Weatherby Mark V (Germany) 7mm WBY Mag - 7mm REM Mag Fired Through It - "Won't Shoot Strait" - Weird Obstruction?

Just so you know-- before you go putting jb weld into any more chambers in the future--- ptg makes broken case extractors in almost every caliber --- they are adjustable and actually use your bolt and their tool to extract the broken case-- about $50 each.
Your pics didn't look like brass in the chamber to me and if there was a broken case in their then a new cartridge would not fit/chamber correctly and allow the bolt to close.
Another cheep tool to invest in is a teslong bore scope-- you could have taken a close look at the "neck and shoulder area" in the chamber.

If the past owner was chambering and shooting 7 Weatherby mag ammo without pressure signs-- I would have shot it to confirm his " won't shoot straight" claim--- may have just been a loose action bolt or scope mount bolt.

Please don't use a Dremel tool 😉
Also if you can get some dry Ice or liquid nitrogen, plug the barrel just in front of the case and fill it. The difference in the copper/brass will shrink/contract more that the steel of the barrel and should allow you do just tap it out with out trying to use epoxy.

Just for future reference, sometimes you can use a bronze bore brush as a poor man's stuck case remover. Find a brush that will fit the case body snugly. Insert your cleaning rod from the muzzle and screw on the brush in the open action. Pull the brush into the case body. The brisles of the brush will now be angled to the rear and bite into the case body. Then simply bump the cleaning rod to the rear and pop the stuck case body out to the rear. This has worked for me several times for case head separation.

Good Morning Smiths and Enthusiasts alike,

I'm hoping to garner a little insight from you guys about a Mark V that was given to a pal of mine after the previous owner "gave up" on it.

Firstly, let me state that I am not a gunsmith. I am a hobbyist. I hunt and shoot long(ish) range regularly but, by no means do I claim to be an expert in this arena. The little bit I do know has gotten me by, in regards to repairing and modifying my rifles so, naturally my friends and inner-circle sometimes recruit my efforts in helping them with their rifles as well.

In my present situation, I have a Weatherby Mark V (Germany) which is chambered in 7mm WBY Mag. The previous owner claims to have accidently fired 7mm REM Mag through it. He wasn't clear on how many times he did this and he didn't really supply any details about the experience overall. He did conclude however that, since then, he hasn't been able to get this rifle to "shoot strait," even with factory ammunition. He decided to give up on the rifle and handed it down to a mutual friend - through our church. Our mutual friend is a close one to me and, I am hoping to get him into hunting this Fall so, the news that he acquired this rifle as a gift was welcomed.

I have the rifle broke down to the action and barrel now. I haven't noticed any obvious issues on any exterior components so, I placed the action in my vise and began cleaning the bore. Upon doing so, I noticed something peculiar about the cartridge chamber. (At least, it seems peculiar to me), because I don't recall ever seeing anything like it before, on any other rifle. That said, I don't own any Weatherbys so, I can't accurately judge.

Anywhoser, there seems to be a "sleeve" of some type in the cartridge bore. My first thoughts directed me to a memory of an old SKS I once owned. The previous owner fired a brass cased 7.62mm through it and it ripped the head case off, leaving the brass body stuck in the cartridge bore.

The fix was fairly easy but, before I started pushing two-part molding epoxy into this rifle, I wanted to reach out and make sure I'm correct in assuming this brass lining inside the barrel throat isn't something proprietary to Weatherby rifles. Have any of you seen this? I can't honestly say I can think of a good reason for a manufacturer to utilize a wear sleeve in a chamber so, I'm suspicious of the object but, I am not an engineer, or a gunsmith or, an owner of any Weatherby rifles so, I don't want to make any assumptions.

Based on what I'm seeing however, my theory is that the 7mm REM Mag case might have been a "hot" load or for some other reason might have produced excessive pressure. When it was fired, it split the case right at the bore start and the remaining section "swelled" to form inside the chamber. Due to the 7mm REM Mag cartridge dimension being slightly larger in diameter than the 7mm WBY Mag (.5127" VS .5117), the 7mm WBY Mag cartridge was able to fit inside the stuck case and be fired.

Am I grasping at straws here?

Any help ya'll can provide is greatly appreciated. I have attached a few semi-detailed photos to this post.

Thank you again and, happy shooting.
I have seen this once before when a guy chambered and shot in 300 Weatherby magnums cartridge into rifle chambered in 300 Winchester magnum. What happened being that the bullet same caliber, it went down the bore, being that the 7mm Remington is shorter, the base blown off where the brass casting in bedded into the chamber. Gunsmith time, my friend. I own a Weatherby Mark V in 300 Weatherby magnum no sleeve in the chamber. I don't know if the world find a gunsmith to fix the now chamber problem.

Last edited:
Interested in how the 7rm shot through the rifle, how accurate it was. How accurate was the rifle prior to shooting the incorrect ammo? Doesn't shoot straight can have different meanings to different people. The assumption is it doesn't group now and it did prior. How many 7rm round went through the rifle?

Also if you can get some dry Ice or liquid nitrogen, plug the barrel just in front of the case and fill it. The difference in the copper/brass will shrink/contract more that the steel of the barrel and should allow you do just tap it out with out trying to use epoxy.
Epoxy is already in there (post # 27)

Wow that a real puzzle to me. I own three mark 5 rifles, two of which are Weatherby magnums. A. 270 Weatherby and a .300 Weatherby. I have never seen what you are showing us. This is just a lame guess, and a dumb question, but could that be the remains of the brass belt left behind after the 7 Rem Mag was fired in the 7 Weatherby Mag Chamber?? In the gun shop back in the 70's, a guy came in with a 7mm( 280 ) case stuck in a 7 mm Rem Mag chamber. The issue he said ,was the cost of 7 Rem Mag ammo , compared to the non-magnum ammo. The rifle could not extract the case and we, in the store, were not able to remove the stuck case. We recommended a gun smith. I would suggest the same to you buddy. Find the best smith you can, and send it to him for proper removal, with minimal damage. Good Luck Buddy Please keep us posted !!

Looks to me like it needs a really good deep cleaning and then rescoped. As a machinist there is no way with the dimensions you gave (I didn't look them up myself) that there could be a "sleeve" from a 7 Rem mag and have a 7 WBY chamber. There does "appear" to be a crack inside that circle from the enlarged photo but I have my doubts that there is. I do believe that that is where the belt would sit in the chamber and it looks very dirty to me with brass particles and possibly carbon. As I said above I would give it an extreme cleaning and send the bore scope in again. Take pics after cleaning. If you can't get it to shoot after that I would take it to a gunsmith.

And as a side note: If you plan to reload for it in the future, don't worry about the belt when head spacing. I have a 300 Win Mag, custom 6.5-300 Wby (my great uncle built in the 1970s) and a custom 7mm-300 Wby (my dad built the 1980's) and I don't worry about the belt for headspacing on any of them.

Good luck with this gun. The worst case scenario is it gets a new barrel.