Weatherby Mark V (Germany) 7mm WBY Mag - 7mm REM Mag Fired Through It - "Won't Shoot Strait" - Weird Obstruction?

Free rifle, have it rebarreled or put up a "want to buy" ad for a Weatherby barrel. I don't have much back ground on Weatherbys but feel pretty sure that the action could accept several different cartridges besides 7mm Weatherby, say 270 or 300 Weatherby, 7RM, and others. Hopefully some of the good smiths on this forum will chime in. With all the newer high BC bullets, I'm sure a lot of Weatherby owners have rebarreled to faster twists and still have the factory barrel laying around they will sell.
May need to get your post count up so reply to all these responses, should get you there.

I will take some pics of mine tomorrow evening. I don't see anything that looks like brass in the pictures posted. Maybe I am not seeing something. Mine is not in an action so I should get some good pictures. Just trying to help out here!

If I understand correctly, he's chambered and shot 7 wthrby since shooting 7 REM mag in it.
I haven't shot the rifle personally but, the guy it used to belong to claimed that he noticed the mistake he made with the 7mm REM Mag cartridges and switch back over to 7mm WBY Mag. When he did so, he "wasn't able to get it to shoot strait again." He did supply two (mostly full) boxes of ammunition with the rifle. I was able to get a loaded round to chamber and the bolt to close completely on it.

Free rifle, have it rebarreled or put up a "want to buy" ad for a Weatherby barrel. I don't have much back ground on Weatherbys but feel pretty sure that the action could accept several different cartridges besides 7mm Weatherby, say 270 or 300 Weatherby, 7RM, and others. Hopefully some of the good smiths on this forum will chime in. With all the newer high BC bullets, I'm sure a lot of Weatherby owners have rebarreled to faster twists and still have the factory barrel laying around they will sell.
May need to get your post count up so reply to all these responses, should get you there.
Thanks for your input!

I do not see how a 7mm weatherby cartridge will chamber in that rifle. I bet if you ran a cleaning rod with a nice flat tip in from the muzzle you would feel the case neck as the rod "clicks" past that lip.

This is a dumb question but does it have 7mm weatherby stamped on the barrel?

The 7mm rem mag and 7mm weatherby have almost the same rim diameter but the 7wby is .100" longer C.O.A.L.

.100" of "shoulder Jump" is a bad thing lol

I do not see how a 7mm weatherby cartridge will chamber in that rifle. I bet if you ran a cleaning rod with a nice flat tip in from the muzzle you would feel the case neck as the rod "clicks" past that lip.

This is a dumb question but does it have 7mm weatherby stamped on the barrel?

The 7mm rem mag and 7mm weatherby have almost the same rim diameter but the 7wby is .100" longer C.O.A.L.

.100" of "shoulder Jump" is a bad thing lol
Yep, it does have a stamp on the barrel. This morning I was able to get the factory ammo to chamber and the bolt to close but, I didn't fire it (I'm sure you can imagine). I attached a picture of the stamp.

Here's the kicker. After reading through some responses and showing the pictures from my earlier post to some other guys at work, I felt semi confident that I had a stuck case scenario going on.

As a result, I pushed an ear plug and some kneadable epoxy into the bore. In the past, I've let the epoxy set over night then, used a cleaning rod to smack the broken case out the next day.

Now that it's sounding like the ring I'm seeing in the chamber is actually part of the barrel, I'm downstairs trying to knock the clump of epoxy out. It's already proving to be very stubborn.

I'm starting to fear I may have ruined this barrel. In that case, I suppose I'll need to start looking around for a replacement.

Boy, I feel very stupid about all this.

Attachments

• 20220720_214226.jpg
    20220720_214226.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 296
Yep, it does have a stamp on the barrel. This morning I was able to get the factory ammo to chamber and the bolt to close but, I didn't fire it (I'm sure you can imagine). I attached a picture of the stamp.

Here's the kicker. After reading through some responses and showing the pictures from my earlier post to some other guys at work, I felt semi confident that I had a stuck case scenario going on.

As a result, I pushed an ear plug and some kneadable epoxy into the bore. In the past, I've let the epoxy set over night then, used a cleaning rod to smack the broken case out the next day.

Now that it's sounding like the ring I'm seeing in the chamber is actually part of the barrel, I'm downstairs trying to knock the clump of epoxy out. It's already proving to be very stubborn.

I'm starting to fear I may have ruined this barrel. In that case, I suppose I'll need to start looking around for a replacement.

Boy, I feel very stupid about all this.
I wouldn't feel stupid. From looking at your pics I might have done the same thing. That doesn't look like any belted magnum chamber I've ever seen. However a 7wby cartridge still chambering is weird. If you told me "Jimbo fired a 7rem mag cartridge from his 7wby and now look at the chamber" and then supplied the pics you have supplied, I would have said "looks like a stuck case to me". I might just be really stuck!

Recent Posts