7mm Rem Mag Reamer

denphillips2

I am setting up a long range hunting gun for a buddy of mine. It will be a 7mm Rem Mag on a Remington. He picked up a Bartlien 8.5 twist in a palma contour. The barrel has about 300 rounds on it and is chambered for 284 and 32" long, so there is plenty of room to get a great barrel out of it especially for what he paid for it.

My question is, what should I get for a reamer as far as free bore and neck. Most likely looking for a minimum no turn neck diameter.

From what I have seen looks like the bullet of choice will be in the 168-180 grain weight.

Open to any input.

Yes, I will call Dave Kiff and talk to him also for his recommendation.
Might just go with a zero free bore and a separate throater.

Thanks!
Denny

Get a standard finish chambering reamer. Use a throating reamer to cut the throat to your chosen bullet after you have shot it some (in case your barrel doesn't like the particular projectile you have chosen).

Get a standard finish chambering reamer. Use a throating reamer to cut the throat to your chosen bullet after you have shot it some (in case your barrel doesn't like the particular projectile you have chosen).

+1
Excellent advice.

Stay with a SAAMI spec reamer to start with and adjust the loads to improve accuracy.

PT&G,Manson and Clymer all make good reamers.

J E CUSTOM

Do you plan on using it as a repeater or SS if repeater I would put a Wyatt box on the build.
I like to order my reamers with the proper free bore so I can duplacate the exact free bore on the next build.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.