I like the Mark V action and the short bolt throw on it. One thing I don't understand is why Weatherby makes their barrels with freebore in them, preventing reloaders from seating their bullets just off the rifling. I think this could help tighten groups in some instances.

I'm a fan. I like my Accumark 338-378. Great shooting rifle. Like someone else stated, I like the Mark V action and the short bolt throw on it. One thing I don't understand is why Weatherby makes their barrels with freebore in them, preventing reloaders from seating their bullets just off the rifling. I think this could help tighten groups in some instances.

They FREEBORE their chambers to get that speed most youngsters think one must have!!:rolleyes:

The gun has a "Mark V" stamp on it, and the seller indicated that it was an Accumark. I'm not sure of the difference or if they're the same. If someone could enlighten me I would appreciate it very much.

thanx!

Rhino Hunter

The AccuMarks have Mark5 actions with a stainless, fluted barrel, and a composite stock. Go on the Weatherby website & look at the specs. You have a generation 2 AccuMark. In my mind it's THE Weatherby for hunting. The fancy wood varieties are for showing off — indoors. Yours will SHOOT and it will do so for more years than you are likely to be hunting. (Let me know when you want to sell it.)

No, not a fan. Shot quite a few, never owned one, don't plan on owning one. As has already been mentioned, there's enough problems getting two locking lugs to mesh evenly and with ful contact. But nine? I know they're touted for strength, but I've seen Weatherby's blown up (badly) and no mecahnical device is truly idiot proof.

That said, I'm first and foremost a competitive shooter, which means Weatherby has nothing to offer me. They cater to hunters, and that's their market. But I've never seen one on the firing line of any competitive discipline, and don't expect to anytime soon. No aftermarket items (as there are for Remington 700s or Winchester 70s) available for the competitive shooters means I'd be fighting an uphill battle, and I don't need the frustration. Bottom line is, if they offered anything in the way of an advantage, I can assure you, competitive shooters would be using them. They're not, hence my lack of interest. No offense, but to each his own!

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Has anyone purchased an after market trigger? I am seriously considering a Timmney replacement- $ 152 + gunsmithing. I shot a full compliment of Tubb bullets through my SS ultra lite. Shoots better, but still room for accracy. Over all , I love my ultra lite. gun)

Get a new trigger from Ernie the Gunsmith:
Weatherby MK V Hunter Trigger Spring (current US mfg. rifles)

Find the directions on "How to Install" on the weatherby.dk site:
Weatherby Rifles Forum.

No gunsmith needed. :D

Just did this to Dad's ULW about 6 weeks ago, and it's great!

The AccuMarks have Mark5 actions with a stainless, fluted barrel, and a composite stock. Go on the Weatherby website & look at the specs. You have a generation 2 AccuMark. In my mind it's THE Weatherby for hunting. The fancy wood varieties are for showing off — indoors. Yours will SHOOT and it will do so for more years than you are likely to be hunting. (Let me know when you want to sell it.)

Buano,

Thank you for the Weatherby lesson. I wanted a hunting gun, not a fancy safe-queen, which is why this gun appealed to me. It just looks, feels, and shoots like it wants to go hunting. I guess we'll see next week.

But, don't hold your breath waiting for me to sell it though. :D

Thanx!

Rhino Hunter

......but I've seen Weatherby's blown up (badly) and no mecahnical device is truly idiot proof. ......

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Kevin, do you mind sharing your observations regarding seeing blown up Weatherbys? Any detail you could provide on the circumstances of this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Weatherby?? No! Too much 'Hollywoodish'! Show guns all!

Not as long as I can have this:

It's difficult enough to get TWO LOCKING LUGS to mesh right....much less the multiple lugs on the Weatherby!!

What's your toy? (Pictures are nice but specs make it real.)

Kevin, do you mind sharing your observations regarding seeing blown up Weatherbys? Any detail you could provide on the circumstances of this would be appreciated. Thanks!

No problem at all. Case I was involved in some years back, involving a guy who should have been a poster child for factory ammo. The case revolved around his purportedly getting a 7mm/.284" bullet in a box of .277" bullets. The rifle in question was a Weatherby chambered in their 270 Wby Mag. We purchased a 270 Wby Mag identical to his and tried to reproduce his loads; 7mm bullet seated in a 270 Wby Mag. Surprise, they actually would chamber, though I'm sure there wasn't much in the way of neck clearance. We then fired this combination over 20 times, and got nothing but stiff bolt lift. At the end of the testing the rifle was, according to magnaflux examination, undamaged. The customer/plaintiff's rifle was completely shredded. Literally, the only usable parts that survived off that gun were the sling swivels and the recoil pad. The rest was junk. Six of the nine locking lugs were sheared off as though it was done in a mill, the action opened up completely, the barrel split at the chamber area and extended about a quarter down its length . . . you get the idea. The guy had used this same ammo the year before to take an elk. When he went up to finish it off, he found that the bolt wouldn't open. Wound up taking it to a gunsmith to get it unlocked, gunsmith told him that his ammo was WAAAY too hot. So what's he do? Continues to use that same ammo for the next years hunt. This time he wound up with a bolt through the face. Since we'd tried (unsucessfully) to recreate the situation, clearly there was more to the story that we weren't hearing from him. The total in his little comedy of errors that we demonstrated were; He was using an outdated reloading manual dating from prior to the introduction of the IMR 4831 which he supposedly loaded the ammo with; he was using data for H4831, a significantly slower and not interchangeable powder. He failed to notice the distinct difference in force taken to seat a .284" bullet in a case sized to accept a .277". He also failed to heed the pretty clear warnings that both the rifle itself and then his gunsmith gave him that the ammo was too hot. My own supposition here was based on the fact that the guy only reloaded a box (as in 20 rounds) every other year or so, nothing more. He also had a can of IMR 3031 on the bench (Red lable on the can) and a can of IMR 4831 (Orange label on then can, Red, Orange, they're close so what's the difference?). While we didn't try the charge weight he reported using in his original affidavit while substituting IMR 3031 for the IMR 4831, I still suspect that's precisely what he did. Since the sample ammo of 4831 we tried didn't damage the gun, that was the only logical explanation. That said, I expect that such a combination would deliver the catastrophic failure I saw in this customers rifle, no problem at all.

Never said the Weatherby's weren't strong, just that when you try to make something idiot proof, you breed a better grade of idiot down the road. This clown never should have been allowed anywhere near a reloading bench, but he did leave me with a few lessons and impressions that I've never forgotten. He wound up suing the bullet company, Weatherby, IMR powder company, the sporting goods store where he bought the bullets, and probably whoever made the cereal he ate fro breakfast that morning. The companies involved (not Lapua, who I'm with now) settled the case out of court rather than waste time with a trial. I've always had a problem with paying people for being stupid, but that part of it wasn't my call.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.