Weatherby Mark V (Germany) 7mm WBY Mag - 7mm REM Mag Fired Through It - "Won't Shoot Strait" - Weird Obstruction?

Also if you can get some dry Ice or liquid nitrogen, plug the barrel just in front of the case and fill it. The difference in the copper/brass will shrink/contract more that the steel of the barrel and should allow you do just tap it out with out trying to use epoxy.
A can of computer duster turned upside down will do the same thing and is a little easier to aim.

I haven't read all the replies you have had, but I had another thought. If the stock is not bedded, could there be a crack in the stock behind the recoil lug?
I hadn't noticed anything when I looked it over but, I hadn't considered that possibility then either. Now that you mention it, I'll definitely look it over more thoroughly. Thanks so much for the suggestion.

So if it is a case head separation, that means the rest of the case is still in the chamber. Ok so the case of another cartridge will fit inside the separated case, I can see that. So then tell me how the case inside of the other is still going to chamber with the shoulder and neck of the case of the other still in the chamber. It is not going to happen. He already said he chambered a 7mm Weatherby Round. I will get pics of my barrel in the morning. The neck of the separated case is still 7mm. Another is not going inside of it.

Last edited:
My suggestion would be get the epoxy "boo boo" out of the barrel first.

Get some Cerrosafe chamber casting metal from Brownell's. Clean the chamber, Follow Cerrosafe directions. Cast the chamber, This will give you a exact negative of the chamber.
Measure and compare to loaded shell, and a drawing of 7mm Weatherby Chamber. This should tell you what, If anything has happened in the chamber when the 7mm Rem Mag was shot in the rifle.

The free bore in a Weatherby chamber can make for problems finding a load that will shoot bug holes.

Good Luck in this adventure.

That's sir is a 7mm magnum the Weatherby guns say 7mm wby mag or magnum
Not the early German ones. Plus He would not be able to chamber a 7 MM WBY in a 7 MM RM. Impossible.
FYI 7 mm WBY (1949) mag was around long before 7mm RM (1962). Din't need to specify at the time

Last edited:
Gentlemen,

Thanks so much for all your insight. I am learning a lot here. I have a couple more questions for you all, if you don't mind. Firstly, if my pal and I decided we wanted to go ahead with replacing the barrel, would any of you have any suggestions on where we might be able to find one that will fit this vintage receiver? I've looked around a bit but, have not yet had any luck finding one chambered in 7mm WBY Mag. I did find however, a factory barrel for the Mark V German chambered in .300 WBY Mag which, brings me to another question. This one might be a silly (and/or) common sense question but, I'd like to get some advice before I make anymore calls on this rig. The receiver and bolt for this rifle should be able to run a .300 WBY Mag cartridge, right? The barrel should be the only thing that needs to be changed if a shooter wanted to switch from 7mm WBY Mag to .300 WBY Mag, correct?

It's my understanding that both cartridges are based off the H&H and that they have very similar case head dimensions. Is this correct?

I'm still working on getting this chamber cleaned up but, I am also trying to explore all options before hunting season. If it seems that it would be more expedient to replace the barrel and get to developing a load, that might be the route I want to take. If any of you know of an old factory barrel for the Mark V German laying around or of a good recourse to find one that will work, I would really welcome the direction.

Thanks again for all your help, fellas. It is mightily appreciated.

Gentlemen,

Thanks so much for all your insight. I am learning a lot here. I have a couple more questions for you all, if you don't mind. Firstly, if my pal and I decided we wanted to go ahead with replacing the barrel, would any of you have any suggestions on where we might be able to find one that will fit this vintage receiver? I've looked around a bit but, have not yet had any luck finding one chambered in 7mm WBY Mag. I did find however, a factory barrel for the Mark V German chambered in .300 WBY Mag which, brings me to another question. This one might be a silly (and/or) common sense question but, I'd like to get some advice before I make anymore calls on this rig. The receiver and bolt for this rifle should be able to run a .300 WBY Mag cartridge, right? The barrel should be the only thing that needs to be changed if a shooter wanted to switch from 7mm WBY Mag to .300 WBY Mag, correct?

It's my understanding that both cartridges are based off the H&H and that they have very similar case head dimensions. Is this correct?

I'm still working on getting this chamber cleaned up but, I am also trying to explore all options before hunting season. If it seems that it would be more expedient to replace the barrel and get to developing a load, that might be the route I want to take. If any of you know of an old factory barrel for the Mark V German laying around or of a good recourse to find one that will work, I would really welcome the direction.

Have a smith spin up a blank for you

Gentlemen,

You have a few options generally speaking. You could have a local smith chamber a blank for you as cohunt said. If it were me I'd still call Weatherby and see what they will do. You could have the original barrel set back or saved. Or they could spin on a barrel of your choice. As far as dimensions to change up to a 300 WBY I don't foresee any issues. But again Weatherby could confirm for sure. If the owner reloads I'd probably stick with a 7mm WBY. Just my two cents.

Gentlemen,

Yes, going from a 7mm WBY to a .300WBY its not problem. Only barrel.

If I were you I would try and get the epoxy out, give the rifle a good cleaning with a carbon and copper removers.
I would check the twist of my barrel, And shoot again with the right ammunition. Depending on how old it is, it might have a slower twist.

Question I asked before and I am asking again, is very important. The early German rifles had the safety on the tang, (triger was made of "pot" metal). If your is one of these and never upgraded, it would need to go to Weatherby and it would be expensive. (I have one of these orginal, keeping it as is and don't shoot it)

In any case I would give Weatherby a call.

Finally, back to rebarrel, I would find a gunsmith that works on Weatherbys. 7mm WBY or 300 WBY, that would be a personal choice, just select a faster twise to handle the new choices in bullets.

Yes, going from a 7mm WBY to a .300WBY its not problem. Only barrel.

If I were you I would try and get the epoxy out, give the rifle a good cleaning with a carbon and copper removers.
I would check the twist of my barrel, And shoot again with the right ammunition. Depending on how old it is, it might have a slower twist.

Question I asked before and I am asking again, is very important. The early German rifles had the safety on the tang, (triger was made of "pot" metal). If your is one of these and never upgraded, it would need to go to Weatherby and it would be expensive. (I have one of these orginal, keeping it as is and don't shoot it)

In any case I would give Weatherby a call.

Finally, back to rebarrel, I would find a gunsmith that works on Weatherbys. 7mm WBY or 300 WBY, that would be a personal choice, just select a faster twise to handle the new choices in bullets.
I agree with this. I'd first try to clear the barrel or have Weatherby do it. Especially if the original barrel was a shooter. Plus Weatherby could spin on a factory barrel, or any barrel of your choice. Whether they'll do that is up to them. But I don't see any reason why they wouldn't.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Recent Posts